Art student advice

rebecca.a

Sep 17, 2010
derbyshire
Hello
I am an art student at Chesterfield College and i have been asked to produce a piece of art work to be displayed in the local hospitals (Walton) new metal health ward. the ward looks after a lot of elderly people who have Alzheimer’s. I am honoured to have been asked to be a part of this task and want to do it well.
I was just wondering if anybody could offer any advice as to what could be suitable. It has to be a 2D illustrated piece.
My college took me to visit the new ward to get a feel for the environment and for advice on the routines and activates that go on in the ward. I am aware that a lot of the wards occupants suffer with anxiety, memory loss and hallucinations so of course I must approach my final out come with care and thorough research. The walls at the moment are a very light mint green and very bare and although very light and airy seem very clinical. i want to do a fairly large piece that has certain calming colours and imagery. is there anybody carers or otherwise that could give me any advice.
Thank you for taking the time to read my post
Hope to hear from someone soon
Rebecca Armstrong

JackMac

Jun 26, 2010
west midlands
Hi Rebecca

I just had to reply to you as I think its lovely you have taken the time to ask here instead of just painting anything.

Firstly I would ask advice from the staff as they know the types of patients best of all.

I would imagine something like a scenic countryside painting would be nice and relaxing for people with anxiety to look at. I know my mum appreciates being on a daytrip when the scenery is lovely English countryside with a blue sky and maybe even some animals.

It's quite hard to say really for sure.
would love to see what you do in the end!

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
What a challenge, I hope you enjoy it!
I would suggest something without people in it because my mum (and i think quite a lot of others) have problems with imagining that people on the tv are in the room with them and real, so some sort of scenery.

Have you thought of asking them what sort of pictures they like?

My mother was an artist and liked trees and plants and birds, though some people are bird phobic.

Now she enjoys what she sees in her mind and gets most pleasure from puppies and kittens that she imagines.

She is confused by reflections and shiny things.

As an off the top of my head idea, would a few shop windows with interesting things from times gone by which might be familiar be suitable? the patients probably miss shops, and it gives very free range to be imaginative.

What an interesting topic, I will be thinking about it all evening now.

love

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Hello, Rebecca

And, as one says, welcome to Talking Point.

I’m afraid I can’t help you with Alzheimer’s, because I have personal experience of Vascular Dementia only. So my starting point for your project would be to invite you perhaps to concentrate on Dementia, rather than on Alzheimer’s. And there is an enormous difference between the two – in the same way that there is a massive difference between each and every experience of dementia, and between the experiences of every single person caring for/about people with dementia.

Dementia doesn’t only stick itself to the ‘elderly’ – very often it grabs younger people by the throat too, and whisks them off into another experience of living. Don’t dwell on the elderly – introduce the younger age group too.

The ‘walls’ could be purple, tinged with orange or blue and striped along the way, with any single ‘designed’ image introduced – but they won’t necessarily be of a relevant/single iota of importance to a dementia-connected person, be that a person diagnosed with dementia or his/her family/friends/supporters. The colour of the walls becomes totally irrelevant and inconsequential, the longer you work your way through the corridors of dementia. There may be a personal clue there, in my use of the word corridors, for you to include the long and winding road of dementia.

The Corridors of Dementia, with turning points, with corners with unexpected obstacles along the way. Then, suddenly you come to meet a brick wall. The indescribable, indestructible brick wall of dementia. Call it support services, call it support, call it the plea for HELP– call it the intransigence of those who are charged with providing it. But it’s still a brick wall, that each and every person has to breach in their own personal way. Even though the fortunate ones never ever ever meet the Brick Wall of Dementia. They are the truly fortunate ones.

I see suddenly a ‘moderately young/old’ image, with a personage-figure clinging to the top of the wall – by the fingertips. Any idea what that image may be?

Alongside the above, I wish you well – be brave; be outrageous if need be; demolish a few of the brick walls of dementia along the way; think positive; think of the fact that tomorrow it could be you or your own closely-connected-people.

Best wishes and good luck to you. Please let us all know how you make progress in your dementia-connected world. That’s what we are all striving for too .... so we’ll look forward to being able to see you there, when you achieve your own particular mark in and on the world of dementia.

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Rebecca, hi
Oh what a wonderful and frightening commission for you, when you say 2d does that mean behind glass or can you make a touchy feely installation, tactile senses are so personal and can add so much for people who's visual sense might be dislodged by their brain function.
Have fun with the project and good luck.
Kind regards, JO

rebecca.a

Sep 17, 2010
derbyshire
Thank you so much for all your responses. I truly appreciate them all. I am going to do some research into the various types of dementia to gain a better understanding of it.
I of course will keep you updated of any progress and I hope, if alright may ask for any opinions on ideas I have. I was also thinking of researching colour symbolism, what colours are calming etc. my piece has to be 2d and behind a Perspex case as it must be able to be able to be cleaned. We can use any media, fabric, paint, etc.
I will give Walton hospital a call and see if the staff can give me any advice on the personalities, likes dislikes of the patients (although I know all will be different) it’s really going to be a challenge but I want to really give this project my best shot, I understand it is a sensitive subject and but I feel that if I can come up with a really good piece then maybe it will brighten up someone’s day or give them something to talk about.

Thanks again
Please stay in touch
Becca x

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Hi Rebecca,
I was once an art student and you are very lucky to have been assigned this challenge. Don't be overwhelmed by the complexity of your audience. Your commission is to create something from your heart and soul that is a gift for your audience. You can only give yourself and your own experience of what uplifts you and your family and people you have personally known, because that is the honest way of expression.
Hope this helps.
Best wishes and do let us see your artwork when it is finished.
Jancis

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
Hi Rebecca,
What a wonderful project - and its great that you are researching ideas before beginning. My mum has mixed Alzheimers/Vascular Dementia and is in a care home where there are paintings and wall hangings around the corridors. Some she likes and some she definately doesn't like. Anything in dark colours, abstract where you can see faces or what could be faces she hates.

There are some wall coverings which are almost rug like in texture, of a puppy and a kitten which she loves to touch as she walks past.

She often comments on a piece of furniture which has a nice grain to the wood too. And always runs her hand along an ornamental basket whenever she passes it. I suppose texture is important to her.

She likes flowers, cute animals, babies and children so fairly child-like things to look at.

Lots of luck with your project. I look forward to hearing how you get on.
Regards,
Gill

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
wow what a brill project i suffer from vascular dementia i am in early stage and very arty and creative my first thought was of the sea as a 2D waved effect with sparkly bits on the top of the waves blue sky and sandy beach with shells and possibly rocks - warmimg but soothing whatever you choise to do just ket your joy and love and life e reflected in it keep us posted

sarah

Willowgill

Mar 29, 2008
South Yorkshire
Hi Rebecca what a wonderful opportunity for you and something to put in your portfolio and on your CV for the future. Will you be doing the artwork actually 'in situ' or is it something which will be hung once it's finished and will yours be the only piece in there? As it's the mental health ward I would imagine there are patients there other than those with Alzheimers but it is also a great opportunity to learn about dementia and the families it affects. I love crafting but am hopeless at art so admire those who can paint. As has already been pointed out there are so many different ideas you could use so spending some time with the staff and in the ward before you start your project and asking what to include and exclude would probably be the best way to start. Whatever you end up doing I'm sure it will be appreciated by both patients and staff so good luck. I hope we get to see the finished picture. :)

griff

Mar 17, 2010
north london
Hi Rebecca

well done on being asked to produce some work for walton hospital . I had to reply to your thread as my mum was in melbourne ward (mental health unit ) for a while before I brought her to London. The staff were amazing there and looked after mum so well.
I think a painting of the wonderfull derbyshire countryside would be lovely.
Good luck with the project
xx

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
I can only speak for my mum and she would like a woodland walk mural with blue sky and fluffy clouds, green trees, etc.

She also likes famous pictures of film stars - the Marilyn Monroe one, the Queen, she can instantly recognise these iconic pictures and they distract her from the everyday struggle to recall where she is and what she is meant to be doing!

x

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Rebecca,

Firstly, I've moved your post to the Researchers, Students and Professionals section for now, hope that is OK.

It sounds like a fascinating project and I think your idea about researching visual perceptions is a very good approach before you spend all that time with brush in hand.
Research shows that some people with dementia are uncomfortable with darker colours for example, particularly black.

You may find this factsheet about visuoperceptual difficulties in people with dementia useful.

http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scrip...ategoryID=200137&documentID=1408&pageNumber=1

Kind Regards
Craig

sunny

Sep 1, 2006
Great, I think English scenery (seaside or countryside) so that there are distant views- it is calming and also as they are indoors they can enjoy looking outdoors and give them a pleasant outlook.

I would avoid putting people/animals in the piece because this could be misconstrued by people with dementia as people/animals watching them and they could become very uneasy about this.

pgee

May 19, 2010
London
Hi Rebecca
I have some poetry regarding alzheimers in the lounge. It may need a bit of reading between the lines. If you want to use any of it, maybe with some accompanying artwork then you can be my guest.
Good Luck,
Paul

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
What an exciting and challenging project for you.

My thoughts are that anyone suffering with dementia, and also their visiting carers, need to feel relaxed and secure. For me relaxation means something gentle and soothing, so coming to mind now are: bubbles, sea, countryside, waterfalls.

I hope you can keep us updated on your progress with this.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathy T