Lack of communication and speech

LynneD

Aug 7, 2010
Essex
:(I know my Mum can talk, but since last week she only says NO and looks scared all the time. She does smile sometimes. She is now in respite care and is the staff says she is okay.
She cannot ask for the toilet or a drink or food - What do I do?????

She has been seen by paramedics and her GP, who say there is nothing wrong???

She can follow simple instructions like brush your hair!!

My Dad feels guilty about putting her in a home and is very upset and distraught - what can I do?

Lynne

kazza73

Feb 11, 2009
Perthshire Scotland
Would your mum be able to use a picture board to communicate at all? A sheet with simple illustrations that she could point to to let carers know what she needs? It is something an OT suggested we try but mum's vision/spatial awareness is badly effected so she couldn't point to the right thing/couldn't see the pictures.
My mum's speech has been very poor for several months- we now only get a few recognisable words and often they make very little sense. She does seem to understand some of what we say to her but is unable to respond/converse now.

It is very difficult. Mum often seems to be trying to tell us something and you can see the fear and frustration on her face because she just can't find the words or make them make sense.
K x

Charizomai

Aug 17, 2010
Cape Town
www.metameerkat.com
It is very difficult. Mum often seems to be trying to tell us something and you can see the fear and frustration on her face because she just can't find the words or make them make sense.
K x

I share your experience. I wish I could understand and I wish she could express. I try and guess, but know I get it wrong some time. The only grateful thoughts I have is that I really tried to get to know her well the past few years in terms of small things, so I know what she prefers, e.g. coke instead of water :)

Sox

Mar 12, 2011
I too share your experience but with my husband - sadly this seems to be part of the decline - he only said NO to everything, even when I knew he meant something else, for a number of months now unfortunately he has no communication at all - I just have to guess. He can follow directions i.e. stand up, sit down but I have to repeat it several times. I find strict routine also helps. Take care. Sox