what do i do?

jill edwards

Jan 7, 2012
After nine weeks in MODERATOR NOTE: Name of hospital removed with broken hip dad has been moved to assessment centre much further from us across the other side of Birmingham due to his confusion. He has only been there since Tuesday and due to the move has become even more confused when I went last night he had crocs and dogs in his room. I visited every day in MODERATOR NOTE: Name of hospital removed we only live a mile away but i do work full time. Got a phone call at half eight this morning to say dad had fallen and they were taking him for x ray ive been up all night im shattered but feel guilty atnot rushing to hospital MODERATOR NOTE: Name of hospital removed. The centre have said they will phone me as soon as they know what is happening. I just feel really bad about the whole situation I dont know what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

jill edwards

Jan 7, 2012
news

After nine weeks in qe with broken hip dad has been moved to assessment centre much further from us across the other side of Birmingham due to his confusion. He has only been there since Tuesday and due to the move has become even more confused when I went last night he had crocs and dogs in his room. I visited every day in qe we only live a mile away but i do work full time. Got a phone call at half eight this morning to say dad had fallen and they were taking him for x ray ive been up all night im shattered but feel guilty atnot rushing to hospital(Name of Hospital Moved by Moderator). The centre have said they will phone me as soon as they know what is happening. I just feel really bad about the whole situation I dont know what to do.

dad had not done a y more da.age but was very confused in hospital and also his speech was very bad, i talked to the nurses they dont think he has lewy bodies but the consultant in hospital queeried it should i get power of attourney and how do i do it?

Last edited by a moderator:

kazza73

Feb 11, 2009
Perthshire Scotland
It's difficult to say, if he is very confused it may be that he already lacks capacity to grant POA. Only a professional would be able to tell you the answer, if he is already past the point of appointing a POA there are other routes you can go down- applying to the COP for guardianship or to be appointed deputy.
Sorry I can't be much more help.
At least at the moment you know he is in a safe place and being cared form
Karen xx

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
if
he is already past the point of appointing a POA there are other routes you can go down- applying to the COP for guardianship or to be appointed deputy.
Sorry I can't be much more help.

This is actually on and the same thing. If your father is deemed not to have mental capacity, you will have to apply to the Court of Protection to be appointed a Court Deputy. Once you are granted this, the Office of Public Guardian will supervise your Deputyship. It can take some months for this to be granted. In certain circumstances it can be fast-tracked but this still took me 3 months.

If you can arrange LPA, it is an easier option and the supervision is considerably less and, in the long run, can work out cheaper, so do try this route first. Forms can be downloaded - just google them - but your father will have to be considered to be able to understand what he is doing. Good luck. Come back for more help if you need it on either application.

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Jill, you must be so relieved to know that your dad has not done any further damage after his fall. I hope you manage to get some rest.

turbo

jill edwards

Jan 7, 2012
thank

thanks for your support and advice dad was better on Sunday but bad again tuesday and Wednesday there doesnt seem to be a pattern but im keeping a diary to see its afew days good and then very bad now hes been in the assessment centre a week im going to try and find out what the prognosis is so i can help to make a decision.
i really appreciate everyones advice and support thanks