Hello from Preston, Lancashire!

J!NX

Mar 13, 2011
Lancashire
Hello, I am new to the forum, I think my mum uses this forum though too. A bit about me first, I joined this forum as I thought I could gather some ideas for a sponsored cycle I have thought of doing, I was going to do a skydive though I am terrified of heights and after seeing my friend do one, I chickened out!

My mother was until just before December 2010 a full time carer for my grandmother who has alzheimers, I cared for her at the weekends to give my mum a break. Unfortunately my mum and I were made redundant when my grandmother went into a care home after her Alzheimers became a lot worse.

So going back to what I was saying before about the sponsored cycle, Does anyone know any good and straight forward cycling routes in the North West?

Thanks in advance
J!NX

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Welcome to TP
Im not from your area so cant help with actual routes, I think but am not sure , you can get maps for cycle routes .
Maybe a cycling club could help maybe some of their members would join you.

You could also check with your local council.

Good luck let us know how you get on

J!NX

Mar 13, 2011
Lancashire
Thanks guys, thats an awesome idea, I never thought of asking a cycling club!

I will have a look for some cycling maps too! I was thinking along the coastline, but as this is my first time , i didn't want anything too complicated! I'm an amatuer in reading maps LOL!

J!NX

Mar 13, 2011
Lancashire
Sorry, just thought. What is a realistic target to aim for, as a first time participating in a charity event like this?

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
My son and his girlfriend are doing a sponsored bike ride from coast to coast starting in Cumbria and ending in Northumberland. They are doing this for a local autistic charity and will be doing it in August. You might all be freewheeling along and wave 'hello' as you speed by each other. Who knows!!

xxTinaT

J!NX

Mar 13, 2011
Lancashire
Thanks people, comments and ideas are much appreciated, keep them coming!

And TinaT, I will wave at everyone passing on a bike :D not sure when I am holding it yet, I think August.

Just had a look at some cycle routes, I think Preston to Lancaster for a first shot at it, isn't too bad! Seems very straight forward in terms of directions it's north up the A road!

Last edited:

janice1

Sep 22, 2009
up north
ride the lights

in blackpool, some charities have a sponserd ride the illuminations. they cycle along the prom, its a designated cycle path, so no other traffic. u could cycle from cleverlys to star gate a bit of a leg sretch, loveley scenery. best wishes janice

Good luck with your cycle ride. I met someone the other day who was doing a coast to coast from Silverdale to Flamborough Head (supporting RSPB so bird reserve to bird reserve), a 4-day trip. (We were having a picnic at the shore and he asked me to take his photo to mark the start.)

There are websites of cycle routes - have a look at http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Lancashire-Routes-86.html. Pam

Last edited: