Any tips on how to brush her teeth?

ailyn2611

Jul 18, 2005
Leeds, Uk
My mum's 65 but have had severe Alzheimer's for the past 10 years, and my Dad is the main carer, and they are in another country, so I see them approximately once a year. I've just returned from another trip, and she's not been able to brush her teeth for the past 1 year. So I tried to brush for her, and her reaction is, although there was no obvious resistance, her reflex reaction is that she closes her lips when the toothbrush is in her mouth, so that I cannot move the toothbrush. She also bites on the toothbrush and sucks at it. Basically she's at a stage where she cannot understand the concept of brushing or even guggling, as she swallows the water and toothpaste rather than spit them out.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get around oral hygiene, or are there any products out there that is useful?

Many thanks for any useful advice in advance!

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello:
I found this difficult whilst my husband was at home and now he is in NH his carers also find it hard.

He is bedridden so I sit him up as best I can), get a small bowl, dampen a small headed toothbrush with water and little toothpaste and then just wiggle it around his mouth as best I can. Its not ideal but better than nothing.

As I use so little toothpaste and water he does not need to spit out, although occasionally he does.

There is a AS Factsheet but it does not cover the details of tooth cleaning, more to do with dental procedures when they are needed.

Last edited:

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Corsodyl

I too find it difficult to get access to my husband mouth. But I usually manage a couple of times a day. I always use Corsodyl toothpaste , ver5y little it is strong, and expensive, as I find it both cleans and heals, it also tends to get rid of the bad breath my husband usually has due to bad digestion.

I also use a very weak solution of Corsodyl Mouthwash in the rinse water so that when he does swallow it instead of spitting it out, it does not really matter. Have you tried a tooth pick between the teeth before brushing, I creep in when he is almost asleep and get away with it but once the brush goes in he starts biting. Anything is better than nothing as Becky says.

jojo72

Jun 18, 2011
Surrey
Cleaning teeth

You could try getting little round sponges on sticks, dip them in diluted mouth wash and then rub around your Mums mouth/teeth. Although of course its not as good as cleaning them properly with a toothbrush, but its better than nothing. xx

hongkongsandy

Mar 3, 2009
uk
try to make sure you clean the gums too, particuarly under the bottom lip. I just took mum to the dentist and whilst her teeth are always clean and food free her gums were really frighteningly bad (i can still see it when i close my eyes + am terrified they will fall out now). Its only 6mths since she saw the dentist too...

Off to buy some Corsodyl and try these tips myself now.

Bastan

Feb 10, 2011
Manchester
Apparently pineapple is good for cleaning teeth.

It really is pot luck cleaning my husbands teeth. It just gets herder and harder as the dementia worsens. A dentist has been out of the question for over a year now. So if all else fails, I believe pineapple is better than nothing, and worth a try.

Good luck with all the tips.

Bastan

russellgww

Apr 25, 2011
Winchester
I have just sat with my FiL while he had 6 teeth removed and dentures fitted at the age of 91. He has had alzheimers for probably 5-6 years at least but was diagnosed only 2 years ago and is on Aricept. Funnily enough, we were talking a few weeks ago about his hygiene and my wife said "Of course he cleans his teeth properly, he has always been fastidious about it" but it seems that the outward appearance of coping belies the truth.

The dentist was clear that this resulted from poor oral hygiene (gum disease) over a prolonged period but as FiL is in denial about his condition and fiercely independent, trying to help him clean his teeth would just result in arguments and distress for him. He is hugely insulted and angry at any hint that we think he is not coping.

Now I am having to try and help him learn to take care of his dentures, which he seems to accept because it is new, as opposed to cleaning his teeth normally which of course he has been doing for years. With the dentures he forgets they are there when they are in and all about them when they are not, although this doesn't stop him grumbling about them. Actually, the whole process has been much less traumatic than we had feared and it could have been much worse, not least in terms of his morale, but we have been engaged in major distraction therapy to keep his mind off them.

At least now after 5 days he can take them out and put them in himself, which is a big step, but as he lives alone some 300+ miles away (currently staying with us but already anxious to go home) frankly we are wondering how to cope with this new extra problem.

FiL refuses any home help ("I will accept it when I need it but I don't need it yet") and has no neighbours or anyone that can provide the care he needs. Social services and local mental health workers are quite rightly supporting his right to choose, but this is frustrating to say the least.

Solaris

Jan 19, 2010
My mum is exactly the same: doesn't mind the brush in her mouth but bites on it and sucks. That was with a normal toothbrush. Since switching to an electric one we've had no problems. I think it's the speed that puts her off biting it. She does bite it sometimes, but it doesn't seem to hurt (I've tried it myself!).

She always swallows, so we use an ordinary toothpaste rather than Corsodyl, which our dentist said can upset the stomach in some people.