Should we classify dementia as an illness?

Should Dementia be Classed as an Illness??

• Yes

Votes: 57 93.4%
  • No

Votes: 4 6.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
There are so many ways in which we could deal with the question of whether or not dementia is an illness.

Edited to add: see post 48 for my reasons for trying to create a poll!!

Last edited:

eileenread

Jul 7, 2009
essex
JPG1

I would classify it as an illness if something is disturbing the balance of the brain then that is an illness. Lewy Body Dementia sufferers are generally given an antipsychotic drug as is the case of my FIL this same drug is used to treat Bipolar (an illness) and schizoprenia (an illess). What is the difference? If someone had a tumour growing in their brain causing a disturbance then that is an illness. I would like someone the medical profession to explain to me the difference.

eileenread

Jul 7, 2009
essex
I think JPG1 has brought this up because of my thread concerning CHC. In my FIL case social workers informed us that my father did not have a health condition but merely care needs, and therefore did not warrant CHC which is the difference between funding and non funding. If every other illness you care to mention warrants CHC then why doesnt Dementia?

muse

May 27, 2008
Cambridge
Oh, I see. it's about the classification for funding. That's another issue that escapes me entirely. Yes,I too would like to hear from the health professionals what exactly it is if not an illness. But I suspect that all health professionals in caring roles would agree with us. It's just budget holders (accountants) who have their own dictionary.

Love to you all - Kathy

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Phew!!!!

What I've been trying to do is to create a TP POLL, as to whether dementia is an illness or not. With only two options: YES or NO.

Nothing to do with funding, but all to do with whether or not Dementia is an illness, and so it should - or should not - be acknowledged as such. And the appropriate services should be provided - or not, depending on the outcome of the POLL THAT I CAN'T CREATE!!

I have a c r a p = NON-EXISTENT Broadband connection at the moment, also known as s Service Outage - which has been ongoing for the last week here ... - so it takes me anything between 5 and 65 minutes to post just one post at the moment.

So if anyone can create a POLL on my behalf with those same two options, then .... I'll be grateful.

scared daughter

Account Closed
May 3, 2010
Wow I didn't realise there was anyone saying Alzhiemrs wasn't an illness. Very worrying people ar happy to reclassify on funding grounds alone though - I am voting for illness, with care impacts as other illnesses do. Sorry I can't set upt he vote I am lucky to even log in here at the moment!

muse

May 27, 2008
Cambridge
I'm voting for illness (truly don't know what else it could be).

If some people can get to the age of 90 and beyond without dementia (any of its forms, symptoms or names)then there's no way it can be justified as just normal old age in somebody who's, say, 60. In addition, there are demonstrable signs of changes in the brain (scans). There are recognised mental illnesses like stress, depression, ME (which can have similar symptoms) as long as the sufferer is younger than 65??? After that it's a social desease????

The economic equation seems to stop once you're past retirement age. I've learnt the term "soapbox" on this forum. So I'll stop myself here and get off it. But definitely vote for illness.

Kathy

simonmonty

Nov 22, 2008
Yorkshire
That's like saying is cancer an illness.:confused:
I just wish people would stop treating people with dementia like they had the plague :(

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Dear Mod-of-the-Day or Night

Please merge this thread with the other one I started .... you will find a way!

And then, if one of you can find a way to do so, please start on my behalf a POLL as to whether or not Dementia should be classified as an illness. Only two options YES or NO.

Thank you, and I may one day praise my Broadband supplier - but only if I get to connect for more than 5 minutes at a time. Thanks to their Service Outage!!! Which has taken a week for them to acknowledge even exists, .... ... ... just like Dementia I guess, so if the virtual world can't connect with their own technological genius, then why should someone with a Dementia be required to connect. Dunno. You tell me.

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Hi Jpg,
I sympathise with your broadband problem. My answer is YES.
I don't want to take over your Poll but will help in any way I can.

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Hello

Illness : Unhealthy condition of body. Quote: Oxford Dictionary

Is dementia classed as unhealthy condition of body ?

Barb