Shingles?

Tess810home

Jan 11, 2011
London
Oh dear, I may have shingles...symptoms check a lot of the boxes...getting assessed this morning by doctor!

Sister is ready and waiting for phone call so she can come and collect Mum to take her away from risk while I am incubating...Hoping it's something and nothing, maybe just a rash. Worried for mum as she has been exposed to it for a while now and her immune system is already low...Oh dear, just as I was feeling so in control and content with things..

Let's hope it's nothing :)

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I have always understood that it is babies who are at risk if an adult has shingles, .

Could be wrong of course, but anyway if you do have shingles it would still be better for you just to look after yourself.minstead of having to care for mother as well.

Shingles can make you very tired.

Tess810home

Jan 11, 2011
London
I have always understood that it is babies who are at risk if an adult has shingles, .

Could be wrong of course, but anyway if you do have shingles it would still be better for you just to look after yourself.minstead of having to care for mother as well.

Shingles can make you very tired.

Yes, been reading up as much as I can...also possiblly contagious to elderly or suppressed immune...best to get Mum away from me anyway...just in case. Hopefully no need :)

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Shingles is caused bythe chickenpox virus. It happens because when you catch chickenpox (usually as a child) not all of the virus is destroyed by the immune system, even though you get better. A little remains, although it is inactive. It is suppressed by the immune system. For reasons which are not clearly understood, it may reactivate, causing the symptoms of shingles (but not chickenpox). It usually happens to people over 50, so it is thought that this is because of the normal, slight weakening of the immune system that accompanies age.

You cannot catch shingles, but you can catch chickenpox from someone who has shingles.

If someone has had chickenpox before, they are therefore immune. The persons who are at risk are young babies, people with compromised immune systems (usually, HIV/AIDS or those receiving cancer treatments) and adults who have not had chickenpox before.

The vast majority of adults will have had chickenpox and are therefore immune. There is a chickenpox vaccine although it is not part of the routine vaccination program in the UK. It is usually given to those at high risk in direct contact with people who have chickenpox or who are likely to get it.

The virus is transmitted by the fluid in the blisters (called vesicles), either by direct person to person contact, or contact indirectly via shared objects.

Once the blisters scab over, you should no longer be infectious.

Nannybus

Dec 21, 2010
Poor you. I have just come through a bout of shingles with the accompanying Postherpetic Neuralgia. It lasted about three months.

I don't think anyone can catch shingles from you, but somebody could catch chickenpox, if they have not had chickenpox before. So says the blurb downloaded by my doctor. The rash is contagious until all the blisters have scabbed and are dry. But note: most adults and older children have already had chickenpox, and so are immune.

My doctor put me on anti-virals, but I do not think they worked, as perhaps I did not take them within the time scale deemed effective.

I did not seem to have much trouble regarding the rash. I was very tired and had a mild fever and headache.

The nerve pain is nasty, but eases with time, and not everybody gets it.

I must admit I avoided going to see my mother, in the Care Home, during the first 2 weeks, but that was more because I was so weary and wanted to lie down a lot.

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
Hello Tess, I hope you don't have to wait too long to see the doctor, pleased though that your sister is helping out so that is one thing less to worry about.

Take care
Mary
x

Tess810home

Jan 11, 2011
London
Relief

Many thanks. Doc says it is Shingles and although elderly and Alxhiemer's sufferers can be at risk it is not common. In any event as doc says, Mum has already been exposed for the last few days and incubating now would be a bit like shutting the door after the horse has done a runner...

So, all good. On tabs now and no pain, feeling well, just nasty old rash on face which itches a bit...

Doc says my blood pressure is a little high. Oh really?! Cannot think why? :rolleyes:

:)

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Oh dear, I may have shingles...symptoms check a lot of the boxes...getting assessed this morning by doctor!

Sister is ready and waiting for phone call so she can come and collect Mum to take her away from risk while I am incubating...

Have you already told your sister she doesn't need to fetch your mum? Seems a shame to give up the opportunity of having some time to yourself ;)

Tess810home

Jan 11, 2011
London
Have you already told your sister she doesn't need to fetch your mum? Seems a shame to give up the opportunity of having some time to yourself ;)

Well..sis was waiting for the phone call and so I told her all was ok. Of course a break would be nice but I need to hold this emergency cover for when and if I really need it, so I told her not to worry this time and to 'stand down'. I did warn that if I feel unable to manage I would call her.

Told mum I was at docs and have shingles...response "where did you get it from...I thought you were making me a tea?" heehee.

(Once upon a time, she would have tucked me up on couch and made me tea all day long) It feels a bit like it does when it's my birthday and mum doesnt know - funny how we all want our mum at times like this huh?