Results

dizzydeb

Jan 31, 2011
Cheshire
Dad HAS been diagnosed with Dementia and Alzheimers is more advanced since his first scan.:(:( It's not what we wanted to hear but it's what we feared we'd hear.
Dad has been prescribed Dropnal or something sounding like that!
At the very best he will improve but not get back the man he was and at the minimum Dads memory loss will be kept stable.
Mum and Dad are now registered with the Stroke Society and are getting lots of help. Mum too is benefitting with the use of appropriate equipment. Mums health is not the best as she has trouble with her hip just now.
Dad's next appointment is in June to assess progress. (or deteriation) lets hope it's the former. lolx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Dizzydeb,

Although it can be helpful having a proper diagnosis in terms of getting help, it doesn't take away the anxieties and sadness.

I can only hope that the medication staves off the disease and that you have many good times.

Love

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
I'm glad there is some support going on for your family, thinking of you. It's a difficult time for you and the family right now, hope things get a little easier soon x

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Dizzydeb

I am so sorry, yet another blow, hopefully the meds will help.

I am sure you will continue to have support from the Stroke Assoc. we are members too, we have made good friends through the 'Different Strokes' club my husband goes to every week run by the Stroke Assoc. Does dad have the Reablement Team to the house to help with his recovery?

We are 15 months and 2 Strokes down that particular road, we have by no means all the answers, but if you need any help, please just ask (AD too, mum was a victim of that dreadful disease)
Cate

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I am sad to hear of the diagnosis but at least this helps you to get the support you and your parents need.

I wondered if the medication was Donepezil - which is Aricept, a regular medication for Alzheimers. I do hope it helps to slow down the deterioration.

Its good to hear that the Stroke Society are supportive. Also you could telephone the local Alzheimers Society who may offer further advice.

dizzydeb

Jan 31, 2011
Cheshire
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts. Yes that's what the medication is Donepezil.
I have another problem... Dad thinks i am Mum in some moments of lapse He becomes too familiar if you know what i mean? I have to say 'Hey Dad' and then distract him quickly. I think it's because i look so much like my Mum at her age! My Dads conversation over the phone the other day was a bit sexual inuendo's too and i have to laugh them off and again quickly change the subject.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77