Look

sonia owen

Morning All,

At our last carers meeting a carer made the comment, about her hubby. That many had said to her. He doesnot look like he suffers from Dementia. It made me start thinking. Is there some kind of look that people are suppose to look like then, that have this illness.
What do you think? Is it just one of those comments one makes!!!
Love Sonia xxx

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Good morning Sonia,

Perhaps if they did have a 'certain' look it would help us as carers for people to understand and accept that they will act a little differently to everyone else. I am not sure that I would like my husband to look different, the only thing that remains of my husband is his looks.

I must admit that before my husband was diagnosed with alzheimers I thought dementia was just a memory problem. Never would I have imagined all the other things that go with it.

Jay

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Those who know nothing about dementia will think of a sufferer in the very late stages - totally unaware and with that blank sort of expression. Sadly they do not realise that it can take many many years to get to that stage, if at all.

Perhaps the person who said it was trying to be kind.

chucky

Feb 17, 2011
UK
Hi sonia, i can relate to that. There is a look about my dad who is in the late stages of dementia and he mostly just sits and stares. However, some days he looks just like his old self and some days he does have a demented look about him, mostly when hes trying to make sense of something and is confused. I have learned to "read" his face and know when hes not having a good day. I remember a few weeks ago i said to my brother dad has a demented look about him now, but its hard to describe. I would say its not a universal thing that all sufferers portray, but in my dads case theres a definate difference.