Getting pressure to find a home

mandyp

Oct 20, 2004
Glasgow
Hi

Mum has been in the hospital since March. On Wednesday the hospital told Dad that once funding came through he had 4 days to find Mum a permanent home (this was the first time he'd been told about this). They said the hospital funding would stop.

Unfortunately Dad has been ill all week and on steroids for his chest and also has a trapped nerve and has been struggling to walk.

He tried to get the Social Worker yesterday and she called this morning to tell him that he needs to find somewhere as funding should be through next Friday so Mum has to be in a home by next Friday.

He had no idea this would happen so quickly. He's been unable to get hold of the CPN either. The SW is on holiday and only phoned this morning. Dad has gone into such a panic that he was physically sick while I was on the phone to him.

I just don't know what to do, can they put pressure like this on him? He wanted a chance to view a couple and check out Care Commission Reports.

He did phone a couple yesterday who said they can't do anything until Dad had confirmation of funding, which the SW told him about this morning.

I'm absolutely furious and wondered if this is a normal experience and if they can actually force him to choose somewhere in a week when he's in pain and barely fit enough to leave the house.

Thanks

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Mandy

It`s very cruel and unfair for this type of pressure to be put onto your father.

He cannot have been expected to make arrangements for a care home before funding was agreed and should be given some leeway now it has.

It`s all about bed blocking and target setting but is becoming almost an inhumane process.

Your mother cannot be turfed out with nowhere to go. But I`m not sure whether or not the SW could insist your mother went to a home selected by SS if your father does not make a move.

I suppose it depends whether or not your mother will be self funding.

Why don`t you phone the Helpline in Scotland.

robertjohnmills

Nov 16, 2008
Bexley in Kent nr London
Hospital has legal responsibility

Although the Hospital would like your mum out of the place in 4 days they have to ensure (a legal responsibility as duty of care)that a Care Plan is in place and that it is ready to start. I am virtually positive they cannot turf her out without this.

When my Partner was ill in Hospital they would not discharge until CPN, Social Worker, and all involved with his care were sure what was going to happen, otherwise he would have ended up being readmitted.

I would not be rushed by the Hospital and I would point out that you are in the process of organising with appropriate professionals. They should be liaising directly with them anyway!

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Mandy,

It's definitely not fair for this kind of pressure to be placed on your Dad.

For one thing, once you have found a home that you find acceptable, then the Manager of the Care Home must visit your Mum and carry out a full 'pre-admission assessment' at which you and/or your Dad must be able to be present. It's so that the care home knows all your Mum's needs and can assure you and your Dad that the home is suitable and able to meet your Mum's needs. That includes all needs.

And as Robert said, a full Care Plan must be put together, again with your input.

Part of the problem perhaps is about 'bed blocking' because the SS have to pay the hospital if they fail to assist discharge from hospital as soon as possible. But it's also the fact that the hospitals get paid twice over, if someone they've discharged early then gets re-admitted to hospital for similar problems. (In England, so may also be the case in Scotland.)

Even if you are self-funding, that pre-admission assessment must take place. Otherwise you may find the care home you choose and which is willing to take your Mum's money may not be suitable after all.

Your Dad should not be put under this kind of pressure. It's unreasonable of the hospital to do that. Perhaps you could have a chat with PALS at the hospital, or whatever your equivalent may be.

Good luck,

mandyp

Oct 20, 2004
Glasgow
Funding is apparently being granted, but we're not sure if it's by the SW or NHS.

Dad visited Mum this afternoon and the nurse said they can't force Mum out but she wants Dad to put her into the home she was in for respite (he hated it and it didn't do very well in it's care commission report). The nurse said he could then look for somewhere else and move Mum again.

I'm not happy about this either as I don't feel that constantly changing Mum's surroundings would be good for either her or Dad. I also wonder how easy it is to get her out of somewhere (without very good reason) if we put her in.

SW have had no contact with Dad while Mum has been in hospital until today, the woman really doesn't seem to be very good and has provided no support at all but I suppose we won't need to see her again once Mum is in full time care.

Thanks for all the replies, I will check this out further.

I'm just appalled in the attitudes to this, it really doesn't feel very 'caring'. Apparently it's all because Mum is under 65.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77