Personal allowance in a care home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Angry

Account Closed
Mar 11, 2011
My father has been placed in a care home by SS. The care home have now sent me a bill for his personal allowances. I did not request that my father be placed in a care home and at no time has the SS or the care home explained costs and payments to him or myself nor has he or myself signed a contract of any kind with the care home.

The bill for his personal items includes 4 sets of donuts, 4 birthday cakes, napkins etc. My father was released from hospital into the care home on his birthday and it would appear the staff had a party at my expense.

I told the care home previously that as I was not involved in him being placed in care and objected to him being at the care home that I would refuse to pay any expenses that were not authorised by myself. The care managers reply was that either the care home or the SS would take me to court and seek payment.

I intend not to pay. Has anyone else had this experience?

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I would be inclined to let the Head of SS see this bill and let them know how your Father's allowance is being spent. ASAIK this should be spent on things like hairdressing, toiletries and personal clothing - not massive celebrations which have been unauthorised.

Have you put in writing that out of the ordinary expenses need to be authorised? (Excuse me but I have not picked up from your previous Thread whether you have POA or not).

Both my brother and husband are in NHs and I issue money for the 'residents' fund'. An example, I have just been asked if my brother is to buy a new tv or a box as they go digital shortly - it is my decision not theirs.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I think that's unreasonable, Mr Angry.

In the home my husband was in, every resident had a birthday party, with cakes and drinks. I was never given a bill for John's, it was considered part of the personalisation of care.

I'd challenge.

POPPY67

Mar 5, 2010
yorkshire
hi when mam was her care home her money was for her hair or feet as we took in her toiletries the home provided basic ones but we took the ones she liked as for birthday cakes when was mam birthday they did her cake was not billed for it! i even asked when was there 55Th wedding anniversary if they would make mum &dad a cake was not charged ! so i would take the bill to the ss and ask whats going on

Mr_Angry

Account Closed
Mar 11, 2011
Hello Kassy,

I agree with you 100% If he does require items I will pay using my own funds. SS are aware of this after they threatened to go to court to seek someone to control my fathers accounts. I do have POA but it comes into play only if my father has lost mental capacity. As no one has proved to me he has then it remains inactive.

60schild

Oct 18, 2010
Hello Kassy,

I agree with you 100% If he does require items I will pay using my own funds. SS are aware of this after they threatened to go to court to seek someone to control my fathers accounts. I do have POA but it comes into play only if my father has lost mental capacity. As no one has proved to me he has then it remains inactive.

Hello again,

I know we've spoken about this in a different thread, and that you don't believe that your father no longer has capacity to deal with financial and other matters, but I can't help wondering whether it would be better for you to send off your EPA for registration now in case you need it.

I know you said that you're going to apply for an LPA for H&W, but you're already having a nightmare dealing with SS and it seems to me that you need all the help you can get, as soon as you can get it.

Don't fall into the trap of cutting off your nose to spite your face. In the end, the only losers will be you and your father. The SWs will go home to their families and put you and your father out of their minds.

I hope you're not offended by my saying this, but I too have a difficult time dealing with SS, and I therefore understand that if there's any kind of legal power that you can point to then it will be enormously helpful to both you and your father.

Sincere best wishes,

60sChild

Status
Not open for further replies.