Mum is now in a care home

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Hello, friends,

I know many of you have been through this journey. I hesitated to put my experience on here because I thought I'd have nothing to say that many of you haven't said already. :eek:

Mum has been ill for a long time and lives with my brother in her home. He has schizophrenia so I've always been there for them both.

The last 12 months or so I have cared for my Mum using a 'personal budget' ie direct payments made by social services which enabled me to employ carers of my own. It was all going well till the last few months, when she has deteriorated quite rapidly.

In November she set her hair on fire while smoking a cigarette so I employed an extra carer to help me 'ration' her cigarettes and give me some time off from running up and down there every hour to give her a ciggy. :)

She became urinally incontinent, wetting the bed at night and less and less reliable in the day. She would get the urge to go to the loo, then forget why she had got up and get into bed and wet it. :eek:

I increased the care again so that there was someone there to prompt her to use the loo in between ciggy breaks, which by then had lengthened. :)

This all was impacting on my brother, who dealt with the situation by going out all day. The carer would come in 1st thing and he would be desperate to leave.

About two weeks or so ago, Mum started calling out for him and me during the night. My brother would hear her up till about midnight and was able to settle her. She was always terrified, but couldn't say what the problem was, so we decided to distract her as the best way to deal with that. My worry was that she would be calling later in the night and my brother wouldn't hear her because the drugs he has to take for his schizophrenia really knock him out. The thought of her being terrified with no-one to reassure her was tearing me apart. :( It wasn't doing my brother much good, either. :(

I had hoped we could have kept Mum at home to the very end but on Monday last I had to make the painful decision to get her some respite for the 4th time. She has never really settled in respite, just accepts it in the hope she will return home.

This time she has a bed in a new local authority home. It's a wonderful place with en-suite shower rooms, plenty of staff, meals almost on demand and (real luxury for Mum) a smoking room! :D

I have been offered this as a permanent thing if I want and Mum seems to be settling well. I've been advised not to visit for a week to allow her to settle. That's been hard, but I've phoned every day and she is fine.

My only problem is one of my sisters. She has never come to terms with the fact that Mum has dementia. She thinks it's 'just old age.' She is angry with my brother for not coping with her demands. He's 'just a spoiled brat.'
She says the house where Mum and Dad lived just won't be the same. Mum won't be there.

I explained that we are lucky. My brother will be allowed to live there still, most people in our situation would have to sell the house to pay for care.

She's upset that she didn't get the chance to look at the home before Mum went in. As it's LA we wouldn't haave had that chance anyway as it's SS referral only, but it's a better home by far than the best of the ones I've looked at and there's no top-up (which none of the family were prepared to finance and I only have DLA of £19 something per week of my own).

The SW will ring me on Tuesday for a decision on the bed. I don't want to lose it but I want to try and keep sis on side if I can. I know it's an impossible situation and I can't please everyone but I'm hoping she will go and see the home at the weekend and be blown away by it and solve all my problems. ;)
If not, I'm going to be in the doghouse on Tuesday cause I'm not letting Mum lose the chance of a lovely old age. ;)

Can anyone advise what they did about distressed siblings in similar circumstances?

Any advice on how to deal with telling Mum, or not telling her, that this will be permanent and she isn't going back home?

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Hello, there were no distressed siblings here to give any objections, so I can't offer any help on that. I just wanted to say well done to you really, you have coped for such a long time with your mum and your brother.

I do feel that if you have found the ideal place you should seriously consider going with it. The house will not feel the same but you may all have a better relationship with your mum once she settles.

Sadly, it was the constant calling out and searching for us at night that caused us to make this decision. We simply could not cope at home all day and all night. In the NH, FIL is reported to sleep most of the night, with the occasional wander. It may have something to do with carers checking him throughout the night, and helping him turn over which he cannot do by himself anymore. One of the reasons we feel that he now has better care in a NH.

I hope you are able to make a family decision. My very best wishes to you all x

chucky

Feb 17, 2011
UK
Hi, i think it would be better all round if your mum continued to stay where she is. If she seems settled and has no problems what would be the point in bringing her home to your brother who is struggling to cope with the ever increasing demands of dementia care. No one knows what its like to be the sole carer 24/7 unless theyve done it themselves. I would tell your sister that if she thinks she could care for mum better, suggest she moves in with her. Otherwise, regardless of your brother having his own issues to deal with, hes had enough and cant or wont want to care any longer. No one should be made to feel guilty about the choices we make, if your sister wants to take over, fine, let her. If not then she has to accept that residential care is now the only option. If your mum is happy where she is thats great because you then dont have the trauma and anxiety over finding a place for her.x

Adnkt

Apr 24, 2011
Warwickshire
Hi. I agree with chucky. I've been having very similar problems with my sister. She thinks the world revolves around her. You all have different needs now and your sister's needs are nowhere near as important as your mum's, yours and your brother's. You're lucky if you've found a home you're happy with. Take the place and if your sister isn't happy let her find somewhere else later. If she's anything like my sister that won't happen. What would happen to your mum and your brother if you could no longer cope? If you change your mind in the future you could always take your mum back. Finding a safe place for your mum to be cared for at the moment is the most courageous thing to do, and it is not an irreversible decision. Don't take any criticism to heart. I always say I'm doing my best. If you think you can do better go for it.

Cathy

x

EllieS

Aug 23, 2005
SOMERSET
Chucky is absolutely right - actions speak louder than words - if your sister isn't prepared to take over the care of your Mum, her views should not concern you. You've done the caring - it's totally wrong of anyone to criticise you. It's easy for these people who have done nothing to criticise isn't it, if you don't do anything you can't do something wrong can you?
It sounds to me that the NHS has seriously let you/your Mum and brother down. How dreadful for them to have allowed your Mum to be at such risk - horrible as I may sound, the local authority home should have been made available far sooner to safeguard her, to relieve your brother and yourself from the stress. That is what the NHS is supposed to do - free of charge health care at the point of need. The whole thing sickens me.
You've been a good daughter and son and can continue to be so while your Mum is receiving the care she needs - don't be suckered into paying for it though.
xx

Flooz

Sep 8, 2009
UK
I had a similar issue with one of my brothers, he didn't like to think of Mum in a care home, in his words, "everyone knows that care homes just rip people off" ! I got over the situation by simply pointing out that the only other option was for Mum to go live with him!!

imac.girll1

Feb 20, 2009
Glasgow
My dear dear Maggie, over the last while i have been following your story, and in other areas of TP, we have had many conversations over this exact thing.

First let me congratulate you on a) finding a good SW, it makes such a difference, b) coping with your own health, your brothers health and of course your mums health, a mine field if ever there was one!, and c) keeping your cool with your sister!

I along with Chucky and others, agree that if your sister decides this is not suitable in her books tell her then she has to take over full time care, this would be your last conversation with her on the subject i feel, as she would back down and make excuses right away why she can't. After 'gently' explaining to her that if she can not do the caring role then in this case, she can have no say on how you deem to care for your mother.

We have talked a lot about this previously and do not wish to go over old ground as much much of all this has been said, but please do leave your mum where she is, as she is happy and by the looks of it already settled.

Wishing a peaceful weekend and rest up as much as you can.

Always here for you.

xxx

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the good advice. I had made up my mind that I will accept the bed on Tuesday, whether sis agrees or not.

Had a chat with oldest bro this evening. He has told me to go for it, too. He hasn't seen the place but trusts my judgement.

Now I'm just left with the problem of what to tell Mum. Her memory is a bit 'hit and miss.' Odd days she can be quite insightful others she's in another place. Whatever she's told all the family need to agree. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking it would be kindest to blame poorly bro's doctors, 'They won't let him look after you till they feel he's capable.' Then lil bro won't get the blame. And that statement is true.

It seems she's already asked how he is. She looked after him in his youth so I think she will understand that truthful statement about his doctors permission being witheld.

Oh, this is awful. I don't want to leave her with no hope. :(

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi there. I can't advise - only empathise. I feel that every day we are nearing that situation with my own mum. I don't know how your brother could have coped and I think you and he both deserve medals and stars - no matter what sister may think. Take care of yourself. xx

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I think she will understand that truthful statement about his doctors permission being witheld.
That's answered your own question, Maggie. You are not leaving her without hope, you are increasing her chances of a safe and secure and comfortable existence. You are, yes to be honest, easing the load that the rest of you are carrying, and believe me, that's to be praised too. Well done you.x.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi
I just want to add my support to all that has been said .
I really dont know how you have coped with everything .

If your sister cant understand that you and your brother have done so much for your mum n you both have your own health problems then shame on her , sorry to speak so of your sister

You cannot please everyone all of the time , and your sister is not your priority right now , maybe in time she will understand you really had no choice but to place your mum into what sounds to be a wonderful care home .

xxxx