Walking Away

SusanB

Jan 15, 2008
Hove
I'm considering doing this just to see what happens:

Mum's dementia has increased enormously over the last 2 weeks (delusions etc) and the CPN has suggested that there may be a UTI and that her GP should check it out. So...I organised an appt (first available) with the GP next Tues.

However, I'm planning on not doing this - literally walking away and seeing what happens.

1. Appointment with GP - I take her, talk to him about what's wrong. Meanwhile, there's this bleating noise in the background, "I can manage, I can manage"

2. A test is done regarding a UTI - how long for the results? They let me know the result.

3. He prescribes an antibiotic (two-three days later?).

4. I pick up the prescription? (there seems to be a problem with GP/hosp/pharmacy communication regarding tablets - two mistakes so far this year)

5. Clutching the prescription, I take it to the pharmacy and advise him regarding, say, a four times daily dose.

6. I liaise with social services regarding two extra calls per day, for funding reasons. They liaise with the care agency.

7. I talk to the care agency about going in four times per day, as opposed to two and then I have to confirm it by email.

8. I confirm with the care agency AGAIN, as somehow...the message/update hasn't been put on their system.

9. I check when the tablet will be available, making sure that the packet is delivered to the safe via the key box.

10. I talk to the care agency AGAIN, as somehow...the message has not been communicated to the carers

11. I advise everyone, let my family know, check, double check, confirm.

12. I advise the care agency when they go back to 2 visits per day after the completion of the dose.

NO.

...I'M NOT DOING IT.

Last edited:

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Don't blame you....

How terribly complex things become at times like this. One would think a simple call to the district nurses or something would sort it out. It sounds evil but I can see why you would want to just let things ride. I can't advise but if things got to the point of your Mum needing hospital treatment would that make things even harder?

SusanB

Jan 15, 2008
Hove
It may force the issue, Bristolbelle. I've just had an email from the main contact at the psych. dept saying that after a visit, although Mum seems a little more confused, she's well...OK in her opinion. Well, of course she seems OK. She presents well and is nowhere near as bad as many of the patient's on the hospital's radar, it's just a question of scale, surely.

BTW, this lady is excellent, calm and well-informed. I wish I was more like her!

She's not OK. I'm not OK, I have a major job interview tomorrow and my Mum is my full-time job. Not OK.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Do what you have to Susan. If you have to work, you cannot take full responsibility for your mother.