Genetic dementia, support

Lauren G

Dec 22, 2010
Hull
Hi,

I'm 27yrs old. My dad died from a hereditory type of dementia when he was 45 years old, he was ill for 6 years. His brother and mum died around the same age.

When I was 18 years old I went for testing to see if I carried the gene, which unfortunatly I do. I have learned to accept my fate although it does effect certain areas of my life, especially relationships.

I would love to hear from anyone in a similar situation. Sometimes i'd like to talk about it but I don't like to upset my mum and no one eles really knows. Any support would be greatly recieved.

Lauren:)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Lauren I'm so sorry for your situation. I realise it must be hard for you to talk about it but you will always find people ready to listen on TP. Take care. xx

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Hi Lauren,

What a bitter thing to discover at such a young age and I'm full of admiration for the way you are accepting it.

Does carrying the gene mean that it's inevitable you will develop dementia early or is it "just" a possibility? Which obviously is still numbingly awful but at least has a chance of you by-passing it.

There are others here who are either young sufferers or carers to younger sufferers and I hope you feel able to talk about your fears and ask questions. You'll certainly get emotional support here, and I hope you continue to keep posting.

Best wishes xx

Lauren G

Dec 22, 2010
Hull
I had a 50/50 chance of carrying the gene, i did carry the gene so the dignosis is certain. Some people choose not to find out but I had to know.

Thanks for your words of encouragement x

Suzanna

Dec 5, 2007
Manchester/London
i've got one foot in the boat with you Lauren! :)

Hi Lauren,

I haven't been on this forum for a long time... My Mum had a genetic form of AD (presenile 1??... i think...)She died just over a year and a half ago now, and her Mum also died from AD. My Mum was 49 when she developed it and just 61 when she died, so fairly similar to your father.
I'm so sorry to hear that you tested positive for the gene :(
I haven't been tested myself yet, but will do shortly (awaiting on my appointment!)so although I don't know exactly how you feel, I have spent a looooong time thinking about the implications of carrying the gene and trying to imagine how I would feel in a bid to feel 'prepared' for my test results so can empathise slightly.
I find it interesting that you say no-one other than your Mum really knows the situation, I think people would assume you would want people to know, but actually I haven't told anyone that i'm going for testing, and i'm planning to keep it that way - I don't want to worry people, and I certainly don't want people treating me differently, so I think it's easier that way.
Anyway, I didn't respond to this post to go on about myself! Just wanted to let you know that i'm around, and if you ever want to talk just drop me a message :)

Best wishes,

Suzanna x
(if you message me on here i can give you my email which is probably a better way to get me!)

Nanak

Mar 25, 2010
Brisbane Australia
Hi Lauren
What a dreadful thing to have to deal with.
You are a year younger than my eldest daughter and the thought of someone so young carrying that knowledge around is heartbreaking.
You will get so much support on TP.
We are all here for you
Nanak
missing what has gone and scared of what is to ocme

Sophieone

Jan 12, 2011
You're not alone

Hi Lauren

I was sorry to read about your situation and just wanted to let you know that I'm in a very similar situation to yourself, so you're not on your own. :)

I'm 31, married with a 2 year old daughter. There's a genetic illness in our family called Cadasil. It causes migraine, strokes and dementia. We only found out about it in 2005 as my dad was misdiagnosed with MS initially. I had my daughter in 2008.I fell accidentally pregnant and having her was the only option I could live with (although when I say 'live with' I feel guilty every day). At the time I did know about the genetic illness but was clinging on to the hope that I hadn't inherited it. I am/ was desperate for another baby so decided to have the test earlier this year. I found in Nov that it was positive.

I think you were really brave having the test at such a young age. It is incredibly difficult to live with the knowledge that you're likely to be pretty ill at a fairly young age. It's certainly affected just about every aspect of my life, and none of it in a good way.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling now. I hope you read this. I just wanted you to know you're not on your own. I know howe scary and lonely being in this situation is and I'm here if you want to talk.

xxx

Minimuffin

Jan 14, 2011
Something to think about too

Hi Lauren and others.

I am new to this forum, although I have been a lurker for ages. Regrettably I think I will shortly find myself in this boat too. We have a strong family history of early onset Alzheimers(in early to mid 50's) which is increasingly looking as though it will be a genetic fault.

My mum is going to be tested first as she is approaching the age, her brother was diganosed before Christmas (age 54). Then it will be a decision for me and my brother (both in our late 20's). I have spoken at length with the lovely folk at the AS helpline and understand that there is likely to be 50/50 chance I will carry the gene (genes) and if I carry it then I will get Alzheimers (at a "comparatory early age"). There is no pre-emtive treat currently available but I would of course be monitored and started on drug treatments if/when I started to show the symptoms. I have two beautiful boys (5 and 4) I didnt give a thought that this could affect them (other than possibly having to see me like it), as until we found out about my uncle it had only affected the female members of the family (my grandmother, her sister etc).

Now I am struck with two horrible feelings, I may lose my mum sooner rather than later and secondly I may have passed this bloody disease on to my babies. I desperately want another baby but this has made me re-evaluate that thought. I am not really concerned with whether I will get it, its mum and the kids I worry about.

I will want to find out when I am approaching the age of 45-50 so that I know what is coming in the relative short term, but I do not want to know right now at 29. If all the gene did was increase your risk factor, I would find out, if it gurantees it will come my way I want to live my life for the next 10-15 thinking "I may not have it and if I do then perhaps medicine will move on before I need to worry about it".

The AS helpline have given me a lot to think about in relation to genetic testing and counselling. I absolutely love the fact that even in the face of some blubbering idoit (me) on the phone they can give out the positive facts regarding the drug treatment and trials. Like they said to me this week "the last decade has seen major break throughs in drug treatments - you never know what the next 10-15 yrs will bring".

Sorry for rambling - I would welcome chatting with you about your experiences, and just, well, chat in general.

Love
MM

Sophieone

Jan 12, 2011
Hi

Hi

I didn't want to read and run but I've got my daughter climbing all over me and it's a bit hectic at the moment so I can't reply properly at the moment!

I'm sorry you're in this awful situation too. Having been in exactly your situation and then deciding to take the next step and actually being tested, I have the hindsight of being able to advise you not to have the test!The luxury of being able to think I haven't got the illness is gone for me now and the stupid thing is on my mind all the time and affects every aspect of my life. I'd recommend making decisions based on the worst case scenario,and not have any more babies. I wish I'd just done this and not gone to the extent of actually finding out for definite I have it!

I'll be back soon

Take care

xxxxx

Sophieone

Jan 12, 2011
I'm back

Hi MM

Daughter safely in bed and hubby at the shops so I have the chance to reply properly.

It may not feel like it but you do actually have a lot of hope to hold on to. You don't know whether your mum has the gene. There is a 50% chance she doesn't, and if that's the case then it eliminates all your worries about this illness :).

If the worst happens and she has inherited it, then there's still a good chance that you haven't! If you're very unlucky and it turns out that you have then, again, there's a good chance your kids haven't. When you look at it like that, there is a good chance overall that many of your worst fears won't come true.

I hold on to the fact that my daughter may not have inherited the gene, and that a cure or treatment may become available before I show any symptoms. With all the medical advances that are constantly being made, I am quite confident that treatments will be available for our children's generation. There is a vested interest in coming up with a cure or treatment for dementia related illnesses as it's such a financial burden on the government.

My main worries are that I won't be able to work long enough to pay off the mortgage or support my daughter and we'll all the stress of being even more impoverished than we are now. My other main worries are having to tell my daughter about the illness, I know how scared I was and am about it, and being too ill to be there mentally and physically for her as she's growing up. I'm scared I won't be able to support her emotionally, as my mum has and is able to to for me. The same for my husband- I don't want him to wind up being my carer with no life of his own.

Sorry, what a depressing post this is! I am actually fairly happy on a day to day basis, this has certainly made me appreciate being well and healthy and alive! I've also had enough experiences that have taught me that the most unepected things can, and do, happen to anyone. The old adage about getting knocked down by a bus carries a lot of truth, and I use this to rationalise this horrible knowledge that I carry around with me. When I was told my results were positive, I asked the registrar how dealing with genetic illness day in and day out affected her and she said she walks down the street and is aware that the majority of people she passes will have inherited something that makes them more likely to develop certain illnesses. Its just that in families like ours we know what it is and can test for it.

Sorry for such a long post!

xxx

Minimuffin

Jan 14, 2011
Hello!

Hi - Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, I've been snowed under with work and not seem to have had a moments peace!

I cannot thank you enough for your reply, I am so sorry that you have found out that you carry a defective gene for such a horrible illness - you were very brave to find out.

Since my last post I have done a lot of thinking and me and hubby have had a few long chats about the future.

I dont want to put too much on here (just in case someone from my family sees and works out this is me!) but regrettably I would be very surprised if there was not something wrong with mum as even without recent events I have wondered for a while - v sad about that fact alone.

In relation to my own life, I cannot say that it will not effect my decision making from now on but I am determined to live each day to the fullest! I certainly will be living my life by the moto "life is too short so why worry about it".

I wont find out and have genetic testing now, I would rather live in hope that it will not happen or that medicine moves on to offer some preemptive treatment. As for more kiddies I am actually swinging more towards having another now rather than later, we have spoken about this at length this weekend, and personally have come to the conclusion that we cannot rob a future child of 50 yrs of life on the possibility that we carry the gene. If it was a gene for a illness that would shorten their childhood or make them very sick at a young age, I would not even contemplate it. As it stands the worse case scenario is 50-55 years here, thats a long time in medicine. I completely understand that this is a very personal decision and some will disagree with me.

If I get to 45 and there is no cure, I will undergo genetic testing and find out for definate, simply so that I can put my "house" in order.

I try in the mean time to make sure my kids/hubby are financially secure in the future just in case I am not there (well I might be there physically not mentally).

Thank you so much for taking time out to reply to my last message - I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it.

Take care

MM
xx

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Dont quite know what to say but wanted you to know youre supported here on TP
I have been diagnosed with Vascular Dementia I am 56 so I do know how it feels to have something horrible hanging over my head but my philosophy is to enjoy life as much as i can live life to the max i could waste so much energy worrying about it.
I can appreciate how difficult it is not having anyone to talk to. When I was first diagnosed I rang the help line and they were incredibly helpful, mostly just listening but offering a bit of advice too
Lots of support Sarah

Sophieone

Jan 12, 2011
As for more kiddies I am actually swinging more towards having another now rather than later, we have spoken about this at length this weekend, and personally have come to the conclusion that we cannot rob a future child of 50 yrs of life on the possibility that we carry the gene. If it was a gene for a illness that would shorten their childhood or make them very sick at a young age, I would not even contemplate it. As it stands the worse case scenario is 50-55 years here, thats a long time in medicine. I completely understand that this is a very personal decision and some will disagree with me.

Hi MM

I'm really glad you've reached a decision you're happy with about having another child. I certainly don't disagree with what you're doing, in fact I find your attitude inspiring. If the very worst situation was to occur then fifty years is still a long time to be alive. When I first got my test result I read up on various ideas and theories about life and death (it helped me get my head round things!) and a similar philosophy really resonated with me. Whatever the length of time we are here, each life no matter how long or short is equally as significant and, to the person who lived it, a life in its entirety. If that makes any sense! When I was pregnant and had genetic counselling I was told that the majority of pregnancies at risk of adult onset genetic illness where not tested for the illness because the general opinion is that the child will live a fairly long and healthy life. I don't think there's any right or wrong in situations like this and no-one has the right to judge your decisions.

The illness in my family is slightly different in that it tends to start with having small strokes, onset is typically from the mid 40s, although onset varies greatly and can be younger or older. In the worst case scenario a sufferer could have a huge stroke at any time and die or be left disabled. I've also read on forums that giving birth itself has triggered strokes in some female sufferers, unfortunately this seems to happen literally just after birth, which seems particularly cruel. I don't want to risk this happening to me.

I'm finding it hard to deny myself another child, especially since most people I know around my age are pregnant or have had another baby. Occasionally I feel envious but generally just try to accept that, for some reason, this is how my life's turned out and I have to live with it. I have had a pretty rough time up until now and was hoping my 30s onward would be more settled and peaceful and I think I feel really let down that I have this hanging over me. It made me realise that I had a subconscious belief that some kind of higher power meters out good and bad luck to people and that I was due some good luck at last. I'm not religious so I don't know where this came from- I only realised I thought this way when I had such a strong feeling of unjustice! I know feel life experiences are mainly random and it's literally the luck of the draw!

I'm really really sorry you have reason to feel your mum has the gene. I must be so sad for you to know she is going to get ill and, obviously, increases the likelihood of you having inherited it,

Sarah- Since I've been dealing with my news this has been the best website I've come across. It's really helped to see that people with dementia are still living their lives and happy. It's really reassuring and heartening to know. When you hear the word 'dementia' it conjures up terrifying images which aren't necessarily the reality of the illness. Thank you.

Sorry for the long, waffling post!:eek:

xxxxx

lucky

Apr 29, 2010
cheshire
Hi Lauren G i was thinking of doing this myself as my grandma had it as did her sister and my mum was diagnosed last year with early onset at 59. It seems to be on the female side. it's a big decision to decide. How did you go about this?

Lucky

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
That's life

Laurn,
I don't know if my philosophy to life is of any help, but here goes. It's not how long you live, but what you do with the precious gift of time. I'm coming up to eighty and can say I really only lived the 52 years plus I spent with my wife. Up to then I had no life or family: a period of time best forgotten.
In those 52 yrs plus I lived a life that was full in every way and retired at age 54. Since my wife passed in Dec 2007 part of me died.
We use the cards we're dealt and from a bad hand learn to appreciate and use a good one wisely. It's pointless asking 'why me?' I did once; when suddenly we were robbed of a fifteen year old daughter by a 'hit and run.' Now I look outward and see so much suffering in the world about us. Each day is a gift to be thankful for. May your days be long and fruitful.

miss cool

Jul 20, 2010
taunton
Hi Padraig may i say that was lovely thing you said , very much how i think most of the time, i think we all at some time say why me but you are rite, love miss cool. xxxxxx

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
Thank you for your lovely comments. There are times I feel so sad and low not being able to help people caring for loved ones with AD. I've been very fortunate in gaining the experience of caring for my wife, firstly in the accepted conventional manner.

When that did not work I chose out of anger and frustration to care by my natural instincts. I kept asking my self how would I feel if our rolls were reversed. The answers came flooding out. I'd be scared of letting my nearest and dearest know. Fear of being 'put away' I'd want to 'go home' where I'd be safe and cared for. Fear of losing my independence etc. etc.

I'd had a lot going for me to be able to care alone. To this day I have no sense of direction and I know only too well how scary it is to get lost. I'm hopeless at remembering names of people and items. The feeling of being alone I know only too well as I was nobodies child. Coming to these conclusions made me love her all the more and determined to do everything in my power to give her a quality of life as long as she lived.

With reference to dying, first our GP said she was unlikely to survive over night almost five years prior to death. Then there is the entry in her medical records: "Padraig accepts Jean is dying" again long before time.

This is a long ramble but I only wish I could pass on many of the things I've learned.

Lauren

Oct 13, 2006
Dorset
results

Hi Lauren
~Im 23 and awaiting these results at the moment and dreading the result, I so sorry to hear that u are a carrier, does mean you are defiatly going to get alzheimers or not?
Its such a hard thing to deal with, when you are living with someone with this awful disease!
Take care
Laurenx