Just an angry rant about work

simonmonty

Nov 22, 2008
Yorkshire
Been told today that I must work faster giving personal care and shower people faster.
I wonder what I'm expected to do dehumanise the people I care for, Take away their choice, respect, privacy, Not let them do things for them self's. Am I just expected to drag them off to the toilet and whip them incontinence pads out and slap another one in there and send them on their way! Jet wash them down in the shower just to save time! :mad: I wonder if they know what "Person Centred Care" is :confused:

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Hi Simon, my old buddy,

Why do you have to do it faster? What is the reason?

No, you must not "jet wash" residents, you must spend time on such a personal activity as helping wash their naked body, you must pass them the soap to help themselves if they can, and help them towel themselves off after. I would imagine that giving someone a shower is a very personal thing, and it warrants a bit of time spent to make the person feel special and nice. It's not just a hygiene event.

But if your care home says do it faster well, I suggest you soap the public bits of their body yourself (back, neck, arms, legs), give em the soap to do the private bits, and reduce the drying time to just functional drying, none of that wonderful time of standing in a warm room, with a warm towel around you, that is SSOOOOH nice.

Do you have a choice, Simon?
Love

Margaret

simonmonty

Nov 22, 2008
Yorkshire
Hi Simon, my old buddy,

Why do you have to do it faster? What is the reason?

No, you must not "jet wash" residents, you must spend time on such a personal activity as helping wash their naked body, you must pass them the soap to help themselves if they can, and help them towel themselves off after. I would imagine that giving someone a shower is a very personal thing, and it warrants a bit of time spent to make the person feel special and nice. It's not just a hygiene event.

But if your care home says do it faster well, I suggest you soap the public bits of their body yourself (back, neck, arms, legs), give em the soap to do the private bits, and reduce the drying time to just functional drying, none of that wonderful time of standing in a warm room, with a warm towel around you, that is SSOOOOH nice.

Do you have a choice, Simon?
Love

Margaret
Yes I do have a choice I can tell the moron who wants me to work faster to let me jet wash then down and see how they like it!:eek:
Hello Margaret :)
I think in training we should have role reversal were the carers become the people being cared for including senior carers who want us to work faster and do to them what I am being told to do to the residents. :mad: I think then they will appreciate Person Centred Care and what it means!

Last edited:

Mariondb

Aug 24, 2011
Time and Motion......it crops up in all walks of life. Speed rather than doing something properly and for Carers it is ridiculous. With all the publicity on standards of care for the elderly and infirm, these people in charge simply do not learn.

Carry on doing as you are and caring about what you do with pride........don't let your own standards drop simply because some idiot on high has decreed that you should. I suspect they won't do anything about it simply because of all the adverse publicity...

HUNGRYHIPPO68

Dec 10, 2011
Hi Simon
I came out of Residential care about 4 yrs ago as frankly I got peed of with the stupid notions the owner had I used to do nights and days my view is the resident/client has to be given the choice if they want to come down in middle of night with a few others and have a cuppa why not
I also used to get told of for taking to much time in helping a resident pick there own clothes to wear etc, it got to a stage where it was rush rush rush pathetic no matter what a resident/client has rights they are not some ornament to wash and plonk down they do have feelings.
In the end I told my boss to stick it where the sun could never shine and voiced my concerns to the local care standards agency, I will say there was never ill treatment to any of the clients but in my view it was their diginity and choice being taken away.
Keep doing good work hun as you sound a great carer I know you will offer to jet wash your boss let us know what they say lol are ask them to try and bath a client.

Hugs Sarah x

palmik

Dec 7, 2011
Oxfordshire
Hi Simon

Refer this stupid person to us!!!!!!!!! And on behalf of the carees to you look after Simon Thank you v much. In the care homes my Mum and Dad are in (sadly they can't be together) there are some absolute treasures. Some of them are very young and are amazing. I can't thank them enough. But try to XXX