My gone down hill whilst I've been away

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
My mum gone down hill whilst I've been away

My brother and sil looked after mum whilst I had a great break before I went mum was put on water tablets because her feet were badly swollen mum has had a few mishaps at night before this but my brother said mum had soaked the bed and they have had to change it and her every night also during the day the gp told them to stop the tablets but this has not made any difference also her feet are so swollen we can't get anything on her feet so we have a appointment with gp on Tuesday
I'm a bit sorry I come home now:eek:
She looks really well though but when I asked about my brothers she got upset and said she has not seen them for ages:eek: she did seem please to see me though even though she did not know my name
My brother did say he did not realise how bad mum was especially at night (I think he had a few bad nights) and is looking forward to a quite night but at least they know what I go through most nights now
We have a cousins wedding tomorrow and they had paid for me and mum to stay at hotel afterwards but I have told my brothers to toss for it because I think it would confuse mum to much and I would be on edge all night incase she has a accident
HO! Well at least my batteries have been recharged love larivy

Last edited:

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hi flower and welcome(?:)?) back, well you know what I mean, it's nice to hear from you but it's always such a shame when the first day back is one long list of extra problems. Part of me is pleased to hear that the rest of the family are now fully aware of Mum's problems but of course part of me is sad that the problems have increased. I wish I could help regarding the wedding but once again I'm at the wrong end of the country. I guess it'll seem like a long time till Tuesday and a visit to the GP. I wouldn't make appointments for your Mum now, given her health problems, I'd say get the Doctor in. ( this from someone who hasn't had the doctor in since about 1977). Take care, Maureen.x.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Larivy:
I know you had a good break but sorry you see a downturn in your dear Mum. At least your brother knows what you handle regularly. Just hope it does not put him off helping in the future.

Sorry to hear about your Mum's swollen feet - hope the Doc can do something for her.

Take care, your batteries may be recharged but .....

Scottie45

Jan 25, 2009
CoAntrim
Dear Larivy

Sorry to hear that your mum has gone down hill,hope you enjoyed your break,i hope the Dr can sort something out for her swollen feet but i would be getting the Dr to come in.Take care Marian xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Larivy

Sorry your mum was so disturbed for your brothers but glad you feel the benefit of your break.
Hope you manage to enjoy the wedding .

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi Larivy
Am glad you enjoyed your break, sorry to hear bout your mum. I too suggest you get the gp to visit, though it does mean you have to see the gp thats on house calls that day

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Larivy I'm so sorry your mum has taken a downturn. Thinking of you both. x

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Well at least Mum was pleased to see you back home:D

Shame no-one else came around:rolleyes:

Tom wants to know if I'm going away tomorrow?? I wish:cool::cool:

Have fun tomorrow

Helenx

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Morning Larivy, so sorry to hear about your mum, a rotten ending to a lovely break. Hope you can enjoy the wedding and that your batteries stay recharged for a while yet. Take care xxx

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Hi Larivy,

I'm sorry to hear that your mum is not so good. What a good job you managed to have a break. Imagine how worn out you'd have been if you hadn't had that small battery recharge. ;)

Also glad that your family can now see what you're having to do day in and day out. Hope it leads to more help in the future.

Can you manage to wait till Tuesday for the doc? Woyld he/she come out to see your mum?

You are such a good daughter, Larivy. Do look after yourself, too. If you're to continue caring you need some time out. Do you still have Crossroads coming in?

Big hugs,

Maggie

Owly

Jun 6, 2011
Shoes for swollen feet

My mum's feet are swollen and she was having an awful time squeezing them into old sandals and painfully pulling the strap up her swollen heels.

We just went and bought her these sandals which are brilliant because the straps are velco'd and you can open them right up, lay her feet in, and close the straps over again. She should have had something like this years ago but she's very resistant to spending money on new clothes/shoes.

http://www.hottershoes.com/en/Womens-Shoes/Womens-Best-Sellers/Sandals/47864_easy

flowerpot

Jul 27, 2010
Rural North Northumberland
Pleased you've had a nice break but it's a shame about your mam. I agree with others get the doctor to call that's what we do it makes it so much easier. Pleased but not pleased if you know what I mean about your brother having to deal with things first hand at least he knows what you have to deal with. Take care xxx

elaine n

Jun 1, 2010
west country uk
I've just seen your thread Larivy, I'm so sorry mum's gone down hill again while you were away - you were looking forward to a night in that hotel too.
On the plus side, as with me, at least the family know now how hard it is to cope and remember it took more than one of them to do it!!!! I hope they now relise what a star you are doing it single handed! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxe

DLM

mum had soaked the bed and they have had to change it and her every night also during the day the gp told them to stop the tablets<><><>
My brother did say he did not realise how bad mum was especially at night (I think he had a few bad nights) and is looking forward to a quite night but at least they know what I go through most nights now

<><>
HO! Well at least my batteries have been recharged love larivy

Have you tried Depends (adult diapers). My LO goes through a couple of pairs a night. They save a lot of wet bedding.

There are a lot of us who wish family member would fo the duty for a few days so they what we go through24x7

How often do you get respite from caring to charge your batteries?

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Hello Larivy, I'm very sorry to hear that our mum has gone downhill a bit whilst you were away.
At least, as you say, your family now know what looking after her 24/7 can entail.:(

Sorry too about mum's swollen feet. :( Cosyfeet also do wide and comfortable footwear . You might want to google them.

Hope you had a good time at the wedding, if you decided to go. I hope you did.
Love and hugs, x

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
Thank you all I have had to change mum and the bed a couple of times each night so far:eek: we have been in touch with the incontinence team they asked us to get referal from gp which the gp faxed to them Friday and they are coming Tuesday afternoon after we have seen gp so hopefully I will get some help with this mum woke up one night when my brother was here and told him she had been swimming:eek::D so luckily she has not realised what is happening she would be devastated if she knew
I have ordered mum slippers from co....t to see how they are
We got Bertie back today he has been really good the cat is now discussed she thought he was gone for good:D mum seemed really pleased to see him thank you to my fellow TPers for a great break love larivy

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smile65