and Back in Hospital

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
Mum had yet another UTI in January, which took three different types of ABs to get under control, but she never seemed to fully recover and when I visited on Friday she was unable to write a birthday card - sad to see another skill lost. She was also extra wobbly when she walked.

That evening I got a call from the CH to say they had found her slumped half out of bed, been sick, wet herself, teeth fallen out and they couldnt wake her up. I suspect when they found her, and based on past experience, she had had a seizure. She was still very jerky. Apparently they had put her to bed earlier as she had been unable to walk and had been checking her every 15 mins.

Doctor had been called, put her on more ABs and had actually left by the time I got back there. By then they had her all cleaned up and tucked up in bed. Very little response from her but she was opening her eyes a bit.

Visited her again yesterday morning and she just didnt want to wake up, but they had got her up earlier, got her to the toilet, washed and changed and she had drunk a little water. She had been sick again during the night.

However yesterday afternoon got the call that they were calling the doctor again as they couldnt wake her up. Doctor spoke to me and we agreed that she needed to go to hospital to get drugs intraveneously. I got there and even when they lifted mum onto the stretcher and out into the cold (sleet & snow) night air she didnt even stir. We arrived at MAU at 6:00 and it wasnt until midnight that we were seen by a doctor. Treatment as expected, but wont know any more until later today. At no point had mum woken up.

Then had a nightmare journey home at 1:00 in the morning in the snow and sleet across the hills of the South Downs - absoutely amazed I made it as there were abandoned cars and skid marks all over the place. No news yet this morning.

I H A T E b****y UTI's.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Oh dear Sue, so sorry to read this about your mum. I hope the IV treatment works for her. Also just wanted to say don't go rushing around today, the roads are treacherous and your mum is safe and being cared for. x

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Oh dear, Sue, what a nightmare for you. But one consolation, at least you weren't having to cope with this in your own home on your own. It sounds as though the CH staff have been very supportive.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
What a worry for you, bad enough when road conditions are good.

I hope the intravenous a/bs work well for your Mum. You will be on edge not knowing what to expect with this wretched disease.

Keep us updated when you have chance.

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
Oh dear Sue, I really feel for you. With this treacherous weather around, please do take care and let us know when you have some news.

Thinking of you

Mary
x

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
I can imagine that nightmare journey Sue - with all the worry and the wait and the awful weather. I do hope your mum is now beginning to respond to treatment. Will be thinking about you and hope the snow thaws quickly.

together

May 25, 2010
Derbyshire
So sorry - what a dreadful day. I agree 100% with your final statement. Hoping things improve quickly and do take care in this awful weather. Katherine x

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Sue, I hope you have some better news about your mum soon. Thinking about you and your mum.

turbo

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
Hello Sue, so sorry to hear about your Mum. What a worry for you, but she is having the treatment she needs. I hope there is better news soon and you are avoiding driving on treacherous roads.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Sorry to hear that Sue. Glad you are safe and hope your mum responds well to treatment. x

Farmergirl

May 24, 2011
Cornwall
Oh Sue, Im so sorry!

You must be worried sick yourself! But rest assured that mum is being cared for and you have been a great daughter.
I feel so upset by this news, as I feel we have reached the same stage,and we were supporting each other along.... but I have to say that mum hasnt had any UTI trouble.

Our weather here is good - mild, dry and no snow, but I would echo what everyone has said...dont travel out - you will stress yourself and really, you cant do much until the medicine has started to do good.
Wishing you (and mum) all the best and a speedy recovery.

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
Thanks for all your kind wishes and support. Have to agree that when someone is in a Care Home you are still caring for them - just differently.

It was my youngest daughter's birthday today so we all went off in the snow for a lovely pub lunch - just what I needed. OH and I then went off to visit mum, and fortunately the roads were a lot better.

The good news is that mum can now be woken up and they have got her in a chair a couple of times, she has also had a bit to eat and drink - huge improvement. The not so good is that she is still totally incontinent, didnt want her teeth in (she never takes them out, not even at night), has pulled her cannula out 3 times (as expected) and keep pulling the oxygen tube out. We got there just as they were changing her and her bed as it was wet and they had found her sleeping head at the foot end. She hardly recognised us and is obviously still very poorly. As soon as the bed was made she just asked to go back into it, lay down and went straight to sleep. At least when she is alseep she keeps all the tubes in :rolleyes:

The doctor had said that they wanted to keep her on IV ABs for 24 hours, but I would be surprised if she is discharged tomorrow. She is now hot to the touch which she wasnt yesterday, so I feel the infection still has a strong hold on her. She also has a slightly irregular heart trace and low sats, so she is on oxygen, On a positive, they seem to have a really good grasp of dealing with patients with dementia.

Knowing the care she is going to need to fully recover from this I am again just so grateful that she is now in a CH. When I see two or three careworkers gently changing her and getting her cleaned up, or a couple of nurses at the hospital, I really wonder how I managed on my own before.

Dottie

Sep 12, 2010
Hi Sue,

I hope your Mum continues to improve, what a nightmare for you, please look after yourself too.

The first paragragh of your first post on this thread could have been written by me, also the last line about what we think about UTI's :eek: :eek: :( :(

This really is a wretched disease on so many levels,

Take care Sue, thinking of you,

Love Dottie xx

Redwitch

Mar 24, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Hi Sue

At least your Mum is being well looked after, we don't always here that the NHS are doing a good job, hopefullky they will keep her in a little longer to get that infection undercontrol.

Here's hoping for some more good news tomorrow

Jan
x

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
I was wondering how your mum was doing Sue? i hope she is improving. Thinking of you x

Thank you :)

She is definitely more alert today. Keeps getting up and wandering around, but fortunately it is an 8 bedded ward with nurse permanently in situ so cannot really come to any harm. They seem very good with her. Drinking but not eating, but they keep trying different foods and have managed a small piece of toast and some tinned peaches. Refused oral ABs so still on IV, despite continually removing cannula. She recognised me today, but cannot really understand conversation or instructions. Managed to get her teeth back in - very reluctantly. Still incontinent and not really aware of it. They will do further tests tomorrow, but if she continues to recover at this rate I suspect she will be out Wednesday or Thursday.

Shouldnt really say this, but just so relieved that the CH will be dealing with the incontinence and not me. I say this every time, but each UTI just takes more of my mum away. I suspect the time will come when the ABs just stop working. I do worry about her future.

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
My mum has. also become incontinent at times Sue and i thought just the same. I'm glad she is more alert and is clearly in the right placefor the moment. Its also good that she will have the ccare home to go back to where she knows everyone and they know her. take care x

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
Ray into hospital and it is up to me again

You are so right. As soon as our loved one leaves the nursing home the care is back on us again. As POA and Guardian for Ray and as the "responsible person" for Mum I am at the beck and call of both homes.

Ray has been back in hospital the past four days, not a UTI most probably a seizure or stroke, but the result is the same, I have to go to the hospital, fill in forms, give a medical history, sit by the bedside in case I am needed.

Sue, my Mum is still in care aged 93 and although she has severe Alzheimers still eats and sleeps and maintains a life balance. So I am called in every time she has a crisis too. Seems as if the staff need the reassurance of a family member being present.

I love them both and of course visit in between but sometimes I feel like I am just on a long lead and can be reeled in any time they want me.

At least I don't have to contend with snow as well! Hope this episode is soon over for you.

(((hugs))) from Sue.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp