How do you keep in contact?

jessibee

May 14, 2010
I think that sending cards, letters and photos is a good idea, and if you put people's names on the photos and the relation they have to your mum it would help the staff to be able to name whoever it is and talk about them and to recognise that she is not just a person in a vacuum. My dad would read the post several times a day not knowing he'd already done so, and anything like this would be a joy each time, and actually was remembered. I was lucky though because he didn't get as far as full blown dementia, although sometimes he was pretty poorly.

This next bit souinds a bit preachy, and I'm going to say it anyway: Whatever happens don't spend too much time thinking about it and blowing it all out of proportion (I hate washing up, and do that, putting it off for ages, then, when I do do it, and it only takes 10 minutes!), so just give things a go and do them. Ask for some advice from the home as well to see if they have any suggestions about what she might be interested in. That could be helpful - and ask them about the phone, please. If they say it's a nuisance, ask why, and what they would suggest. There may be better times to call, and they may be able to tell you what other relatives do.

Do you knit - make her some gloves, or a teddy, or crochet a heart, and sew on a tag with who it/they is/are from so the staff can repeat over and over who it is from.

I know it's already been said, and I strongly agree that you do have to enter her world, and me and my dad did do a lot of reminiscing, often prompted by me... It meant I learned more about him than I had previously known, and I could then use it as a distraction tactic. I got to hear the same stories over and over, but that's the nature of it. One day you will miss having that voice there, so just take a deep breath and go for it.

Another thing we found really useful was that dad also had a small photo album with pictures of the family at birthday parties, and his house (all labelled) which went with him to hospital every time (made the staff realise he's a person with people who care, too, not just a patient). It gave us something to talk about, too.

Good luck, and try and involve the home in all you are doing - they are meant to be helping your mum out as well as caring for her needs. It might help you to set a time and day when you do this, too, so that it doesn't overshadow your whole time. I hope it goes well for you - I know the anxiety can take over. Best of luck.

OurMargaret

Dec 28, 2011
Displaying those cards and photos

Just a quick tip. Especially around Christmas you can buy a set of small wooden pegs in red or gold especially designed for hanging Christmas Cards. They are perfect for hanging stuff and are also decorative. I bet you can still find them now. Buy 2 or 3.

Now I'm going down to get more beautiful cards for my sister.

strawberrywhip

Jun 26, 2006
kent
Photo books!

MIL was in a home about an hours drive away so we could get down and see her...talking in the past tense because she passed away at the end of march.
Even seeing her weekly, because her memory was so poor she forget we had been. I found it was therapeutic for us as well to make little photobooks for her...some from old photos, all labelled with names and what was going on..as though you were making a book for a toddler.. a few words so the nurses at the home could talk her through them. It made us feel as though she was still in touch with the family..grand children eventually found it too distressing to come, so we sent her photos of outing, weddings etc.
When she died we took the photos to the funeral as well as lots of photos before this dreadful disease took her away from us, and we were able to celebrate the lovely person she was. Hope this helps you both.
Even Mum who has not got Alzheimers just STM problems hates using the phone and will avoid it at all cost..I find letters, cards and photos the best means of cxommunication.
You need time to heal yourself as well, this is so distressing for everyone..try the photobooks xx

Linas

Jul 20, 2011
hi

I use Skype too, it's very effective and gives me the chance to see my mother as well as speak to her.

I use software called LOGMEIN which allows me to operate a laptop, which is in her room. I initiate the call and then phone her to get her to sit in front of the laptop.

I also post pictures of the family and set them as a screen saver so she is regularly kept up to date. Sounds complicated but it was quite easy to set up.

Your comments and those who have replied remind me that we are not alone. I can relate to so many of the experiences you and others are having. It's so difficult to deal with as we lurch from one crisis to another.

regards

linas

zoflora

Apr 14, 2009
Hi
I have just started to send mum postcards when we go to places to visit.
Went to visit some lovely gardens the other day and picked a bright and colourful postcard with a few lines written on the back. The carers will read this to her and it will be in her room and brighten it up. I also send her postcards of the town in which we live.

Just a thought....

zoflora