my dad may have vascular dementia

MarieM

Dec 3, 2010
Stockton-on-tees
hello again , i haven't been on for a while as i've been busy with my dad with appointments , we got my dad a brain scan 3 weeks ago , i phoned up for the results and the lady said she has sent my dad an appointment out for the memory clinic for next week , i was just wondering does this mean he has definately got dementia or do you go to the memory clinic for the results regardless ?

Logan

Nov 1, 2010
Hello Marie, How about asking Dad's GP for the results rather than waiting for the memory testing appointment and then, maybe, find out that they do not have the results. Lx

ceetee

Nov 18, 2010
Bedfordshire
Dear Marie,

we went back to the memory clinic for our results. I thought that as your dad was under a certain team and attending memory clinics before (or has he never?), they would probably suspect or have considered dementia anyway. Dementia is such a vast field with soooo many related conditions. They have probably sent your dad for the scan to determine which type of dementia he may or may not have. However, I would not worry too much...you can not change whatever the result will be. And maybe when you attend next week, there is good news and it isn't what you feared. On the other hand, for me it was a relief when we went and were told the scan showed holes all over the brain. That with other test results gave us a diagnosis of Alzheimers, which now opens the doors to more help. Good luck, will be thinking of you.

Ceetee xx.

MarieM

Dec 3, 2010
Stockton-on-tees
hi again my dad wasnt actually attending the memory clinic my dads gp sent somebody out to do a memory test as we were concerned about my dad , then he went for a brain scan , and now the memory clinic have said they have sent him an appointment out for the 4th april .i in my own mind think he is showing signs of dementia as i have worked with a/d i just need a diagnosis so i know for sure and then can start to get the help we will need . thanks for your reply x

PennyMcLay

Aug 8, 2010
Kent
just a thought . .

I was where you are one year ago. I did not know until it was too late that a person has to be able to give permission and show they understand for you to get Power of Attorney (court of public guardian) and you should discuss this with your father asap. Not the most fun conversation ever, but there are worse ones! At least he wil know you, and not strangers will be able to make decisions for him! I wish someone had told me! Good luck, and if it helps, folk with this problem are less aware of it than those around them, which saves them from being unhappy about it. Penny

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Dad's GP should have all the results of tests. I would phone the surgery and ask to speak to dad's doctor who may now be in a position to let you know a diagnosis. It also may be a good idea to ask to see a consultant.

Have you contacted any local dementia support groups in your area. They can give you so much help and advice about what is available.

xxTinaT