An introduction

joanm

May 3, 2011
Hello, my name is Joan, and I live in the middle of nowhere. :) I am the primary carer for my husband who has AD, and I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm really glad that a resource like this exists.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Joan

Sorry you are caring for your husband and even more sorry you live in the middle of nowhere as it might mean you will be deprived of available services which you might need in the future.

carolsea

Feb 22, 2010
South Yorks
Good morning Joan, nice to meet you :)
Welcome to TP
I'm sure you'll find the forum really supportive, I know I do!
I'm carer for my 87 yr old Mum who has AZ and other health problems and is now living in a CH, but there will be others along soon in the same situation as you.
It will be nice for you to be able to get support from others, since you are so isolated.
Carol
x

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Hello Joan, welcome to Talking Point

I hope you now find yourself in the middle of a caring on line community. Please let us know if we can help.

With very best wishes to you x

joanm

May 3, 2011
Thanks, Grannie, nice to meet you. I'm in the middle of finding out exactly what resources are available in my area, and the hoops I need to jump through to get them.

DozyDoris

Jan 27, 2009
Suffolk
Hi Joan from me too :) Hoops????? We should all be top hula girls and boys by now:D:D:D:D
You've found a good place though with lots of other hula girls and boys x

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Hi Joan,
Welcome from me too. My relative lived alone in the middle of nowhere but surprisingly he wasn't deprived of care services. Hope all goes OK for you and if we can help with anything specific just shout (not meant to be funny! sorry).

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Joan:
Welcome from me too. My husband also has Alzheimers now into its 12/13th year :eek:.

I hope you find this Forum helpful and supportive. If you are feeling isolated I wonder what support there is for you. Have you thought of contacting your local Alzheimers Society - very often they run 'cafes' which are a meeting point for carers and sufferers, sometimes coffee mornings, lunches or general get togethers. They are able to identify local support for you.

If you click Alzheimers Society top left and find 'local information' in the left hand column.

Looking forward to seeing you around again soon.
Best wishes

Sox

Mar 12, 2011
Hello Joan - welcome I hope you find as much support as I did -I am sure you will. I too care for my husband with AD - diagnosis nearly 5 years ago but suspicious for 2-3 years before that. I have also found support from the Alzheimers Society who run a local (well 12 miles away from me!) carers' support group once a month. It's very helpful meeting other carers who are in the same situation but TP members have been hugely supportive. It's nice to have someone to "talk" to in between the monthly meetings. Unfortunately I have really come up against a brick wall with Social Services etc because we are self funding but hope you have more success. Keep in touch and take care. Sox

joanm

May 3, 2011
Hello Socks, nice to meet you. We have been living with this a long time, this last few weeks we seem to have moved to another more scary phase. The AS lost it's funding in this area, I called them this morning and had a chat, they are sending me some info. Nice to tallk to you, Joan

joanm

May 3, 2011
Hi Beckyjan Been to the doctors today to get some help, been in denial, now I know I can't do it alone. Very hard place to be, hope to talk to you again, Joan

xanadu777

Apr 2, 2011
Dyfed
Hi there and welcome to the forum. My only piece of advice which I have found helpful is that it's the crying baby that gets the milk. In the main all the services are stressed out due to limited resources and understandably (even if not as it should be) they respond more readily to those who keep on bugging them.

joanm

May 3, 2011
Hi Xanadu nice to meet you. Good advice, I can nag and beg with the best of them. regards from Joanm