How do you cope with a grade 4 pressure sore?

Haylett

Feb 4, 2011
How frustrating Pied. I'm sorry. I guess they don't know either and they don't want to give false hope that the PS is sorted. I dress and redress Mum's every day and it neither gets worse nor better - and that's been the case for two years. Sometimes, it seems to close but then it gets infected and opens again. There are red patches that come and go and everything is a worry, isn't it? I hope that it doesn't break open - but I hope that this time they also have your Mum's pain under better control. Fingers and toes crossed Pied.Hx

sallyc

Aug 20, 2008
suffolk
Still thinking of you Pied.

Such a rollercoaster you're on. I guess there's not much you can do just now, except watch and wait.

Please try to pace yourself. You need to look after yourself, as well as your Mum.

Sending you a (((((hug))))) and a bucketload of positive vibes.

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Oh Pied , Just "Catching Up " ( out for the Evening ) & so sorry your Mum 's sore is not realley healing but good she enjoyed her puddings !

So sorry Pied not sure what to say except sending much Love , Peace & Comfort to you & your Mum for the days to come .

Take Care & try & de-stress / relax when you can Pied ( you need to look after your self Pied ) Will be thinking of you both while'st you "Watch & Wait " Pied

Love & Hugs Love Grove x x

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Thank you so much. Good to hear from you Sally. Hope you have had a good day, Grove. I need the hugs and the peace and comfort. It's such a long road we travel with dementia, isn't it? And it's so tiring. X

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Pied , Thanks for your kind words & reply am glad it helps you cope . Yes you are right it is tiring caring for our loved ones with Dementia

Just a thought Pied the C Diff :eek: is very , very nasty not nice :eek: & the other C Home used to work in a Resident came back from Hospital with it ( or so the Hospital Nurse said luckly it was NOT true ) So gess the T Nurse is "Playing Safe " & not giving your Mum any more A B 's ( Meds ) Pied

Take Care

Love & Hugs Love Grove x x x

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
lots of support pied don't know what to say or advise but will say a little prayer for you tonight !
I went out with margaret today but im still feeling pretty rough lucy comes back from respite tomorrow
luv you sis !

anniebee

Jan 26, 2012
Perthshire
sending best wishes

Hi Piedwarbler
Just managing to catch up with your thread having only recently joined. I am blown away by your strength and courage, you are an example to us all. I am very sorry your Mum has had such a time of it and hope her improvement is sustained. I also hope that you keep well as it sounds like you have had a difficult time yourself. Please look after yourself, my prayers are with you.
Sending you a hug
luv anniebee

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Oh dear Pied, I am so sorry to read your latest news about your Mum, and you, what this is doing to you. A nightmare rollercoaster. Nothing I can say will help, I can only send you sympathy and wish you find strength to see you through this very difficult time for your Mum and yourself. The warmest of long gentle hugs.

Thinking of you
With love
Loo xxx

Dottie

Sep 12, 2010
Dear Pied,

Just checking in to see how you are doing & hoping today has been an easier day for you? You are right it is a long road we travel with dementia but there is always someone/others walking alongside us on the road so we are never alone.

Much love & thoughts to you,

Love Dottie xx

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
I don't know if it's my body saying enough!

Could well be, Pied. You've had a time of it recently haven't you? I hope you feel better soon. Sometimes I think humans were meant to hibernate in winter. Well this one is anyway.

Try not to worry too much about your mum right now. You need to get yourself well first. I know what you mean about picking up bugs from the kids. I eye every toddler with trepidation these days, particularly the viscous ones, and use a lot of handgel after they've handed back any books! :eek: A few weeks ago we had to go through the whole stock disinfecting the (plastic) covers. Manager being cautious I think.

You take care of good yourself. (Order!) :cool:

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Pied , Just a quick "Post " to check how you & your Mum are , do hope you & your Mum are ok & that you had a restful Weekend

Take care & thinking of you both

Much Love , Support & Hugs

Love Grove x x x x

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Hello, I'm on the mend I think thanks, but my sinuses are still blocked and I feel so weary. Thank goodness it's half term - I need a day in bed!
I went to see Mum today, she seemed much the same as before, possibly less agitated. I took a gooseberry fool today and she ate almost all of it. She said her bum hurts. I rang a couple of her friends, her best friend is 80 next week, so they chatted, or rather, E chatted, and Mum smiled and nodded a bit.
I asked the staff how Mum is and they said about the same.
I'm going to go on Wednesday as the hairdresser may be in. Mum hasn't agreed to a hair cut since last May, so her hair is getting very untidy. I'm hoping to encourage her to have a trim.
Me? Oh I'm having aches and pains and hot hot flushes that make me feel faint. It feels like a slog trying to get better. Roll on spring, we need some nice days don't we, to lift our spirits.
I went on a creative writing course last Saturday, which I adored. I'd love to write more.
Another hot flush has gripped me - I'd better be off to bed.
Lots of love xxxx

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hi Pied , Sorry that you still feeling poorly & make sure you have lots to Drink ! & HAVE A P J 's Day over Half Term ! :) or better still " A Day In Bed " :):)

Lots of Love & Hugs

Love Grove x x x

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Mum seemed well today

Hi everyone, I haven't been around this week because I have been trying to rest, and this meant I didn't go and visit Mum, but I went this afternoon. I found Mum in a perky mood, she recognised me and chatted quite a lot, although not all of what she said made sense. For example, she said, "I think I need you to come every day," and when I asked why, she said, "Because those other people can't reach!"

I fed her a Gu blueberry cheesecake which she polished off in no time, and then the carer brought me and Mum a slice of home made carrot cake each and a cuppa. That was delicious. Mum ate all the cake too which surprised me. She also drank the cuppa and about 120 mls of ribena, so a very good eating day.

On the way out I stopped to talk to the nurse and we had a chat about Mum. She said that Mum still has the soft patch (I think it's called a moist lesion or something) on her back, and that she is off all the antibiotics, but the tissue nurse has discharged her. I said I couldn't believe the change in Mum, and the nurse said she couldn't either. I said, I really thought Mum was on the way out in January, and she agreed with me, and said she thought the same. I said and now look at Mum and how much better she is, and she sort of frowned and said well.... and then there was a pause. So I said I suppose what you are saying is Mum is still very frail, and she said yes. She said we have to wait and see how Mum goes now all the antibiotics are leaving her system, so I guess we will just see. She said there is one more antibiotic they can try that will not raise the risk of c diff but I said I just wanted Mum to be comfy. She has oral thrush and they are getting her some stuff for that - I dare say that's caused by the antibiotics.

So, all in all, a good visit, Mum was in a good mood and very comfy. She was on a 30* tilt with her feather pillow and said she was very happy and in no pain. And when they turned her she didn't make a sound. So I feel quite content, though drained. The last few weeks have taken it out of me. In a couple of weeks it will be two and a half years since Mum left her home for the very last time, a day I recall vividly because although she knew she was going into the home for a week's respite, I did not tell her the ambulance was coming at 1 pm - she got acute anxiety attacks and would not eat or sleep if she knew she would have to leave the house. (Don't get me wrong, she had agreed to go into the care home for respite, but just didn't know exactly when in the week it would all happen - although she could not walk, she thought she was going to walk out to my car and climb in it - an impossibility given her mobility, so I had had to book a 2 man ambulance and a wheelchair) So in the end she went very suddenly, and had no time to take her leave of her beloved home - which she loved with all her heart. After a week in the home, she wasn't begging to go home, as I expected, instead she was begging to stay and was terrified and anxious they were going to force her to go back home. I then had a couple of weeks to try and help her decide was she staying in the home or going back to her house. She was totally against going back home and begged the social worker to let her stay.

It has been a hellish two and a half years and looking back there have been many times I have thought I could not stand any more, and yet somehow we face another day. How much worse these years must have been for Mum, being terrified alternately that I was going to sell her house, or not sell it and make her go back and live in it.

I don't know why I am dwelling on all this tonight - it seems like a milestone somehow. I had better stop wallowing hadn't I and get on with Friday!

Hope you are all well and I am so sorry I haven't the energy to post much. I have so many threads to catch up on. Thanks for all the PMs too. I will get around to replying to them all.

xxxx Love, :)

Last edited:

Mo_N

Oct 29, 2009
South East Essex
Nice to hear from you Pied. I was wondering how you & your mum were getting on.

Your mum & mine must be made of the same stuff. They have both bounced back from the brink. :D

I really hope your mum continues to surprise everyone.

I know how draining I have found the last 6 weeks & I'm not recovering from a serious health problem like you. Take great care of yourself won't you.

Love to you & the family

Mo
x

carpe diem

Nov 16, 2011
Bristol
Hi, I think we are all more resilient than we feel. It's lovely to hear your mum is pain free and all the interesting background on your post. I hope you can rest a bit more over the weekend, put your feet up and eat some chocolate. Big hug to you both.