weigh losst

anti

Jul 14, 2010
northumberland
hi new to tp my husband was diagnosed 3y agoat 60 on aricept but has lost 3/4stone in 5months has anyone else had this much ppreciated

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi and welcome. My husband was on Aricept for around 8 years. He is on another drug now. I would say that his appetite has decreased over these years and he doesn't often finish a meal. He hasn't lost weight though as he eats biscuits as if they are going out of fashion!!

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello anti

My husband has also lost quite a lot of weight. He was diagnosed 5 years ago and he weight was stable until this year when he lost 2 stones.

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
hi Anti welcome to TP my mum is on aricept and she has lost weight even though she eats well she has MND as well so not sure if thats whats causing it larivy

climb_mountains

Dec 22, 2008
Dorset
Hey there.

I'm not sure if its related to the alzheimers illness or a seperate mediacal issue but my dad has VERY little appetite. He has certainly developed a sweet tooth, but eats very small ammounts. It got to a point that he dropped to about 9 stone (he is 5'11"). Fortunately he is putting some of the weight back on.

His GP prescribed some high calorie drinks (milkshakes I think- their name escapes me now, but I can find out)and they seem to help.

This all happened within the last 2 years since he was diagnosed so I'm not sure whether there is a similarity in terms of onset. However at 58 years old, he is of a similar age to your husband.

Tony

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
My husband too has lost weight and the consultant told us that it is very common and not really known why as in my husbands case he has a very healthy appetite. Luckily he is still just in the range for his height but at the lowest end another 5 lbs will make him underweight.

nicetotalk

Sep 22, 2006
stretford
The same thing happend to my mum she was eating 3 meals a day and the weight just fell of her. We were told that the body no longer takes in the nutrientsx

lucky

Apr 29, 2010
cheshire
weight loss

Hi anti my mum is also om aricept and i have noticed a slight weight loss and her appetite isn't good but not sure if this is because of the tablets or th fact she doesn't seem as motivated anymore and sometimes can't be bothered to make meals :(

Lucky

anti

Jul 14, 2010
northumberland
weight loss

hi anti here husband still losing weight about 4stone up to now in 6months very unsteady on his feet blood cerculation to hands and feet not getting insulated anyone else had this

ultquest

Jul 17, 2010
Hi there

I have taken Aricept (and Namenda) for about 18 months - don't know whether its the drugs or the Alzheimers but my taste for foods had really changed - now can't eat chicken, salmon, ham, pork which I used to enjoy. So I have lost a few pounds cos its hard to think of nice things to eat
Don

ringo

Apr 15, 2010
staffordshire
anti, my dad has lost some weight but not a vast amount and the last year his appetite is very good! He suffers with his circulation feet and hands cold but now it is going further up the legs and he says all the time that he is cold

miss cool

Jul 20, 2010
taunton
Hi just a thought the food thing is strange,i wonder if it part of the illness, becouse some days i eat vast amounts others days nun,then ther are days when i just forget?????? Thats it realy. love Miss Cool xxxx