Prepaid Funeral Plans

scarletpauline

Jul 19, 2009
Leicestershire
This may have been covered before but I have no idea how to search for a link. I have been pondering about taking out funeral plans for Jack and myself, think this would be a good idea and wondered if others have also done this and/or what TPers think.
Pauline x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`ve been meaning to Pauline.
I got as far as visiting two funeral directors but have gone no further.
It would save Paul a lot of hassle if I sorted it.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
We did this for my mum but haven't done so yet for us. It was so helpful when mum died in July. My brother did it all and the staff were so helpful. He went to a local funeral director who gave him a leaflet which set out 3 levels of funerals and their costs. Someone talked him through the whole process and gave him all of the information he needed. He then brought the leaflet home to talk with me. Once we had decided everything thing was put in place. When mum passed away my brother just phoned them and they took over. They really were excellent.

I think you might also be able to do it online. Here's one link to give you an idea.

http://www.co-operative.coop/funeralcare/?gclid=CMrwoJq-968CFQ0KtAodqSmXFw

As I say we didn't use this way. The personal visit to somewhere local meant that the staff knew all the local information.

scarletpauline

Jul 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Thanks, do you know this kept me awake, worrying about it, silly me. I will talk to Jack about it but I think he will think it's a good idea, maybe I should talk to the children about it too. At least once it's paid for, that money can't be used towards care.
Thanks for the link Izzy, good idea though to use a local funeral director. We have a very good one locally.
Love Pauline xxx

rosiee

May 7, 2012
Pre paid funeral plans

Hi, I took these out for my Mum and Dad last year and I recommend it. They say it could save you money as once its paid its paid, no matter how many years they're held for but also the money is not in the bank account if social services do their accessment. I used Age uk, did it all online, easy and simple to do (sorry but this system wouldn't let me put a link in, but if you search Ageuk site funeral plans you'll find it)

Sadly my Dad passed away a few months later and the funeral plan made a difficult time so much easier. All the decisions were already made I just had to sign paper work and sort out hymms and prayers, which could be stated on the plan as a preference for if you wanted to.

I'm hoping its years before I need it for Mum, but when the time comes it'll be one less worry.

with regards

Rosiee

Heather777

Jul 24, 2008
Bristol
Pauline, both my mum and dad did funeral plans-my mum even wrote what she wanted the service to be like. These were a fantastic help to us as we didn't have to think about the actual logistics of things. The scheme gave us the chance to pay for a couple of extras so made us feel like we had planned something other than the date. I would recommend it-they were taken out with a local funeral directors who will be able to give you the details-I dont think it is a morbid thought but a real gift to those left behind. When I hit 50 that will be the thing I do for my daughter!
Heather

zeeeb

i think they are a great idea. Alot of funeral homes really capitalise on grief. many people don't really care about the fan fare and fancy expensive coffins, but if you have to choose one for your loved ones, you feel like you can't be cheap, so end up paying more than most people would care to pay.

my FIL pre-paid his funeral, but still they put the hard sell on after he died asking if we needed this and that, and "someone" siad "yeah, ok" not realising that they were all (unecessary) extras that we had to pay for.

quite frankly, i'd be happy to be buried in a recycled cardboard box, because i'd rather not waste the resources when i'm gone, so i'll pre-pay to make sure perfectly good wood doesn't go to waste on my behalf.

Last edited:

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
I think it is a good idea Pauline, having just dealt with dad's funeral, I didn't really know what he wanted but just did my best, it was expensive, just under £4,000 and we didn't have any frills really. The brief announcement in the local paper was £74 which I thought was a lot. It would also take some stress away from relatives.

scarletpauline

Jul 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Seems like it's a good idea, I have emailed the kids and see what they think but can't imagine they will object.
I have the Co-op in mind as they have a local office.

Pauline

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Good idea............

One of the benefits is that when you are assessed for care if a plan is already in place it does not count as one of the "assets" but if it is not in place you would only be allowed the £23,500 disregard and would still have a huge bill of around £3,000 to face when something happened.
It also takes pressure off loved ones especially if you have been able to express your wishes yourself. We haven't been able to afford to take one out but I have prepared plans for loved ones.
You can just pop into any funeral director to discuss this, and you can pay and plan as much as you wish for example you could pay for the most basic package and then pay a "top-up" later when you decide exactly what kind of coffin you want. Just bear in mind the price you pay now may not fully cover the costs later in Mum's case the fees for the minister had gone up a little as had one or two other things. That said paying a little more now may cover you for inflation some offer that as a "deal".
They will ask you several questions like do you want burial or cremation? Is it to be a religious ceremony if so what denomination? do you know what music or reading may be desired? Of course all these details can be added later, but if you want to you can plan it right down to the last detail. You can also leave instruction about little touches that may be hard to think of "on the day".
There is a body of professional funeral directors which you should make sure you provider is a part of as it insures the funeral against the possibility of your chosen director closing down. I can't remember what they are called and they should mention it anyway. I think it's the National Association of Funeral Directors.
In response to comment about going for cheaper packages, I would encourage anyone to try and think about the person who has left them. Would they feel comfortable about a LOT of expense or would they prefer a big show of love and support from family and a cheaper ceremony. I have already left instructions that mine must be "the cheapest possible" with any residual money going to benefit my loved ones not being spent on a fancy coffin that will only be viewed for 30 minutes or so, just my opinion, and I know for many cultures a "good send off" is essential

Errrrr did I tell any of you one of the people in our local funeral directors is retiring later this year and I've actually applied for his job? Something I felt a great spiritual connection with on the few times I've been involved and that I feel I could offer a special quality to.

Last edited:

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
This may sound a bit morbid, but because I knew mum's life was fast coming to an end, last year I created labels for all the people I would have to notify, so that when mum died I was able to send out the funeral invites.

I had also been putting together an obituary to her which the priest read out yesterday.

Plus once my brother took on POA we sold some shares she had, cancelled several standing orders and subscriptions, then amalgamised all her bank accounts, so that at the end the only thing we had to deal with was notifying her private pension providers, DWP and her bank.

Although we didnt have a funeral plan, I have to say that the funeral directors made it very easy for us and what we thought would be a difficult process actually proved to be very easy.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
I'm just gobsmacked that a funeral costs £3K. I saw details of these plans in a Building Society yesterday and it pointed out that it doesn't include flowers or the wake.

Talk about the wedding industry cashing in.... at least you have a choice whether or not to get married.

sonia owen

Hi Pauline,

We did this for Trev's mum. I know its not a thing that we like to think about let alone talk about. But we found everything so much easier when she passed away. We did'nt live near to her. We did it through Age Concern or what ever they are called now.
You have now got me thinking about my dear old mum. She has mentioned a few things to me over the years to what she would like. It may be a good idea to deal with the matter, sooner than later. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us Pauline.
Hope you and Jack are both well. I see from some of your pictures, you are still out and about enjoying times out. Good for you.
Take care. Cold down here at the moment.
Love Sonia xxxxx

flowerpot

Jul 27, 2010
Rural North Northumberland
Hi, I think this is a great idea. My FiL has his funeral all paid and sorted but not MiL. We have discussed this with her and she's quite happy for us to arrange this for her. As yet we haven't but something we should do sooner rather than later. As it will make things so much easier when the time comes.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
This may have been covered before but I have no idea how to search for a link. I have been pondering about taking out funeral plans for Jack and myself, think this would be a good idea and wondered if others have also done this and/or what TPers think.
Pauline x

A much-loved aunt who died last summer had taken one of these out a few years before she developed AD. Until she started going downhill she'd been a very organised person and having no children of her own had wanted to save us all hassle, bless her. Must say it all worked very well and was a help at the time, since none of us lived very close by. And of course it was very good to know exactly what she wanted.
She had even specified 'all jewellery to be returned to the family'. I was still there with her in the CH when the undertakers came, and of course would never have dreamt of removing her wedding ring - it would have seemed so hideously vulture-ish. One of the undertakers had no such qualms - just did it without asking. And I must say they were very good - matter-of fact but very kind and considerate.

I think I would consider it myself, just to save my children the hassle of organising/wondering what I'd have wanted. Only it seems too morbid to think about now, and must say I'm always very put off by the TV ads that must have paid a bomb to Parky.

Edit: actually, it wasn't a 'plan', now I come to think of it - she'd just paid for the whole thing in advance.

Last edited:

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
BB, hope you get the job if it is what you want, it takes a special person I think. The company we dealt with were so kind, but not over the top, very kind but practical, obviously, and so efficient. There must be a fine balance to be had. I will not forget the kindness of the man we dealt with.

With the cost, I was amazed that we were charged £152 for the Dr to sign the death certificate too!

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Another one who was grateful that my mother had prepaid for a plan. Just something I wanted to add: one advantage of a plan (over a prepaid funeral with a specific undertaker) is that it is transportable. That is, if you move the funeral plan can move with you. Also, of course, you need to be certain whoever you give your money to will still be around when the time comes for the funeral.

scarletpauline

Jul 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Another one who was grateful that my mother had prepaid for a plan. Just something I wanted to add: one advantage of a plan (over a prepaid funeral with a specific undertaker) is that it is transportable. That is, if you move the funeral plan can move with you. Also, of course, you need to be certain whoever you give your money to will still be around when the time comes for the funeral.

We have been to a local funeral director today and have all the information we need I think, plus we have some stuff coming from the Midlands Co-op. As far as I can see, they are all pretty similar, and I was reassured today that if we move the plan can move with us.
Our money will go to our three children, hopefully they will still be around when the time comes for our funerals.

Thanks to everyone, love Pauline xxx

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
one advantage of a plan (over a prepaid funeral with a specific undertaker) is that it is transportable. That is, if you move the funeral plan can move with you. Also, of course, you need to be certain whoever you give your money to will still be around when the time comes for the funeral.

Those are two very good points.

I'm currently looking at funeral plans for Mum - we will be paying by credit card. If the funeral supplier were to go out of business, then we will be protected under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
We sorted my mother's funeral out at the beginning of December and paid for it. We had already had the experience of my father dying totally unexpectedly in Guatemala, where he was living, and really didn't want to repeat that.

We will still have some decisions to make and money to pay out as we will be burying my mother's ashes with her parents. The cemetary is in Québec and Mum is in Ontario but since she is being cremated, that will make things a little easier.

My husband and I intend to do the same for ourselves in the next couple of years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mjr57