local AS group ends

bigtom

Sep 19, 2009
bolton lancs
the local branch of alzeimers society here in bolton as ended.the couple who run the group feel they can no longer carry on with the new framework of the society after doing a great job for the last 28 years as volunteers with the new structure that will more work on the part- time workers and volunteers how many more groups round the country will go the same way and how much money be lost by the society for research. and when cheque books are fazed out how much donations will be lost by all charitys as a lot of people will not be happy to give by debit card were they would send a cheque:mad:

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
I recently took on the role of secretary of the local AS and then it disbanded! I was looking forward to being able to take a practical role.

If you want to be able to pay donations away securely, why not open a Charity Account with the Charities Aid Foundation (CAF).

You fund the account by standing order (or directly from your salary if your employer runs a payroll giving scheme). Either method is tax efficient - the former using Gift Aid and the latter tax relief at source.

You then pay away from your CAF cheque book or debit card.

It's 100% safe and secure and your donations can be anonymous if you choose.

If you want any more information, drop me a message.

I work for CAF and would gladly help.

Beverley

timthumb

Dec 6, 2009
west sussex
wow thats frightening that anything like that is closing down ..as i posted on another thread im just going to my first carers meeting at as..........i would be lost without the thought that there is somewhere local and being able to talk to someone face to face

dab1630

Feb 23, 2007
Kent
I would be fascinated to know just how many members of the many branch committees that are about to go out of existence are actually happy to continue working for the Society under the new regime.

I know for a fact that the Guernsey and Sunderland committees are splitting from the Society and continuing their work independently. I have also seen evidence in e-mails and on forums that the unhappiness is widespread throughout other Branches.

Many committee members have established a network of donors in their years of service to the Society, and I would anticipate a large number of these people will take their charity donations elsewhere.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
what is making existing members unhappy? Has the focus of the groups changed? Are people feeling like they are not being listened to? With these local groups there is nothing to stop independent networks springing up to fill the gap, but ideally the Society would establish what is going wrong and work to change things. Or am I being too idealistic?

dab1630

Feb 23, 2007
Kent
what is making existing members unhappy? Has the focus of the groups changed? Are people feeling like they are not being listened to? With these local groups there is nothing to stop independent networks springing up to fill the gap, but ideally the Society would establish what is going wrong and work to change things. Or am I being too idealistic?

The unhappiness is centred around the Committee members of the many branches that are due to close on or before April 1st. It has been as a result of the consultation process, or lack of one, that preceded the decision to disband the branches.

This unhappiness has been brought to the attention of the Society management, who do not seem to regard it as significant.

As far as I can tell, many of the membership are unaware of what is happening to their local committees.The publicity about the details of the management reorganisation has been minimal, so the first many people will know is when their local branches cease to exist.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
Is there any information on why the choice has been made to concentrate on something other than local groups? It's the AS that is disbanding certain groups?

This website reaches a certain number of people that a local group would not, however, there are many who would not want or know how to use a website and need to speak to people face to face. There should be several modes of access to information and support.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Gutted

Oh dear. Tom you have highlighted some of the concerns raised in the thread Sandy kindly provided the link to. It's only when the repercussions of management decisions hits grass roots - and most importantly 'service users' that decisions ratified in 'ivory towers' :mad:(sorry, but it makes me cross) realise their full impact.

I am so sorry - to think of 28 years voluntary service ended because people feel they cannot continue with a new framework (Framework was something you put a canvas on before businesses adopted it as management claptrap speak, non? :rolleyes: And my experience of charities over the last 10 years or more is that they are run 'like' businesses with Chief Execs often drawn from business and not social sectors).... the sheer waste of talent and resource and knowledge and goodness knows what else .... some charities don't realise they have been gelded with absolute gold-dust for years .....nor most sadly, what precious resource those precious resources have offered to others ....'Wood for trees' springs to mind.:mad:

Sorry, but it's hit a nerve (again):( Rant over.

Karen, x

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
And my experience of charities over the last 10 years or more is that they are run 'like' businesses with Chief Execs often drawn from business and not social sectors).... the sheer waste of talent and resource and knowledge and goodness knows what else .... some charities don't realise they have been gelded with absolute gold-dust for years .....nor most sadly, what precious resource those precious resources have offered to others ....'Wood for trees' springs to mind.:mad:

Sorry, but it's hit a nerve (again):( Rant over.

Karen, x

You're absolutely right Karen. I work in the charitable sector, and a lot of CEO's/FD's etc. are now drawn from the commerical sector (a hell of a lot from banking!). This is certainly the case where I work.

Whilst they may not have some of the 'softer' skills and the sector knowledge, many of them turn round struggling charities because they apply a more commercial-like approach.

It's a fine line between believing in the mission/purpose of the charity they work for, and applying their expertise to ensure that the charity functions as effectively as possible.

My jury is out on whether it's a curse or a blessing. All I can say for myself, is that I was in the commercial world, and now I apply all that knowledge an experience to my role in the charitable sector.

I work with corporate clients because that is where my experience is. Understanding their needs is key and if I hadn't worked in that arena myself, my job would be a lot harder to be effective at.

Beverley x

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
It's a fine line between believing in the mission/purpose of the charity they work for, and applying their expertise to ensure that the charity functions as effectively as possible.

The key is: Which function needs to be effective? Purchasing and accounting structures? Management reporting? Advertising, campaigning and revenues?

Sure, those have to be taken care of .... but the main functionality of a charitable organisation is to serve the members/service users who seek support from it (or to campaign to avoid the need for people to seek support from it) ... and it should start from the most individual level of need – ‘bottom up, not top-down’ as it was once known – but appears now to be an ethos terribly out-of-date!

I have confessed before to being a banker in a previous life! Shareholding companies, mutual organisations ..... the key word is stakeholders ..... commercially or otherwise ....

Who owns the greatest stake in a support group? In a local branch of any charity? Those who run it, or those who need it? That, to me, is the fundamental principle which is missing from this type of restructuring ..... and sadly replication of what is happening countrywide in other social areas .... with who else to fill the gaps? But that’s outside a CEO’s remit to worry about what is happening elsewhere beyond their organisation and take social responsibility for their ridiculous salary? :mad:

Karen, x

(Not personal, Beverley!:rolleyes::D)

bigtom

Sep 19, 2009
bolton lancs
thank-you for the replies, my main concern is that the people who turn up at one of our meetings to ask for advice and help can no longer do this as we always had a member of the admiral nurses service in attendance so now i can see more people coming to our local dementia support group, for advice, when normms visited last week he and elaine where very impressed by the group as it gave them an idea of what was wanted in torbay regards tom:)

dab1630

Feb 23, 2007
Kent
In theory, support groups should carry on as normal. Having said that, there is an intention to review all services and some may have to change if they do not comply with the Society rules and regulations. Admiral Nurses should not be affected at all as they are not a part of the Society and are ran by For Dementia, a completely different organisation.

What is likely to change is the people who run the Society sponsored groups, and those of us caring for this disease know how badly our loved ones respond to strangers.

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
The key is: Which function needs to be effective? Purchasing and accounting structures? Management reporting? Advertising, campaigning and revenues?

Sure, those have to be taken care of .... but the main functionality of a charitable organisation is to serve the members/service users who seek support from it (or to campaign to avoid the need for people to seek support from it) ... and it should start from the most individual level of need – ‘bottom up, not top-down’ as it was once known – but appears now to be an ethos terribly out-of-date!

I have confessed before to being a banker in a previous life! Shareholding companies, mutual organisations ..... the key word is stakeholders ..... commercially or otherwise ....

Who owns the greatest stake in a support group? In a local branch of any charity? Those who run it, or those who need it? That, to me, is the fundamental principle which is missing from this type of restructuring ..... and sadly replication of what is happening countrywide in other social areas .... with who else to fill the gaps? But that’s outside a CEO’s remit to worry about what is happening elsewhere beyond their organisation and take social responsibility for their ridiculous salary? :mad:

Karen, x

(Not personal, Beverley!:rolleyes::D)

Not taken personally. As I say, I am undecided on the +/- of bringing in CEO's etc. from the financia/commercial world.

I can see definate positives (driving revenue) and then, yes inevitably there are downsides.

What I have witnessed first hand (including myself) is people joining the charitable sector from commercial positions and taking a substantial pay cut in the process. That is not saying that top end salaries are 'fair'. To be honest, I think it would come as a shock to many men/women on the street to actually find out the expenditure (including salaries) of a charity vs the income!

You only have to spend 10 minutes looking at charities accounts on the Charity Commission's website to be shocked! Quite possibly if people looked, they may well never want to give again! Sadly, unless they are all run by volunteers, it's a necessary evil as I see it.

Beverley