Dad one year on!

lynnd

Jan 13, 2011
New Malden, Surrey
Hi everyone,I feel like I sort of know you all as I have been on this site and reading peoples blogs for best part of a year but never had the guts to reigister and write something.

Where do I begin (bet thats been said a few times),

My Father has Vascular Dementia! he was diagnosed about two years ago. It all began one day on a train, it was July and the weather was particulaly hot and even though he was sitting down he had a "fainting spell" but recovered and managed with my mothers help to get home....shortly after this on a Sunday morning he had an epiletic fit. We were all gobsmacked as he had never suffered from epilepsy before, but at the hospital they reassured us he was fine and referred him to a first fit clinic, that appointment never materialised and as we thought it was a one off never pursued it and life returned to normal.

Two months went past, and again on a Sunday morning my father had a batch of epileptic fits, four in total and was admitted to hospital. This time a battery of tests were carried out as he took so long to come round and when he did was disorientated, and confused. The doctors gave him a through going over including a CT scan, we were then told that at some point over the previous year that he had, had a stroke (that day on the train who knows) and he now has vascular dementia....what a shock that was, oh and to top it off was a fully fledge epileptic.

My Father was sent home with medication for his epilepsy but nothing for the dementia and for a while we kidded ourselves that the doc's had got it wrong as he was showing no outward signs of memeory loss but he was always a man of few words anyway, although my Mum did say that she would catch him in a world of his own on occasions.

Now this story goes in batchs of two months because exactly two months later my Father had another four fits one after the other again on a Sunday morning (we wondered about this Sunday morning thing and realised he liked a couple of gin and tonics on a Saturday night, was this the trigger we will never know). He was rushed to hospital, and was put on life support as he was in a bad way and need intensive care which was provided nowhere near where we lived but that didn't matter, the care he got was second to none. My Father came round very slowly it took about 10 days, he was in hospital about three weeks in total then released into a rehab hospital near to where we live where he stayed for two months.

We were now under no illusion on what his condition was now, and could kid ourselves no longer......the upheaval for my Mother was immense, she had to leave the family home and move into sheltered accomodation in a different area, she was never a very happy women but this sent her over the edge and she felt very resentful towards my Father, but loved the attention that the family and carers gave to her when he came home, but that was all short lived. My Father has a private pension so therefore had to pay for any carers that the social services put in place, my Mother soon put paid to that, she couldn't understand why it wasn't free, so she made their lives a misery even phoning the police on one occasion when one of the carers turned up late! She then decided she was going to go it alone and went against everybodys advice (you need to bare in mind my Mum was Eighty at the time and my Dad Seventy Eight and my Mum being under five foot and tiny and my Dad being six foot and over fifteen stone. My Dad has always suffered with an arthritic knee and this soon became a real problem with his mobility, as the dementia was telling him that he couldn't walk, so it was not unusual to get phone calls in the middle of the night, when on his way to the toilet he had froze and one of us would have to drive round and unfreeze him.

Things came to a head about four weeks ago when we realised that the funny smell in my Mums house was my Dad, she thought washing the bits you could see would surfice! We had been badgering the GP to come out for weeks as we felt he was declining both mentally and physically, but the GP kept saying he was fine and Mum was doing a great job, we eventually got him to get a physio out about his knee, she took one look at him and got him addmitted to a rehab hospital where he has been for about four weeks, his condition deteriotating before our eyes.

I am so sorry this was going to be a short blog just to outline past history and has turned into a rant. The hospital yesterday told us he has to go into a care home which we always knew was a possibility but then comes the body blow, Social Services have now told us today that they might send him home with a large care package? What does that mean......will they stay the night in a one bedroom flat and look after him when he gets up five or six time wandering? We are all at our wits end, and my Mother isnt helping by shouting at everyone and generally being nasty, her memory isn't the best so a lot of the time its in one ear and out the other.

Nobody has to reply to this rant as I am quite embarassed that I have written it, if I am brave enough I will give you an update..

Take care all x

Logan

Nov 1, 2010
Don't be embarrassed LynnD

Nothing to be embarrassed about the situation which you and your family have found yourself in. I am sure there will be other TPers along soon who will be able to give you constructive words, help and advice. I wanted to say hello and to reassure you. Lx

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Please don't feel embarassed. You have to let off steam and this a great place to do just that. No one will judge you and so many will understand. Sending you a hug, xx Take care of yourself too!

Rachel T

Dec 9, 2010
Northamptonshire
What have you to be embarressed about?? You want to read some of the rants I've posted on TP!!!

We all need to talk about our problems and what better place than TP where no-one judges and everyone understands. I've found this site a god-send for the past few months, I'm sure you will too.

I do wish you all the best with the very difficult situation you are in, I'm sure you will get some good advise.

Take care, Rachel xxx

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
Dear Lynn,

Welcome to TP, and I must also say you have no reason to be embarrassed. Your story so far sounds so similar to many I have read in my time here, so you are not alone.

I just wanted to sympathise with you on what sounds like a very difficult situation. In answer to your question, I imagine by "big care package", they mean a care agency who will come as many times during the day as is necessary ( I expect another assessment will be done once he is back home) but it will include personal care, so the bits that aren't on show, will also be well looked after! It may also cover mealtimes and giving medication, possibly dressing and even outpatient care (physio, district nurses etc.). My limited knowledge, based on my parents' joint needs was that 4 times a day was the maximum calls per day, and my parents had this 7 days a week. Theirs was funded by social services, because they each had savings below the threshold.

I would see what they are offering and then discuss this with your family. As much as it can be a great benefit to have a dementia sufferer in their own home as long as possible, for reasons of familiarity, comfort, security and habit, if this sheltered housing is a fairly recent move, it may not benefit your dad in that way.

Also, if the main carer (your mum) can give the time, patience and understanding that he needs, then this is usually the best reason in the world to keep him at home. However, if she is resentful and not educated in what his needs are, then both mum AND dad could suffer, and no benefits will be had by either of them. In fact, your mum's health may also be compromised.

So if after all bases are covered and ultimately a care home is best for everyone, you should still be able to have that as an option. Your reasons and your mum's age should be quite good enough. As a family, you should still have options.

I hope I all works out so that both your mum and dad are settled and happy soon. I would suggest speaking to your social worker (sw) and explaining, in detail, what your concerns are, and see what they suggest as options. Your mum's wishes do need to be considered and if she was only doing the care out of duty, it may be that she's not the best person to look after your dad, sadly. It may turn out that she is a happier wife, being able to visit him regularly at a care home, where she knows his needs are being met.

Has your dad ever told you his wishes if ever these choices needed to be made? Sometimes that makes it easier, and other times, it can make things so much harder.

Let us know how things go and thank you for sharing your story. I hope writing it down has helped a little. I know it does for me!

Sending love,

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Lynn,

Welcome to the world of posting on the forum. I am glad that you took the courage to talk to us:)

I would like to pick up on just one of the points you made even though I have to confess that I am no expert on the matter. It is the question of cost. It does sound like your father has a lot of care needs and I am wondering whether he would qualify for Continuing Health Care. This is not means tested and if he qualifies it would mean that all his health care costs would be paid whether at home or in a care home. There are other Talking Point Members who have either automatically been granted Continuing Health Care or who have fought to get it and in several cases have won. I am sure someone more experienced in the procedure will post later to advise you on how to start the ball rolling.

Try to keep your courage Lynn and carry on talking to us. It will be nice to get to know you especially as you have got to know us by listening to us for about a year;):)

Love