Alzheimers Day Centre

stuart1986

Jan 25, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Hello!

My name is Stuart Coleman, I am a Architecture student studying at Northumbria University. I’m currently in my fifth year of studies and I’m in the early stages of my design project. I have decided upon the task of designing an Alzheimer’s Day care home (with a bit of a difference). This is where you may be able to help me.

Alzheimer’s has a personal connection to me as my grandfather suffers from the disease and is cared for by my Nana. That is what has inspired me to tackle this project. As you know the disease is extremely complex and each patient has specific requirements but as a designer I need to know these requirements in order to address them?

My aim is to design a care home..however the last thing I want to do is design it like is a care home…if that makes any sense. I have seen my grandfather be totally taken by the disease but he still has the ability to do small amounts of gardening, look after his pet dog and relax watching the birds. Many simple things that can still be enjoyed. After doing some basic research it has become apparent that there is nothing done ‘architecturally’ to keep the brain active or deal with the diseases constraints and requirements. They are largely conventional rooms with larger social spaces, difficult corridors, awkward doorways and poorly placed windows. In my view from what I’ve seen from my granddad he may have a lot of problems but the simple things in life he still enjoys as much as anyone..even if it is as basic as a cup of tea sitting on a chair infront of a large window with a good view. I want to address these issues.

I want to designs a centre where couples (like my nana & grandad) or single sufferers can come to and enjoy a social, fun and beneficial day out.

So this is where you may be able to help me. If you have any specific hobbies, activities, likes & dislikes or anything you feel is important for me to know then please don’t hesitate to right back to me. Even if you agree with my idea or think its not feasible. Any feedback would be great.

Thankyou,

Stuart Coleman

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Some Links to similar subjects ...

This thread contains lots of information which I would think relevant - http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?t=21109

Care home security & garden design - http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?t=30333&highlight=secure+garden

Link to thread about possible unforseen dangers - http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showpost.php?p=298828&postcount=10

Sorry this reply is a bit impersonal, but I really DO commend you for coming to the horses mouth for ideas & guidance.

I'm afraid some of the 'professionals' who drive formal dementia care & facilities can be short on practical knowledge, since they have never actually cared, hands on & with their hearts, for people who suffer from dementia.

Good luck for the future.

Jane Cooper

Jan 25, 2011
Benfleet Essex
Designing a home

Hello
My name is Jane Cooper

Some ideas off the top of my head,
Make sure there are hand rails for the elderly to hold onto.
Light therapy room for chill out and relaxation music
Good calming colours
Alzheimer's dementia is about short term memeory loss so think about what people associate with, which may only help them.

Good Luck & go for it

Hello!

My name is Stuart Coleman, I am a Architecture student studying at Northumbria University. I’m currently in my fifth year of studies and I’m in the early stages of my design project. I have decided upon the task of designing an Alzheimer’s Day care home (with a bit of a difference). This is where you may be able to help me.

Alzheimer’s has a personal connection to me as my grandfather suffers from the disease and is cared for by my Nana. That is what has inspired me to tackle this project. As you know the disease is extremely complex and each patient has specific requirements but as a designer I need to know these requirements in order to address them?

My aim is to design a care home..however the last thing I want to do is design it like is a care home…if that makes any sense. I have seen my grandfather be totally taken by the disease but he still has the ability to do small amounts of gardening, look after his pet dog and relax watching the birds. Many simple things that can still be enjoyed. After doing some basic research it has become apparent that there is nothing done ‘architecturally’ to keep the brain active or deal with the diseases constraints and requirements. They are largely conventional rooms with larger social spaces, difficult corridors, awkward doorways and poorly placed windows. In my view from what I’ve seen from my granddad he may have a lot of problems but the simple things in life he still enjoys as much as anyone..even if it is as basic as a cup of tea sitting on a chair infront of a large window with a good view. I want to address these issues.

I want to designs a centre where couples (like my nana & grandad) or single sufferers can come to and enjoy a social, fun and beneficial day out.

So this is where you may be able to help me. If you have any specific hobbies, activities, likes & dislikes or anything you feel is important for me to know then please don’t hesitate to right back to me. Even if you agree with my idea or think its not feasible. Any feedback would be great.

Thankyou,

Stuart Coleman

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Hello and welcome to TP. Good luck to you too, I think you have certainly come to the right place :)

I would agree with the idea of a garden! Certainly here, FIL loved to sit in the sun throughout the summer. He didn't actually do anything but he liked activity to be going on around him, and he especially liked to sit by the pond and feed the fish. Of course, any water would need to be covered. I would suggest an easy access garden area, no steps and hand rails etc to hold on to. Solid benches that won't tip. Perhaps raised flower beds with walls that could be used as support.

I think there may be some research you could follow re colours and especially carpets as we had some confusion here quite recently. Mirrors too caused some upsets and windows after dark when reflections caused a lot of confusion.

I'm really interested to hear how you progress :)

Last edited:

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Hi and welcome from me, too.

I have visited seven different care homes in the last four days, looking to place my husband (very reluctantly) in residential care. The best communal lounge that I have seen so far was a very large conservatory, circular, with plenty of doors out into an enclosed garden. It was high, light and airy and looked out over lawns, shrubs and tall trees. But there were no "grab rails" in sight outside and only those with a good sense of balance could go out alone, I would think.

The residents' rooms with the most appeal were those with a large window, regardless of the view. Generosity with daylight seems such a small thing to ask.

And good lighting indoors is a must, to help with failing eyesight.

Several of the care homes I have seen did not have en suites which quite surprised me. Lots of grab rails needed in these, too, of course - in fact, anywhere where the resident has to navigate their way across or along a space or corridor. (Even someone with a walking stick is reassured by a handy grab rail.) And a cramped en suite is as bad as none at all.

And please provide shelving for family photographs and a few personal belongings because if most furniture is "built-in" there are no surfaces free to put stuff down on, from an inhaler, say, to a pair of glasses when getting into bed.

And sufficient shelving in the bathroom, please, for toiletries to be visible rather than tucked into a wall cupboard where they will not get used because probably forgotten. And just as bad is having to balance them along the back of the handbasin, which I have seen more than once recently.

And allowance for provision of gentle all-night lighting (without an en suite fan running) so the resident can see their way to the loo if and when they wake at night.

Endless corridors are also a bit daunting for someone who knows they cannot walk too well. Don't know how you'd get around that, but perhaps you could give it some thought.:):)

Hope this helps a little.

Love, Nan

terry16

May 13, 2009
hampshire
Hi
What a fabulous idea, new thinking for an old problem!!

My husband has Alzheimers but still has a great deal of insight about his lack of memory and ability to do mundane things.

Anything that gives the person pride and FUN. because every place we have been to carers cafes etc. works so well when there is an element of fun and laughter.

Please just think of what you enjoy in your leisure time and adapt it to suit [ with safeguards added ]

Good luck with your project
Jan

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
Hi Stuart,I have spent the last two years looking for premises to provide day care for people with dementia and the last 12 months setting up a day care centre from scratch.

Here are my findings, all from hands on experience.

Firstly,most important and this has been mentioned already is to have a centre with plenty of natural light.Ideally, you need two conservatories/ sun rooms,one for quiet reflection,reading etc and one for more noisy social gatherings.Being able to see the changing seasons,watch birds feed,see flowers etc all year round is wonderful.

The exterior of the centre needs to look like home,non institutionalised,the outside is what people with dementia see first,if they are scared by what they see,they won`t come in!!!

Have flowers,a normal looking front door,painted in a welcoming colour.

The whole ethos of a day centre for people with dementia should be like home.The kitchen should be the heart of the house where people can smell baking,fresh coffee etc.We find that lunch is the most significant part of the day,eating in a social group is what families used to do,we have a large farmhouse kitchen with tables to accomodate no more than ten people ,8 guests and two staff. We have another dining room with a table for 6.

We have a large drawing room where we can have large group activities.We have a quiet sitting room which can double up as a sensory room if needed.

We have an arts and craft room with tiled floors so it doesn`t matter what ends up on the floor.

We also have a large sun room which opens up onto a secure courtyard.

The maximum people we could take per day is 15-20.

This means we usually have four people in each room,all doing different things/activities.

We have settees,leather recliners for relaxing in and the good posture nursing type chairs but in beautiful colour.

None of our guests know they are coming to a day centre,they all think they are sort of home,if that makes sense.

You will need at least three loos.
We are now getting asked to provide a bathing service so we use the normal family bathroom,don`t have anything clinical looking,it scares people.Good to have a wet room but remember alot of people with dementia will not know what a shower is so always have a nice bathroom as well.

Bonus would be a therapy room for visting chiropodists/nurses etc.

A small office for the staff,you can make this as awful as you want to stop the staff from hiding in it and shuffling paper!!!!

Another bonus would be an IT room,especially for younger people with dementia who have been brought up with computers.

Now here is my bee in my bonnet which causes lots of gasps,you don`t need locked doors,security pads,entry systems.

Sensors are less obtrusive,although we have never set our up .

If people are kept occupied and are happy they don`t wander!!!!!
Don`t forget we are talking day care here folks and not secure EMI care.

Have a fire in one of the rooms,artificial or a log burner.
Have a fish tank.

I could go on forever,don`t forget to have memory prompts applicable to age cattegories,we have our craft room resembling a 50s cafe with pin ball machine and juke box.
We have a split screen morris minor in the garden .

We have a mens shed,vegetable patches etc etc.

Go to town with your imagination,start with a blank canvas.

I had never set foot in a day centre until I opened mine!!!!!

seaurchin

Oct 24, 2009
Hi,

Try not to forget that younger people suffer with Alzheimers too and are likely to have different needs to those more advanced in years. My husband is physically quite active and mobile despite his cognitive decline. He loves short nature rambles and music.

Good luck with your studies:)

ceetee

Nov 18, 2010
Bedfordshire
Hi,

my husband loves music, too. He still plays his guitar and banjo. A music room would be great, maybe with various instruments. I myself work with physically disabled kids, who all love our multi-sensory room with lights, fans, massage and water beds, beanbags, mirrors etc.

Good luck for the project! Ceetee:)

stuart1986

Jan 25, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
feedback!

WOW! all of this information is fantastic!
This will help me so much with my project. I see I can attach stuff to this blog so I will keep you all updated with my design/ideas. :)

And anyone body else who stumbles upon this thread, your thoughts will still help!

Thanks again, Stu

Jameela

Dec 3, 2010
Cambridgeshire
What a fantastic project!

Just a couple of thoughts: good lighting, but of a natural type. Also, try to avoid too many shadows being cast (as I'm told it can contribute majorly to sundowning - certainly I think it's one of the things that freaks my own mum out).

A therapeutic garden would also be excellent IMO. Whether it's one that the residents can actively help to plant, or one they can simply relax in - lots of cottagey plants, with plenty of colour and scent. Raised beds (wheelchair height) a must. Maybe also an old-fashioned veg patch, bird table, and a proper rickety old shed! (I'm a bit of a gardening fanatic myself and know well the peace that comes with being up to one's elbows in compost.)

Keep us updated!

Cheers
J

flinny

Sep 1, 2008
I have come a bit late to this thread, but find it so interesting. My mum gets very agitated and can't sit still. Her respite centre is designed in a figure 8 with gardens in the centre of the two circles. This way she can wander until she calms down and then joins in with whichever room she fancies. Agree light plays a big part. And for the winter maybe a flame effect fire in the lounge, this may help with the sing-a-longs everyone loves.

This is such a vast subject. I wish you luck