22 August 2010

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
In September 2001, three months after I had lost Jan to the assessment centre, and soon after to the care home, the attacks on the World Trade Center took place in New York. I watched events unfold, holding Jan's hand in a lounge at the assessment ward, surrounded by people who had no idea what was going on - Jan included.

On 22 August last year in 2010, in a happier event, 30-odd Chilean miners were found to be alive after being buried alive way underground.

As this was taking place, I was sitting in a side corridor of her care home with Jan, holding her hand, as she slipped away from me.

Later, in the evening, Jan died.

In the year that has passed since then, while I have grieved constantly for her loss, I am also at peace because finally Jan is at peace. A year on, she is still all around me, but I know she is not in a living purgatory, so I am happy for her.

Many world events happened while we were in the grip of Jan's dementia. They are still going on, and will continue to do so. Our particular instance of dementia has passed, but for many, many others at present, and yet more to come, hell will continue until a cure is found.

In the meanwhile, there is a heck of a job to be done in improving the lives of those who still have dementia and dementia-like symptoms, and those of their loved ones.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Bruce.

Dhiren and I watched the attack on the Trade centre live on television. We were both stunned.

He had no appreciation of the rescue of the miners. I rejoiced by myself.

Wishing you well. x

Last edited:

HelenMG

May 1, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Dear Bruce,
Your words have always been a great inspration and help to me over the years - and I wish you peace and comfort one year on from your great loss of Jan. As I struggled to come to terms with my fathers dementia 4 years ago I found great solace and advice and support here on TP - reading threads from so many different people all over the world. I was always incredibly humbled by how many here on TP were enduring so many many years of heartache, caring for their loved one. The love, compassion and strength of all of you, who were living for so many many years with this disease, helped me to embrace my Fathers illness and be loving and strong for him too.
Thank you, and TP for that.
Helen