AS on BBC Breakfast

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I thought I'd posted this a couple of hours ago, must have clicked the wrong button!:eek:

Prof. Clive Ballard was on Breakfast this morning, proposing that older people should be given the mmse as part of their MOT.

A doctor was arguing against, the arguments were:

1. Not enough MHT resourses to process every positive, particularly as some will be false positives.

2. Memory loss can be a symptom of other problems. Though I would have thought these would have been picked up in the MOT anyway.

3. Should funds be diverted from care to diagnosis?

4. Would people want to know?

What do people think?

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Hello Skye, from a personal point of view, I think it could be a good idea. My OH and I cared for his father for many years. He presented very well, and of course we aided him by making sure he wore clean clothes, attended his appointments etc. In fact he was doing very little for himself at this time, but he was able to have a conversation and is still mobile. An earlier MMSE may have given him the chance to have a proper diagnosis.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I agree, Christin.

So many people post that their parent refuses to go to the doctor. If the test was a routine part of the MOT, it would get over the problem.

I can't see that it would be too expensive to administer the test, though I can see it would put extra pressure on the MHT.

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
I agree, Christin.

So many people post that their parent refuses to go to the doctor. If the test was a routine part of the MOT, it would get over the problem.

It would also ease the worry of the daughter/son who can't persuade their parent to go to the doctor and is uneasy talking to the doctor behind their backs.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
In a second to ideal world this would happen ( the ideal being no illness at all) but I can't see it ever happening because they would never agree about the funding or who would supply the support afterwards. I hate being negative and am keeping my fingers crossed that I could be proved wrong.:)

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I saw the piece on Breakfast. I was annoyed with the GP's arguments that they shouldn't do it because they are too busy and don't have the resources. I took her point however that if they did write to everybody over 75 to come in for an MMSE, the people who were having problems might be the very people who wouldn't respond.

I think however that GPs need to be properly trained in recognising dementia in the first place. How many times do we hear on TP of people having to keep a diary of unusual behaviour to convince a GP that there is a problem?

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
Maureen,
Your not being negative just being realistic. As for an MOT (I think that means a check-up), can't think how many years since I last had one. Never mind that I had to chase up my flu jab when I just cam out of hospital after a major operation for gastric cancer!
If GPs surgeries can't carry out simple tasks like informing patients they are due for treatments there is no chance they will be able to take up screening of over 75s. I'm meant to receive a B12 injection for the remainder of my life, but it's my responsibility to inform my GP when it is due.
Welcome to the real world!
I've not been posting for some time for two reasons, one: I've being having a very bad time as I am at the moment. Secondly, I feel I've nothing to add, having been there seen it all and done it in my own way. Must rest.

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
I know that I am wrong...but having watched mum disappear for so long...I think if my dad started to show symptoms...I might bury my head in the sand for as long as possible:(
Amy

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Should funds be diverted from care to diagnosis?

Just so much I could say on this .....(not to you Skye) ... and lots of valid points on this thread - but what IS the point of diagnosis if there is no appropriate care in place? (Don't even mention cure - or funding for meds or .....)

Two parents dead - one at 70 the other just 76 - both with different dementias as well as other medical issues - much good this would have done them?

Where's that weepy smiley when you need one?:(

Some days I just despair ...

Kaz, x

PS: Sorry, having a real sorry for myself sleepless night tonight!

Last edited:

lindadoO

Mar 1, 2011
i e mailed bbc when the proffesor appeared.what is the point in screening all elderly people when the local services cannot deal with the referals they have at the moment.in the wigan area we have an average wait of 6 months from gp referal to memory team assessment [my father has waited 8 months for assessment].he is still waiting his diagnosis,still anxious and very depressed and i am at my wits end how to get things moving..any advice anyone?