Any Ideas What I Can Give Mum to Do?

VivC

Jul 8, 2010
Devon
Mum is 90 and has AD. She has been living with us now for 1 month. Although I am at home all the time - I work from home - I cannot spend all day keeping her amused.

She is constantly asking me what she can do. She can manage to do a bit of ironing although she doesn't like to do it more than every 3-4 days for an hour or so. She can use the carpet sweeper, but that's about it. If I let her do the washing-up we will all have food poisoning within a week. One of the reasons why we moved her out of sheltered accommodation was that she wasn't eating or drinking properly as she can't use the cooker or even the kettle most of the time. She isn't sociable and won't mix with anyone other than "family". I am awaiting a referral for her to go to a day centre once a week, but I doubt she will go.

Does anyone have any ideas as this is driving me crazy. I can't get on with my work because of the constant interruptions.

steeevy

Jun 20, 2010
Wakefield
dont really know what to suggest,we tried everything with mam,but she wont do ANYTHING,she doesnt even watch tv,she just sits and stares at the wall!!(when shes not tormenting us on the phone 30 times a day):rolleyes:
She goes to a day centre every week,but 10 mins after getting home,shes forgotten she went!!!

Last edited:

Nanak

Mar 25, 2010
Brisbane Australia
Do you have any photos she can sort through (or would she then keep interrupting to show them to you?)
Can she do simple puzzles, or jigsaws?
Look through recipe books for ideas for dinner? Then transfer those recipes into a scrapbook (either through cutting them out or writing them down)?
These may all be things you have tried already or things that won't work, but I will keep my thinking cap on!
I'm sure others will be along with much more ideas than me!
Nanak
missing what is gone and scared of what is to come

VivC

Jul 8, 2010
Devon
Mum doesn't even recognise herself in photos most of the time so I go through the photo album with her sometimes telling her who people are, but it's not something she could do on her own.

I will try the recipe idea as we have a stack of magazines with recipes in them that she could look at. She does watch tv but only in the evenings. If I switch it on for her during the day she just turns it off again.

Thanks for the suggestions.

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
ideas

Hi viv I may be way out here but what about big colouring books and chunky wax crayons. she cd decorate her room with them to give her a reason to do it. (Sorry, the pictures not the crayons!) Good luck Chris

Last edited:

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
Hi,
Do you have a pile of napkins or tea towels that she could fold (even if you don't need them folding!!) Or something that could be sorted eg. mixed colours that could be sorted into individual colours; socks into pairs etc.

I haven't tried this myself with my mum as she is in a care home, but have heard of this type of activity being popular with some people.
Best of luck,
love Gill x

VivC

Jul 8, 2010
Devon
Hi,
Do you have a pile of napkins or tea towels that she could fold (even if you don't need them folding!!) Or something that could be sorted eg. mixed colours that could be sorted into individual colours; socks into pairs etc.

I haven't tried this myself with my mum as she is in a care home, but have heard of this type of activity being popular with some people.
Best of luck,
love Gill x

I gave her some socks to pair the other day and I was going to take a photo of them as I think her 'pairing' summed up AD exactly. She paired up one sock with 5 others (all odd) all tucked inside it so it looked like a 5-legged octopus!

It did keep her busy for a while though!

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
How about helping you by sorting things. Box of buttons you need sorting into colours, ribbons, drawer that needs sorted, all very "important" things to help you with.

Could you print of a pile of "letters" on some paper and get her to envelope stuff for you?

Pile of index cards to put people's names and addresses on out of the address book.

Could she go look for pens around the house for you because everyone has taken yours out of the office?

Do you have any presents that need wrapping - boxes - wrapping paper - keep occupied for ages..

Fiona

MJW

Sep 24, 2009
East Sussex
Would she like sewing buttons on to fabric, or hemming a piece of fabric? Perhaps sorting out buttons into different sizes or colours?

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Have you thought of a rumage box that contain things of interesting shapes that can't be eaten?

Mum can't watch TV as she has no idea what is going on.

SueP

Jul 6, 2010
Hampshire
Does your Mum watch TV at all? I bought my Mum a cheap box set of DVD's which consisted of the old musicals. South Pacific. Oklohoma, State Fair and Carousel. She absolutely loves them and remembers all the songs and sings along to them. Even I enjoy them when I'm there.

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
still thinking

My mum used to like doing wordsearch. when she got fed up of that she used to wander around saying what can i do and when something was suggested she'd do it for a few minutes then start wandering round again. So cant help but i keep trying :D Chris

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
How about one of the those kids sticker books where put the sticker over the shape printed in the book or is that just asking for trouble?

imac.girll1

Feb 20, 2009
Glasgow
How about one of the those kids sticker books where put the sticker over the shape printed in the book or is that just asking for trouble?

Sorry I know the subject isn't laughable but that made me smile Lemony:D I have visions of the family pets covered in stickers of themselves, cats on cats, dogs on dogs etc etc, god help the goldfish!!!!

Sorry just made me smile!

serena

Jul 17, 2010
Hampshire
Ideas What I Can Give Mum to Do

Hi

This is a tricky one, most of things I have tried with Mum, already mentioned in one guise or another but here goes anyway:

Colouring in kids colouring books with very chunky coloured felt tips

Kids Sticker books with loads of stickers (can find good ones in Staples)

Stickers used on pieces of card - useful for pretend/real cards for people - useful if near a birthday or Xmas.

Drying up dishes (if can supervise)

Very large kids jig-saws - big pieces, big pictures

Glossy magazines to flick through, pictures of animals seemed to work for Mum

TV at any time, specially if a good film is on

Radio playing, either music (calming) or some conversation

Puzzle books, as long as very straightforward - things like drawing round a maze, joining up dots to make picture, that type of thing

Sorting balls of wool into a basket

If able to get out during the day a very short walk to the paper shop.

I have found Mum gets bored and maximum stimulation is best for her with as much variety as possible.

Very best of luck

Love and Light, Serena

VivC

Jul 8, 2010
Devon
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I am going to go out and get some craft kits/stickers etc. tomorrow and will let you know how I get on. Hopefully she won't stick them on the cat :)

At the moment she is emptying the dishwasher and putting things away - I haven't heard any crashes yet so that's a good sign.

Splat88

Jul 13, 2005
Essex
I find scraping new potatoes is a good one, its a job I hate doing myself! I do have to tidy them up a fair bit, and peeling them is good too.

I can imagine MIL's reaction to the colouring and large scale jigsaws, she thinks I treat her like a child as it is!!!

PostTenebrasLux

Mar 16, 2010
London & Oxford
Hello Viv,

Probably your Mother would be familiar with knitting or crocheting squares (for the soldiers) to make [patchwork] blankets. A medium-sized square at a time is as big as she could probably comfortably handle and as each one is finished, the purpose would be to keep her engaged in making the next one. All her last efforts could be summed up in a blanket that will keep you warm and remind you of your mum one day when you'll be alone. You might need to help her (or someone in a haberdashery department) get her rows started.

Another one is related to being house-proud: polishing silver/copper (cotton mitts on, sitting at a table covered with newspaper, wearing an apron and using her strength - end result does not matter, but occupation worth the effort!

Good luck :)
Martina