Public Concern at Work report

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Public Concern at Work runs a free advice line for those who have witnessed crime, danger or wrongdoing at work. Public Concern at Work is the leading independent authority on whistleblowing in the UK.

“What’s that got to do with dementia? What’s that got to do with care? What’s the relevance of that to this forum?”, I may hear you ask.

Everyone who has the time, the interest and the patience to read a clear and concise 21 page report will find out soon enough.

There are no frills in this report, no froth or pretty pictures, either.

It deals in part with the ever-present and ever-revealing problem of “closing ranks”: a symptom of evils – or a cause of evils? The reader makes their own mind up, of course, about the dangers of closing ranks in any walk of life.

Speaking up for vulnerable adults: What the whistleblowers say

http://www.pcaw.org.uk/news_attachm...hat the whistleblowers say, PCAWApril2011.pdf

Anyone who has ever had cause to raise their own concerns about the standards of care and support in the UK – and I know that there are many here who have had to walk that particular walk - will realise why they may have felt that the pea had been stolen from their own whistle.

If the so-called professionals working in the care sector can’t break through the barriers of neglect, there’s fat chance the rest of us will be enabled to do so. Not that it will stop those of us who have removed our blinkers from trying!

With the CQC about to abandon random unannounced inspections of care homes leaving the so-called professional care providers to self-regulate, and with the imminent arrival of even more direct-payment funded personal budgets whereby the person in need of care may become an employer of care workers – the message must surely be that nobody should ever be complacent or make assumptions about the standards of care and support they may expect. Nor about the systems of protection for vulnerable adults in place, at present.

EmJ

Sep 26, 2007
Scotland
Thanks for the link JPG.

When my granny lived at home, my family raised concerns about a care service provider to SS. We were told to basically put up with them or have no care.

We told them we couldn't allow the provider to be responsible for our relative and we felt they shouldn't be responsible for anyone vulnerable.

Consequently our relative received no care for 3 months and my family provided the care.

On another note - I watched a bit of Neil Morrisey's programme on care homes for children the other night and he spoke to young adults not being supported appropriately. When the council were approached they said they had been assessed as "outstanding".

The reports just don't reflect the truth.

Take care,
EmJ

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
I tried to send a reply earlier today but it must have disappeared into cyber space
Ironicaly one of the points I menttioned has already happened
This thread ha slipped down to page 2 on the Today's Posts already ' and it had the grand total of ONE reply

The subject of your post is something we see continously
on TP
A matter where carers relate horrible stories of the treatment in some care homes and Hospitals
and yet only ONe person replied and a few more viewed
Your post gives a very good summary of the report and ofyour views I have only had the chance so far to skim through the report but it is obvious from your summary how it could assist people confronting this problem
I know your own views on the lack of response to this type of post; but I find it very disheartning that more attention is not paid to such important subjects

In a post I made earlier tody with reference to the appointment of a new administrator I facetiously suggested that members should not be allowed to make new posts until they had registered they had viewed (not necessarily replied) to threads nominated It was said with tongue in cheek, but I am not certain now wether I was being serious

Thankyou (once again for drawing our attention to an important
subject

Best wishes
jimbo 111

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Totally missed this one first time around, will have a good read later.

This should be of concern to us all, I know I had grave concerns when mum was in hospital, and know of a real horror story from a friend on TP of the treatment of her mum, shocking.

In a post I made earlier tody with reference to the appointment of a new administrator I facetiously suggested that members should not be allowed to make new posts until they had registered they had viewed (not necessarily replied) to threads nominated It was said with tongue in cheek, but I am not certain now wether I was being serious

I saw this jimbo, I think you have a good point, this is an important issue to us all.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
I know your own views on the lack of response to this type of post; but I find it very disheartning that more attention is not paid to such important subjects

Jimbo111, yes, you do know my own views - and my view is that if only a handful of people read anything that is of help to them, that's ok by me. Some topics don't actually need a response, so that's fine too. It won't stop me 'Raising Awareness'. I can raise awareness, but we can't force awareness onto anyone's plate, or before their eyes. So it may be their loss.

I don't post to achieve 'ratings', or thousands of views! I'm personally not interested in that kind of scoring.

It's always been a fact of life that anything posted in the Raising Awareness section gets few reads, and even fewer replies. (Unless it's a topic like Charities in Crisis, of course, with a heated debate going on, and then it attracts nearly 1500 views!!) It would need more than a software tweak to change that, but it's down to each TPer to decide whether they want to read anything in the Raising Awareness, Alz Soc News, Resources section etc, or even the Tea Room. Each to their own!

Take care, Jimbo!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp