Ice Cream works wonders

jussiejus

Feb 23, 2012
Shrewsbury, Shropshire
I just thought I would like to convey some happy news which I am sure all of us have at some point, not many but we make the most of them.

I was visiting my dad on my own the other day, and he was in a reasonable mood, well he didnt shout at me, which is fine, we chatted as much as we could, me rambling on and dad rambling on in his own world, but the one thing that unites us and will never separate us, is our joint love of ice cream. He suddenly said he hadnt had any for 3 months, last week it was, so not needing to be told twice, I got in my car, Sainsburys here I come, 3 tubs of ice cream, strawberry & vanille, chocolate, double choc, and toffee and fudge oh and for good measure egg custards.

When I returned with my goodies, he couldnt quite make them out, so I sat on the floor beside him, opened each one and fed him a spoonful (or two) of each of them, the look on his face was a look always to be remembered. Then I showed him the egg custards, you would have thought he was starving, bless him, 3 egg custards later (hang on dad I love them too), I then used one of the metallic wrappers and filled it with ice cream and put the rest in the freezer at the home.

It has been a good week for his moods, ice cream does help him, and me, not sure what next week will bring, one day at a time, but I fear his cancer is back ................... as does the doctor from the home, ironic wont it be if the dementia doesnt get him, the cancer will. Unfortunately the type of cancer dad had in that region was rapid and very aggressive, took his ear within 6 weeks and spread, only the fabulous skills of his oncologist saved his life and of course his sheer determination to see his great grand daughter grow a bit more, she was only months when he was diagnosed.

Anyway dear friends, onwards towards the ice cream xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That's lovely. In my mum's last days she was able to whisper 'is there any ice cream in the house?'! We got some from our local Italian ice cream shop and it was the last thing she ate. 3 cheers for ice cream! x

SMH

Sep 5, 2011
Dorset
Ice Cream

My mum also adores ice cream. I often buy packs of choc ices and after a meal will ask mum if she would like one. She always says 'that would be lovely, but I don't have any in the house'. I take one out of her freezer and present it to her, she's always delighted, but keeps telling me she doesn't have a freezer. Oh well, it doesn't matter does it, she enjoys the ice cream! :p

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
Jessiejus - Lovely news (good to get some good news here on TP) :) and SMH good idea about the choc ices I'll get some for my mum - she'll always eat a pud!! :D

Pollyanna

Jul 8, 2008
The power of ice cream!!!

Both my Grandma's loved their ice-cream. When I was growing up and staying my one grandma we always had those slabs which were cut up and held together with two wafers. Days out always featured an ice cream. During my last ever visit I said that I'd bring her one next time, sadly I never got the chance.

But, nothing beats a nice day and a walk in the park with a strawberry ice-cream. I don't think my Nan would mind that I ate the one I promised to bring her.... It was lovely :). That's how I remember her now, no trips to the cemetery, but a walk in the park with an ice-cream!

My other grandma always said that a holiday wasn't a holiday without an ice-cream every day. No one can argue with logic like that!

What lovely memories...thank you :)

jussiejus

Feb 23, 2012
Shrewsbury, Shropshire
ice cream

Thank you for all of your replies, maybe we should lobby our MPs for free ice cream, I bag Ben & Jerrys please phish food preferably lol !!!!!!!!!!!

It is amazing how much our people love ice cream, maybe it is because when they were little they didnt have a lot of it ????????????

Love grandma walking with grand daughter and ice creams, what a wonderful tale to tell, thankyou.

Hope we all have good days today xxxxxxxxxxxx

Owly

Jun 6, 2011
ice cream is very theraputic shame it cant be prescribed on the NHS

I think it is!! :D :D :D

One of the reasons my mum appears quite contented in hospital is, I think, because they give her little pots of "lovely" ice cream every day.....

:cool:

wdfortyplus

Feb 23, 2010
Lol!!!!

wonderful ice cream! ... made the connection. ;) irrelevant of he didn't know what it was. The taste is what mattered and what he enjoyed! Have to remember that one!

jussiejus

Feb 23, 2012
Shrewsbury, Shropshire
wonderful ice cream! ... made the connection. ;) irrelevant of he didn't know what it was. The taste is what mattered and what he enjoyed! Have to remember that one!

Hi, the reason why he couldnt make out what I had is because his eyesight is poor, not because he didnt know what it was, sorry should have made it clearer.