Grief is getting worse and I dont know how to cope

steve58

Jun 5, 2009
Its a week ago today since my Moms Funeral. She died on the 27th April in terrible circumstances. She was in a Medical Ward which was not Dementia aware.
I am just not coping at all. Ive seen my GP but for the time being he said I have to go through the grieving process. But Im getting worse each day. I keep reliving the past 16 months with Moms rapid onset of Vascular Dementia and all the proceedures, the fear, the pain that she went through. I dont want to see a counseller, its too soon to talk about it for me personally. But I am just not functioning. I cant leave the house, I lie on the bed all day, dont have any real friends for support and I just dont know what to do. There are no words to express the miss of her and how I feel about the way she was treated and all the suffering she went through. The death was unexpected and I feel so shocked and ill, more and more each day. I look for answers but cant seem to find any. I feel so desperate

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m so sorry Steve.

Do you like music? Would it help to play some of your favourite music very quietly while you lie on your bed. It won`t turn the clock back but it might just calm your troubled mind. It might even send you to sleep.

alexyk295

Apr 28, 2009
Hi Steve,I am extremely sorry for your grief and cannot even begin to imagine how you feel.There are no words that anyone can say that will take away your pain,only you know where the answers that you need lie.But for now,you cannot ask the questions,understandably.In the meantime,you deal with your loss how you feel you need to,theres always someone on here to talk to when your ready.x take care

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Steve
so sorry that you having such a terrible time.
I have first hand knowledge of grief.
When my wife died I went to my GP,he prescribed a mild anti - depressant and that helped a lot.
You may think I being unsympathetic when I say you must go out,try to fill your days,busy yourself.Fresh air is good.
You will get through the grief,it's early days yet.
First move ask the doctor for help.
Keep in touch
Norman

steve58

Jun 5, 2009
Thank you both so much for your kindness. Its such new territory, I feel such a lost soul. I just dont know how people cope. My Moms death was so unexpected. Im still suffering from shock. I just dont know where to turn

AllyB

Mar 22, 2009
Steve

My father died on April 23rd.

He had Alzheimer's for 12 years, and life became very hard for him at the end.

So we seem to be in the same boat.

Keep making use of Talking Point. You are very eloquent in the way you express yourself in writing. I find it can be a real help to write things down. Even if you write in a notebook for yourself. All jumbled up at first maybe, but eventually you can make sense of what has happened and why you feel as you do, and begin to come to terms with it.

I am so sorry, and I know it hurts so much, but you can get through this.

Alison

donkey

Aug 16, 2009
sutton coldfield
hi steve , i have to agree with norman, you sound very depressed so anouther chat with the doctor might help. just take one day at a time and try to keep yourself busy sending you a hug love lyn xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
At least you recognize you are suffering from shock Steve, in addition to the grief. My husband has been ill for 11 years at least so I have been able to grow with it. When there is a rapid progression it must be such a shock to the system.
I`m sorry you have no one to turn to, but at least you can keep posting on TP. There is always someone here.
Love xx

steve58

Jun 5, 2009
Thank you Alex and Norman
Norman, Ive seen my Dr but its been complicated by already being on meds most of a year for the shock of Moms rapid dementia. Unfortunately , one of the side effects has been agorophobia.
I have to see my Dr in 2 weeks time, he is keeping an eye on me, but I just wish I could get relief. I have all the meds I would need to help, including Sleeping Tablets but I still cant sleep longer than a couple of hours. The days are so long

Heather777

Jul 24, 2008
Bristol
Steve, my thoughts are with you. We all grieve differently but I understand the stress of loss you feel. My mum died just over a year ago and I have real moments of loss that make me want to stay in bed and I can't believe life is going on for others. My dad is in end stage now and was only diagnosed 18 months ago. I suppose for me at least I had experienced my mums dementia so not all things are a shock with his rapid decline.

It might sound trite but you get through this and although you feel like you will be in this depth of despair for ever you won't. You will begin to function-not fully for me yet but a half hearted attempt that makes others think all is normal!

Don't be hard on yourself but think what you mum would have wanted for you now.

Take each day at a time and I agree that you need to try and get up and go out.

Heather

steve58

Jun 5, 2009
Alison, I am so sorry for your recent loss too. Its all such a terrible shock to the system. I have read so many posts on here that even when people try and prepare for the death of their loved one, it still can come as a great shock . My Moms death was so sudden. She had a seizure at home with the carer and the Hospital thought she had a fractured hip but the x-rays were too fuzzy, and to cut a long story short, the Consultant said he thought it was just badly bruised and she would have to have physio. She was due back home but within the space of 6 days she had developed Aspiration Pneumonia and died. The shock to my system has been enormous. We never expected her to die. She was in such great form. I just wish there was a magic pill to ease the pain
Stevex

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Dear Steve,

You sound so very low. Can you not bring your doctor's appointment forward? Two weeks sounds too long to me to be feeling as low in spirits as you clearly are at the moment. And may I echo Norman's advice earlier, that fresh air is good? Hopefully it would make you feel properly tired and you might then get more than just a couple of hours sleep at any one time. Do try and give it a go.

Thinking of you and sending love,
Nan XXX

donkey

Aug 16, 2009
sutton coldfield
steve i wish i could send you a magic pill but tp is here 24/7 for you so if you cant sleep come on here and be a night owl, its always good to chat and to get all those rotton feelings you have out in the open xx

steve58

Jun 5, 2009
Heather, I am so sorry about your Mom and that your Dad is in the final stages. I agree with you so much and find it hard to accept that life is still going on all around. I think thats one of the reasons I developed agorophobia. I just hate the thought of being around people who are or seem happy and are leading just a normal life. The past 16 months have been such a strain and so heartbreaking, that to finally end like this has made it so much worse. Mom was doing so well and nobody expected her to die. I know she would hate to see me like this.

steve58

Jun 5, 2009
Thank you Nan.
You are so right. Two weeks is a long time and I am very low.
Even though I have meds, nothing is working. I said to my only other living relative "how does he expect me to cope". Ive been very low when Mom was taken in hospital. I wrote my Dr a letter before the consultation telling him how bad I feel but it made no difference. I dont if its just my Dr or do most Drs find bereavement a difficult subject to treat. My Dr has been seeing me since the beginning of Moms Dementia so knows the impact the sudden death has had on me but he has really left me to my own devices to a certain extent. If it wasnt for my Aunt , I wouldnt have any food or any help at all as the death of Mom had rendered me completely unfunctional
Stevex

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
When were we last carefree?

Hi Steve,

I can't imagine what you're feeling and I'm so terribly sad that you're feeling it. I have experienced grief & loss in 2 ways over the past few years. One is gradual and painfully slow. The other was unexpected and fast. The former describes my dear mum who over the past 6 years has declined with her dimentia. She now doesn't speak. Her eyes are empty and sad, and we've lost her. I don't actually know how I'll feel when she dies, because she's already gone.

The latter describes my darling dad, who died 16 weeks after a diagnosis of terminal cancer. Much too quick. He died 6 months ago and we miss him beyond description.

I think that having time to prepare, in both cases, has been a side of loss that you haven't been allowed. Living with the agony of knowing your parent will soon be gone. Knowing that they know that too, is unbelievably painful. I sometimes wished dad could have died suddenly, without any prior knowledge. I was scared that HE was scared. I sometimes wish that we hadn't known because we never wanted to say goodbye. We always wanted to believe they'd made a mistake! Wonderfully in denial!

I used to look at everyone around me and wonder why not a SINGLE one of them seemed to have a problem. They all looked so carefree and I struggled to remember what that ever felt like. I hated them. Resented them. Almost felt superior to them. It was quite overwhelming, but it did pass. I have to be a part of the community and I'm thankful for those commitments that force me out there. It keeps perspective on life I suppose. I'm gradually learning that many of those people are suffering too, but, like me, just coping. None of us carry a sign saying what we're feeling but it's human nature to find a way to manage...and you will. I'm absolutely sure of it.

So I've gone through 2 losses. One for real, and one suspended in life. At times it could engulf me. But I'm a mum, a wife, a sister and people need to know I'm ok. I need to know that I'll be ok. So I do a lot of my coping for them as well as myself.

Do you have family or friends who are worried about you? Can you share what's keeping you awake with them? If so, I beg you to keep your mum's name alive in conversation with them. In time, laugh at memories, characteristics, funny things she would say. What would she say to you now, as you sit reading this message? Would she laugh, scoff, roll her eyes? Imagine she's watching and tell her you're angry that she went so fast. Then laugh at things she may have found funny! It just keeps the relationship alive, even though you're doing both halves of it!

Got to say that at my darkest times there was only one place to which I could turn, and it was this forum. The freedom to tap tap tap away manically on this keyboard. Not stopping to think or check grammar. Just pouring out EVERY feeling from the pit of my broken heart. It was SUCH therapy. From out of my head, off my shoulders, and reducing the pain in my soul. Those who read & respond to your messages will become your family, best friends, doctors and physcologists! And even if nobody replies, you'll be amazed at what a difference it makes just writing your feelings down. Ridding your head of the heavy weight. Do it before bedtime and you'll sleep better!

But...these are my experiences and I wish with all my heart that you may find the same, in time. You will cope. You will start to accept your loss and you will live again.

I'm really so so sorry for your sadness. It's funny because most, if not all, stories on this site are tinged with much sadness...yet it is the best site I've ever visited. I have found it so supportive I can't describe the medicine it provides. In a nutshell...take a daily dose of TP, and gentle exercise.

No GP will have learned this advice at medical school, but in time the talking, discussion, sharing of experience, offloading of thoughts & questions will lead you on a steady road to recovery.

Please keep in touch and don't prove me wrong! My dad would have called me a right softie for pouring out my emotions on here! He'd have said this new-fangled stuff (internet!) was no help! But dad wasn't always right. He was human and I loved him.

Time and talking will take you in the right direction. Stay with TP and update us soon. We're all here to support each other. You may be able to help others too which will give you strength in another way.

Take care, stay strong and take baby steps. There's no time limit on grief, but there is hope as the time passes.

Thinking of you, sincerely,

Annie

Fenners

May 5, 2010
Essex
Hi Steve, so so sorry you are feeling this way, i too know how you are feeling - my situation is almost exactly as Annie's is - and my goodness how well she has put everything down - the only difference is i lost my dad one year ago, and my mum can still communicate, but has become a different person - otherwise everything she has said, felt and thinks is just as i do - it could have been me writing it. I miss my dad every second of the day - the pain sometimes is almost unbearable, i long to ask him how im doing looking after mum, i just want to hear his voice, see him smile and laugh the way we used to, he was simply my hero, its coming up for his 1 yr anniversary on Monday - i just cant believe i have been without him for a whole year - i really havent been able to grieve for him because my time is taken up caring for mum, my family had to move in with her to look after her 24/7 - i am totally lost without the back up of my wonderful dad, he always made things better. Oh how i feel for you Steve, it is the most terrible feeling, i wish i could say something to make it better, to take away the pain, i know that i can't its something you have to work through in your own way in yr own time. I think Annie's post just really says everything (thank you Annie)-TP is great as she says - just offload - its great to just sit and type someone will always reply. Could you not ask your doctor for a home visit maybe ? he needs to know how bad you are feeling, try to think that your lovely, special mum will never really leave you, shes safely tucked up in your heart with a lifetime of wonderful memories to cherish - thats easy to say i know, but its not the same is it, sometimes even thinking about the good things you shared hurts so bad, i know because you just want them back, you want everything to be just as it was - me too - i want my dad here pottering in his garden, in the lovely warm sun, i want my lovely mum back, not to have this awful disease which is slowly taking her away from me, i want them both back with me and with each other, they were devoted to one another, but its not going to happen, so you just have to try very very hard to pick yourself up and go forward, its such early days yet for you, heres me a year on still missing dad every second, that will never go away, just gets a little easier. My heart goes out to you, as does my love and support - please please take care of yourself - its what your mum would want wouldnt she - big big hugs xxxxxxxxxxxxx