Eating to stay alive

Starshine

May 19, 2009
Seaside
Sorry haven't been around so much lately, usual rush of problems that every one off you is suffering daily, but I hoep the New Year is bringing some sunshine and hope for everyone. Now been slung another problem Auntie won't eat! tried tempting her with all sorts of tit bits etc etc etc she seems to be giving up and giving in HELP how does anyone cope with this, can't bear to see her withering away to nothing. Its hurting so bad.
Starshine x

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Hello

I don't think we've been in a thread together Starshine - I've not been here much for a while either. I think this problem is quite common and without sounding depressing - I think you are doing all you can do. I think you should let her GP know - just sometimes it might be a sore tooth or sore throat or sore gums.....maybe she would let the GP have a look? Also it keeps you right that an external person knows. Also she will have stopped taking her tablets.

Will she takes drinks? - that is vital - we can do without food a while but fluid just has to be taken.

I hope it is a phase, a brief one - but suspect you might be right - sometimes people just clamp their mouth and we can't force them to eat.

In this circumstance I would be most worried about her mouth getting disgusting & foul as that would put her off eating even more - it very easily becomes fungal, thrushy, & sore. Ways to stop this are to keep the drinks going, make sure there is no food debris left in the mouth, give a little live natural yogurt whenever you can & if she is safe sucking a sweetie of any kind (you might need to supervise re choking) - that will keep the saliva flowing. I'm sure you've tried little chunks of ready cut up fruit that she could pick up with her fingers?

Sorry to hear of your woes......but you are right - there is a little sunshine now & again & the days are noticeably lengthening.

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hello Starshine, I so feel for you and your Auntie in this situation, it's agonising.

Bookworm mentioned the possibility that her mouth may be sore, which is a relevant point.
My Mum had full dentures top & bottom and, as she lost weight, her gums shrank so that the dentures started to rub up mouth ulcers.
Naturally this was making it painful for her to chew.
Ice cream and yoghurt was the only kind of thing I could get into her (it was summertime) and as much in the way of drinks as she would take.

I got a lot of tips, helpful advice and massive support on Talking Point on the thread I started at the time, "Mum won't eat ..." http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?t=12032 , and I hope it may help you in your situation.

Best wishes

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Starshine
Like others have already said it could be mouth problems,

It could be an infection such as uti, maybe mum is in pain

Do speak to gp asap , there are many nourishing drinks such as Fortsip that can be prescribed , high in calories , vitamins ect and its wise to inform doc of problems like this .

Im also wondering if mums taste has changed , my mums did virtually overnight, so if mum likeed savory try her on sweet things.
with my mum the sweeter it was the better she liked it :)

Dont worry about a balanced diet or proper meals at the moment , anything.. you can get mum to eat is a good thing

getting my mum to drink was so difficult ,
xxx

Starshine

May 19, 2009
Seaside
Thanks so much for responses, knew I could reply on good advice on TP. I agree it is probably her dentures (I am keeping positive that Auntie hasn't just had enough and giving up) awhile ago she was having problems because her top dentures were too loose, I made sure they were stuck securely which for awhile eased things for her, I have checked this time and doesn't seem to be the problem, she is still enjoying a nice cuppa tea, and occasional slab of cake, so fingers crossed its a phase, but none the less any worrying. Will continue to try and tempt her, fingers crossed.
Thanks again
Starshine x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathy T