Anyone got experience of drugs to treat anxiety/restlessness in Vascular Dementia

BeckHux

Jan 20, 2010
Devon
My Dad has Vascular Dementia and over the last few months my Mum has begun struggling with him during the 'sundowner' part of the day. His consultant put him on 200mg sulpiride to be taken during the early evening but this has no effect. Has anyone any experience of higher does of this drug? Or other drugs which may help instead of or in combination with this one?
Thanks!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi there. My mum (93) has Vasc Dementia. She was prescribed a low dose of Risperidone around a year ago to try to reduce anxiety at
sundowing time. This seemed to work quite well until just before Christmas. Her anxiety increased again so her dose of Risperidone has been increased. She now takes a tablet in the morning and one at tea time.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi BeckHux,

You might want to look at the Alzheimer's Society's factsheet on Drugs to treat behavioural symptoms:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=110

It can be quite a trial and error process to get the balance right so that the edge is taken off the difficult behaviour and yet there are minimal/no side effects.

Reactions to these classes of drugs are very individual and can be difficult to predict.

Take care,

SusanB

Jan 15, 2008
Hove
Hello, BeckHux

Our family is experiencing a similar problem to yours: Mum is 86 with VAD and was prescibed Trazodone last year - she is now given 200mg daily by Carers via a blister pack.

Sadly, as Trazodone is an anti-depressant (and Mum is not depressed!) it's having no effect whatsoever on her anxiety, which has now reached high proportions. She is constantly worried about almost everything, journeys in particular are a challenge, as is anything new.

I'm going to ask her pyschiatrist about an anti pyschotic when I next see him but I understand that there are serious contr-indications for those with heart problems and who are at risk from stroke. Oh dear, what to do.

You have my sympathy. Do let us know the outcome.

Susan

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
My mum was fearful and anxious +++ And was prescribed citalopram, first 10 mg daily, then 20 and now she is on 30. She is much less anxious.
Good luck. It's a really distressing symptom, isn't it. X