Homes

crafty

Jun 26, 2010
Yorkshire
Hi everyone,
Things are going down hill here Our Dad has been messing with electric light switches now taking wires out, but of course it was somebody else not him. Then my Sister and i were at Dads last Friday night as normal to do his tea and meds. He kept saying "i am going i need to find the motorway" so we said OK Dad if thats what you have to do you do it, 4 times he went outside and came back in he didn't know how to get off his street so we told him which way to go, we needed to see for ourselves if he really was going out on a night as several of the neighbours have said he is wandering on a night.Well off he went again we watched him pass the window and we locked the bungalow up and off we went. If the police had seen us we would of been arrested, my Sister and i were hiding behind bushes and cars following Dad from a little distance to see how far Dad was prepared to go.We live in a village and when you come out of Dads street you come to the main road that leads you into the middle of the village if you turn right which Dad normally does he gets his self to my Sisters house or mine, if you turn left its all farmers fields and no path. Well this night as we were watching him he turned left. Our hearts were in our mouths so we started running after him he had seen head lights of cars and thought it was the motorway we managed to grab him just as he was stepping onto the road. So this brings me onto HOMES after that we both said right its gone to far now we are not prepared to wait for an incident to happen like the CPN suggested we would never forgive ourselves if anything happened to Dad.

Yesterday my Sister and i spent all day looking at homes in our area, well we had our eyes opened i can tell you.Two of the homes were diabolical, one home had a west wing and an east wing, the west wing was residential and was fantastic the reception was like walking into the Hilton Hotel, the East wing was for Dementia the lady said i have no rooms on that side as yet so there is no point in showing you i said but we would like to see it in case a room came up, she didn't really want to show us around but i insisted. Well i have never seen anything like it in my life, the RSPCA have better kennels for their dogs.My point is this how the H**L do these places stay open? Why do these people think "OH that person has Dementia they don't need to have nice furniture or nice carpets etc", "they don't need it to be kept clean they wont appreciate it" because thats just how it seemed to me. People with Dementia pay more money for their care and yet expect to live like animals in some of these Homes.Why are they allowed to get away with it? oh and there was a top up fee at this home as well.God this has really got my back up my blood is boiling.Why are there still homes like this in this day and age? How can this be stopped!
I am not saying all homes are like this we did find a lovely home but they had no rooms at the minute and they had no men in, they did take Dementia people but hadn't had any in up to now.
Tina xx

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
If you've seen a Care facility that you think really isn't up to the mark, please for everybody's sake report it (in writing, with a formal request for them to note the information and tell you what they propose to do with it). Clearly, you'd have to say what you'd seen and why you felt it was unacceptable.

At a guess, the right people to communicate with would be the local Social Services team and / or the Community Mental Health teams providing services for older people. Other TP contributors may have better ideas.

susana53

Mar 15, 2010
Littlehampton, West Sussex
Don't be put off by that one awful one. Go to this site, www.bettercaring.com and you can search for all the homes in your area and see reports from the inspectors. Some will have links to thier own websites too.
I would also advise that you report that home as they have a duty to provide a clean and caring environment.
Good luck in your search.

lorrainet

Sep 17, 2010
coventry
hi i so can relate to what you are saying about homes! my dad had to go into emergency respite in march a home which ss found. my mum had been rushed into hospital and this particular home was the only one available. at first glance it seemed ok and the carers seemed nice, 9 days later my dad was in hospital covered in pressure sores the home hadnt noticed!!!! he was never the same again and died 4 weeks ago. we are now at our 5th safeguarding meeting and although the homes records have been altered ss and i are having trouble proving it. i am so angry. i really know how you are feeling it is not acceptable where is the care? x x x