dot to dot

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Just to let you all know this is another things I have found Mum can just about cope with so long as you get the childrens version with no more than 20-30 "dots". Found a book that has both alphabet and number dot to dots it's really for 4-6 year olds (makes you realise how bad things are getting) but hey it's a few more hours of amusement. Might be an idea for some of you too. I have also though about those "magic painting" books where all you need is a wet paintbrush. Mum isn't quite ready for them yet but again may help others. I went to a toyshop and looked for ideas, one of the assistants was clearly very uneasy with the idea of an older person playing with toys, but another one came over and joined in then the both became totally enthused with the idea of helping. Stamp sets, copy and colour, fuzzy felts, etch a sketch, play-doh type toys, making vegetable characters, even potato printing was suggested. Will let you know how I get on with a few of them.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Think that's a brilliant idea,wish id thought of something like that when mum was in early 2 middle stages, far 2 late for her now but mum does adore her teddy.

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
What lovely ideas. Too late for us too, but you never know when you may have to use the ideas again do you.I might even try to do a dot to dot with my husband and see if he shows any interest.
We are looking through old photos at the moment, we are going to make a scrap book of his life.

mynyddisamrs

Feb 1, 2010
North Wales
Great ideas and worth a try. My mum can't manage the word search any more but I think dot to dot may be ok. I like the magic painting too and potato printing ... she may however say it's too babyish but I could say that we're doing birthday cards etc!!
Jig saws too are a problem and we really could do with a 50 piece but with adult picture!! I did see a website for puzzles especially for AD sufferes but they were very expensive. Keep looking and posting ideas folks!!

Just thinking

May 7, 2008
North west
Like the dot to dot idea. I agree that some things are perceived as childish by Mum so I have to be careful. I got a lovely colouring book of flowers and gardens which looked grown up entitled: 'Picture Perfect' - create your own stunning pictures which could be framed with card if you wanted and hung up. There was another of animals too. I bought ours in the local hospital shop for £1 (rrp on back £4.99!!) printed by IGLOO BOOKS LTD www.igloo-books.com

I've also thought about sewing cards that can be bought for children but might be a nice pastime for adults.

vdg

Aug 6, 2009
Hampshire
I recently got a pack of playing cards with beautiful adult style animal picures on.Four of each animal or bird. Mum and I play snap with these or find the pairs.The pictures are really nice and not child like at all and she enjoys trying to beat me.We used to use normal cards but now all the spots confuse her so plain simple pictures are ideal.
I have also just acquired a snakes and ladders set and have asked her to play with me "because no one else will".We are going to give this a try soon-will let you know how it goes!

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Ludo and build a beetle....

are two more games I have mentioned in the past, and Mum kind of copes with. How I long for a nice intense game of Scrabble, Upwords Boggle or other similar games.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Mum and I played Snakes and Ladders for quite a while. We also played Candyland. Candyland is a game my sister and I played a lot when we were kids & Mum would play it with us. We kept it up even as adults (bit of a scary thought there :eek:) so Mum didn't consider it 'babyish'.

daisydays

Jan 4, 2010
Snakes and ladders seems a very good idea. I can remember pestering dad when I was a child for him to play snakes and ladders, ludo or drafts with me. Think I will try pestering him again.

mynyddisamrs - There are quite a few companies on line that sell personalised jig-saws from your own photographs. The small ones are 20 pieces and next size 60 pieces and upwards....The ones I have looked at start at about £12.00 plus postage. I am thinking of having a couple made for dad.

Daisy x

gill@anchorage5

Apr 29, 2007
Southampton
Jig Saw Puzzles

I had exactly the same problem looking for simple jig-saws with adult pictures for Dad.

I found quite a lot on e-bay. If you search for Victory Wooden Puzzles, there is usually quite a good selection. The wooden pieces were quite easy to handle - these jigsaws were made in the 50's and 60's and have some lovely pictures.

Good luck with the search

Love

Gill x

mynyddisamrs

Feb 1, 2010
North Wales
Thanks Gill and Daisy for the info on Jig saws. I'll investigate further.At the moment Mums time seems to be spent packing up her bits and pieces for "When she goes home!" (Not) plus reading. It's nice to have things to hand though for when she's at a loose end.

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Jigsaws.....

Just had an idea.... why not make your own. You can get an enlargement of a favourite photo, put it on card and then either cut it into simple rectangles etc or even cut around items in the picture(rough outline) for a stencil effect. Hopefully if the picture is familiar to the person doing it that will help inspire them to complete it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp