Facing up to a problem

Connector55

Jan 21, 2011
West Sussex
Have just had the courage to go into this site and register. Have been completely aware that I am not alone in this problem but facing up to it has been hard. Judging by everyone's posts and blogs then clearly there are alot of experienced carers out there sharing the same sort of problems.

Mother was diagnosed in late 2008 - didn't get Aracept until late 2009. She lives 160 miles away from me and I was visitng infrequently so probably did not pick up on the problem early enough. Now I see her every two weeks but working full time its not easy particularly when I go there I end up doing things like cleaning, cooking, shopping etc and then have long drive back on M11, M25.

Mum lives alone in a wonderful bungalow that she is so proud of and is in complete denial that there is anything wrong. She moved to Lincolnshire seven years ago from Kent and loves it. She is near her sister again and they spend every week end together. I have put things in place like getting gardener, paying neighbour to give medication (Mum was forgetting)and thought that for the moment things were in control although aware that its a constantly changing world now and I need to be prepared for every eventuality. Also spoke to various local authority help agencies etc so am slowly understanding what is available in her local area and have had several meetings etc on the subject.

Recent developments however are filling me with worry and despair. Mum's sister is displaying very similar signs - in fact she seems to be even more confused than Mum so I can no longer rely upon her to be part of my local support team although they spend alot of time together which is good for consistency and familiarity. Mum's neighbours are aware of the problems and are brilliant but are beginning to get sucked into the ever increasing domestic problems ie electric trip goes off regularly. How an 87 year old can do so much damage to electrical equipment is beyond me and its scary! She is on her third toaster in less than three months. Thankfully we had a new ring main put in when I had a new kitchen fitted last year. I know now of course, that that was probably the wrong thing to do, ie new kitchen. Inspite of putting in far safer equipment and things that are easy to operate replacing the old, dangerous and complex stuff she had before - she is now unable to remember how to use the cooker, has dismantled the new taps and burnt the worksurfaces etc. She has started smoking again after 30 years! Had Firebrigade fit new smoke alarm too.

I was there at weekend and fridge empty (although cupboards full of tins) - she says she is eating but not sure what.

Guess the reason I'm posting this is to find out how people deal with someone who doesn't think they need help with anything and how they cope with the frustration of it all. There are some good things too - Mum and I have never laughed so much together and we are spending far more time together. Balancing all of this with rest of my family needs is hard. Any tips and hints welcome - particularly from anyone living in Lincolnshire who might have some practical things to share.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Welcome to TP.

Im not a distance carer,I do recognise many if the thungs you have mentioned but your situation is very different.

We have distance carers on here, and hopefully they will be along soon.

to be honest it seems to me that it is now unsafe for mum to live on her own. I can only guess what your mum is doing to the electrics to keep tripping at the meter. you may need to put a box over the power sockets.

keep posting you will get good ideas and a lots of support

Nannybus

Dec 21, 2010
Hi

I was a distance carer and identify with much of your post and sympathise greatly. Hope you get some practical help from this site and in the meantime I have sent you a 'Private Message.'

Keep posting and hopefully help will come your way from people who have overcome the difficulties you are now facing.

Feezee

Oct 20, 2009
South West
Dear Connector,
You and your sister are clearly doing all that you can. You sound at the end of your tether!

I wasn't quite so far away from my father but all of your story rings bells with me. Tripping the electrics, fogetting to take medicine, him becoming more and more isolated and any unofficial support in place being inadequate.

It does sounds like your mother needs a lot more support to be safe in her own home. My father was vascilating between wanting me around there all the time (ringing at all times with problems) but also saying he didn't need any support. Very frustrating. He had no concept of me, my needs and my family life, nor his illness.

Have you had any social services care assessments? Have you considered the approach that many take on here - introducing carers as your friends or people there to help you and then slowly backing away while they are there?

Others (depending on how far their loved ones are along the journey and how accepting of their condition they are) give them an ultimatum of "either accept carers/more support or the choice may be taken away from you and you may lose your ability to live at home at all".

My father was in complete denial and so sounds a little like your mother. I have to admit I started using white lies in order to get a certain amount of compliance, and I tried desperately not to listen to the guilt inducing complaints. It didn't stop me feeling frustrated, but did help to reduce it as I felt more in control.

Ultimately you and your sister know how much you can take on, and you will find the strength to make the decision on whether more support/carers will work or not, and what to do for the best.
TP is full of supportive individuals who understand your frustrations and can offer ideas and suggestions as well as a place to vent - it certainly helps reduce my frustration levels.

Take care
Feezee

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hiya, no advice but commiserations. Distance makes you feel more hassled but believe me it is not a factor in things going wrong. My Mum lives a 2 minute drive ,7 minute walk from me and I still can get 20 calls a day about things going wrong. On of her favourites is the central heating isn't working. Now Mum likes her house 2 degress cooler than Hades....OK Mum, have you turned it up at the wall? Downstairs do you mean? Yes Mum, that's the only way you can do that. And have you checked if the Hot tap is running in the bathroom ( the usual culprit)? Just a minute, puts phone down comes back Well I've turned it off but it wasn't on.:confused::confused: By the time I've got there the place is steaming it's so hot and she'll say I must take my cardie off, it's a bit warm in here!! Last week it was the freezer in the garage, she'd managed to turn off the mains switch to the garage. Big sigh, big smile, No Mum it's sorted now and home you go till the next time. Social Services say she isn't ready for a home yet. I AM.:D

hongkongsandy

Mar 3, 2009
uk
There should be lots of options to help your mum (care visits, meals, etc) depending on what best suits her situation (and yours).

Our local alzheimers support charity were great. I would consider calling the alzheimers society who will be able to help. The local people will have experience of services in your mums area and help save you having to research everything alone. 0845 300 0336. I tried to do everything myself but realise now i spent a lot of time reinventing the wheel.

With regards to your mums sister, its natural to worry and i am sure she is scared. I would hope she would see her GP to put her mind at rest. Things are never certain. I care for my mum who now has moderate to severe AD. Her younger sister was worried about herself before mum, despite a long period of uncertainty she is fine and will go to visit her grandson in singapore next month :) My mums family has a prevalance of AD too - you never know.

Regarding giving help that is not wanted but clearly needed. Never easy, with my mum the more you make a big deal of something the less likely it is she will coperate. Keeping cheerful and patient helps. Its hard to explain but don't approach things head on look for the way round. Often with mum if she though something was for work she would be eager to do it. You know your mum, keeping trying differnt approaches and hopefully you will find something that works.

You can't make someone face up to something if they are not ready too. You can help support them - try to anticipate risks (a grab rail here, smoke alarm there) and as things progress look to introduce what is needed gradually. You can't fix things overnight, tbh you can never really fix things just make sure the person is safe. If you can do that and continue to provide emotional support that you do currently too i think thats the most any of us can do. Its good to hear you can laugh with your mum! good luck

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
I am sorry to read your post. To be honest I think this horrible dementia creeps up so slowly sometimes that you don't have to be a distant carer to miss the initial signs. Looking back we can see so many that we missed and FIL was living with us! We put it down to him being grumpy, out of sorts etc.

I have to say I don't like the ultimatum line. FIL lost his reasoning skills, but may be that depends on how far along the line your mum is. We introduced carers, initially when we were both still working, by saying they were they for us, to stop us worrying, so that we could be happy that he was ok etc. Also the added weight of saying it is what the doctors wants you to do helped! He would never had had carers in for himself. Sadly the time came when he could not be left alone at all, he was a danger to himself and became unpredicable and needed 24/7 care.

Good luck. xx

Last edited:

Logan

Nov 1, 2010
My husband's GP once said that "all men get grumpy with old age - (he was 65 then) and it is just that your marriage is not gelling" and with that GP put one hand over the other interconnecting his fingers. It is the loss of reasoning which has highlight husband's condition. Lx

Meercat

Aug 13, 2010
Your story sounds very familiar.
I am a long distance carer too and my M really won't admit she has a problem. All sorts of things need fixing/renewing in the house - all of which I now realise were abandonded as M lost the ability to plan and organise. Just like you, we're now reluctant to change anything. The new hob and cooker are unused:(

I'm unable to shed some light on your problem but thank you for this thread as it may help us

Meercat

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
And have you checked if the Hot tap is running in the bathroom ( the usual culprit)? Just a minute, puts phone down comes back Well I've turned it off but it wasn't on.:D

I wonder how many members will have experienced similar situations So sad but it still makes you smile
jimbo111