Going Home

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Today, my OH has made the arrangements for the scattering of his father's ashes. We will take him home, to the town where he was born. It seems the appropriate thing to do, and we will scatter the ashes in the same part of the memorial garden where his wife's ashes were also scattered. We have been given permission to do this, although his cremation took place in a different part of the country.

After his requests to be taken home, it is the last thing we can do for him now. Who knows if that is what he meant all along. I think he would approve, although he would say he didn't want any fuss or to put anyone to any bother.

I think we have surprised ourselves how quickly we have put the dementia years behind us, and now think of him as he was before the illness. Still sad of course, but can I say relieved that those years are over. We have talked about how we all sometimes forget and think we should visit him soon. When I shop I always think of buying him bananas! We all agree that we no longer have to worry about him. He is free. I think, for us, the man that he once was, passed away along time ago.

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Christin , Do hope the "Scattering of the Ashes " goes as well as it can do & its a comfort to you & your O H that your F-in- Law will be with his Wife

Sending much Love , Support & Prayer's to you both on the "Day you scatter the Ashes "

Love Grove x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Christin

It is right your father in law should be taken home. It is the last thing you can do for him.
I hope you all have a good journey.

imac.girll1

Feb 20, 2009
Glasgow
Christin, it is the most difficult thing I had to do with my fathers ashes. Was never sure where or what to do with them. He did not ask to go home, in that manner when he did say he really did mean his own house. I too was glad his dementia was over for him and myself, that may sound selfish but it was sad seeing him in a secure place.

I choose a beautiful little watery inlet local to where he walked for nearly 80 years. I felt for him that it was going home also. He loved the area where he walked his 6 miles daily and so i had no reasons for him not to be settled there.

I hope it went well for you all, and my thoughts are with you xx