Yet another step down following that big seizure.

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Just returned from visiting David to find his sister sitting with him in tears...apparently he hasn't walked all week:( I have been in every day since the seizure and I must admit I hadn't noticed the loss of mobility as he was always sitting down when I visited.

His sister told me that, before I arrived, they had a problem getting him to his room to change him and today was the first time he had taken a couple of steps supported by the carers.

Am I daft thinking that his mobility is going to return or is this yet another step down following that awful last seizure? I think I already know the answer to that...

I looked at him today unable to walk, talk, dribbling, being fed and doubly incontinent and at 69 years old he is in fact like a year old baby and it is just heartbreaking.....

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Sue:
I understand the heartbreak as my husband is also in the same sort of state :eek:

It seems your David has had another step down, but hopefully some of his abilities will return. My David is in a really bad state but occasionally he can spoon feed himself or make fairly lucid comments - I hold on to those moments.

The disease is horrendous!

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
Dear Sue,

I see my mum the same. I've never really listed everything before, but you're so right. I have involuntarily found myself in the past encouraging her like I do my children and at different stages, for different tasks I use a different. It was easy and natural as I raised the children and helped my mum. They sort of worked hand in hand. But she has become more needy than my youngest (2yrs), and to see it as you've put it has suddenly made me think.

She IS like a 1 year old, only all the encouragement in the world to walk, use the toilet, eat and talk will never work. I've just finished all the big stuff with two of the children and am getting through milestones daily with the third, then I see my mum and it's like going backwards.

How terribly sad. And how much I understand your feelings.

Mo_N

Oct 29, 2009
South East Essex
Once more I wish I had a magic wand to make things better for you Sue & for all the other Tpers that have the agony of watching their loved one devasted by this awful illness.

I can't do that but I send you a big comforting hug.

Mo
x

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Sue,

I am really sorry to hear this about David's mobility:(
Am I daft thinking that his mobility is going to return

It's not daft to hope that there will be a return. We seem to be always hoping for those we love and care about.

I hope there is an improvement Sue but I guess only time will tell.

I hope for you, too, that you will have a good holiday with Jamie and the children:)

Love

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Sue just seem your latest post, and read it with such a heavy heart, that is exactly how it progressed with my Trev., and afraid mobility vanished over night, hope this is not so for David, was surprised the home had not made you aware of Davids downturn in mobility, I certainley would have expected them to do so. not that it changes anything though. Today I looked after 2 year old grandson and it suddenly hit me that as he was absorbing skills at the same rate as Trev was losing them, It is so heart breaking , Hope your family can gain some comfort and happiness from your shared time on Holiday, Hoping for better news in your next post love Pam

Libby

May 20, 2006
North East
Hu Sue

How terribly sad for you - we've recently had to start helping mum with her food, but your Dave is so young - my heart really goes out to you.

Liz x

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Today I looked after 2 year old grandson and it suddenly hit me that as he was absorbing skills at the same rate as Trev was losing them,

Yes I am afraid the deterioration really hits you when you have young grandchildren - my youngest has just turned 3 and does all the things that David can no longer do, which made realise that David is unlearning all the skills he has learnt at a very rapid rate.

I suppose the home thought that I must have realised as I have been there practically every day and I'm surprised I hadn't noticed, but as you say there was not a lot I could do about it anyway.

I'm torn at the moment, wanting to spend as much time with him as possible, but on the other hand I don't want him to notice I don't visit for a week whilst I am away - I don't want him to not recognise me when I return.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I don't want him to not recognise me when I return.
It brings tears to my eyes Sue.

You know it could happen at any time Sue, whether you were away or at home.
The deterioration David is experiencing is so unpredictable and obviously the result of his seizures, and no one knows how he will be affected.

I do hope you will be able to get some pleasure from your week away with Jamie and your grandchildren.

Love xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
The non recognition brings tears to my eyes too.

But I do think it is vital you get away and relax as much as possible. You need to be refreshed and strengthend for whatever comes next. I have only been away for 2/3 days at a time but it does lift me. My husband does not always recognise me when I get back but loads of kisses and hand squeezing seems to sort it out :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77