Fantastic support

suemcc

Dec 30, 2010
Prestwich Manchester
My mum has dementia, I am unable to care for her as I have health issues so my huby has been her carer for a year now. It has become to much for him and poor hubby is going round every a.m. and p.m. Mum's dementia Dr/consultant is fantastic and sorted us out with a mental health nurse and he has been unbelievable. In a few short weeks he has got us a Social worker and she visited today - as a matter of urgency she said hubby needs support. We find out tomorrow the starting date of the care package beginning. 3 visits 7 days a week. This is such a weight off our shoulders. I read so many negative things about sw's so I thought it would be nice to let you all know we are very lucky to have such excellent people helping us. Mums dementia consultant is paying a home visit tomorrow as our nurse has told him how quickly mum is deteriorating.

Sue

Last edited:

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello and thank you so much for letting us know what excellent support you and your husband are getting. It is good to know.

I am sorry your Mum is deteriorating and hope the Consultant is able to offer some help.

suemcc

Dec 30, 2010
Prestwich Manchester
Update.

Consultant came out today, as always - remembers all our names, shakes our hands and always goes straight to Mum to chat with her.He reported her blood results were surprisingly good apart from still not absorbing B12. He was very encouraging to hubby and myself saying we doing right thing accepting care package as we need to be in good health as caring is wearing us down. What I like about this 'gentleman' is he always talks to Mum and not to us as though she is not there. As he left I got a reassuring hand on my shoulder and reminded that he is just at the end of the phone ! Reading some of the posts on here I realise just how lucky we are to have such a lovely genuine caring consultant.

Sue

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
This is really pleasing news, Sue. Can you get your mum's consultant to inform his colleagues on how it should be done? You have got a gem there, and good luck to you. He sounds like a man who loves his work. And we all know it is very important work. Important for the patient and important for the carers.

I wish you all the best.

Perhaps you could tell us how things transpire, it would be really good to hear from someone who gets the support we all deserve (and pay for!).

Love

Margaret

suemcc

Dec 30, 2010
Prestwich Manchester
Yes margaret

I am happy to keep you up to date with things. We are waiting to find out what we will have to pay for Mums care package as she has savings over the limit. It does anger me that she worked full time all her life, paid full stamp and is now being penalised for it...
Thank you for your interest.
I wish I could bottle Dr B's bedside manner up and send it out to you all to give to your Drs.

Best wishes.
Keep in touch

Sue

suemcc

Dec 30, 2010
Prestwich Manchester
more updates

Hubby spoke to social worker today, we have been given approval for the care package for mum to go ahead. She has now put this out to a companyto see if they are ok to do it - they did a week for us while we had a break - So fingers crossed carers will start soon.. We have been approved for 3 visits 7 days a week.

Feel like a big weight has been removed.

Sue

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Sue, hi
What good news about the consultant and the care package, good that you have alread got experience of the company and they know your mum too, it's a great start and I do hope it works well.
Your consultant sounds wonderful and so supportive, we are also finding the system is working well for us and our support, when accepted, is first rate, it does make such a difference.
I hope it works well and quickly and you get your hubby back to tip top form very soon.
with best wishes from Jo

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
How lovely....

to heart something positive! I hope sometimes the people that go the extra mile visit this site to see thier praises sung.:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey