Memory loss not first sign of AD??

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
That was interesting, Julie. It makes sense to me because before my mother exhibited memory loss, she certainly had visuospatial problems. She had a couple of fender-bender accidents years before she was diagnosed. I was in the car with her for one of them.

She also became much more easily irritated, which I think was due to her AD.

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
As I have only know mum for 3 years I spoke to Ian about this.. Mum was diagnosed in March 2007. Ian estimates it was in 2005 that she last did her craft activities and jigsaws?? I really must get my cross-stitch out!!

Love Julie xx

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
It is very interesting..thankyou Julie!

Eric also had a couple of prangs in the car the year before we realised that his memory was impaired...he also began to lose interest in golf the same year...presumably because he could no longer judge the distances. And his driving had become so erratic that it was more like a white knuckle ride...unable to judge the speed of other cars..where the kerb was...

By the time he was diagnosed he hadn't played a "proper" round of golf for almost a year.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Thank you for flagging this up Julie.

Certainly true in Lionel's case. His inability to read and interpret a map was one of our very first rows, some 6 years before diagnosis. I also stopped him driving two years prior to diagnosis - his spatial awareness was gone even then.

shelagh

Sep 28, 2009
Staffordshire
I was and is true for me. My memory is still phenomenal - I can still learn a poem in a day and remember it, but my spatial awareness has gone completely and anything to do with number, or operating machinery is a different matterand there is no way I can manage my medication. The brain is a strange thing.

Territa

Jan 10, 2008
Hi

My mum stopped baking. She could not get the measures right any more. This was followed by her crochet work, which was followed by being confused by money.

Terri

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
This was very interesting reading; I wonder if this also includes "abnormal" anxiety, even over trivial things?

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
There were two very trivial things which I and one of mum’s friends noted before securing mum’s diagnosis – they sound ‘daft’ – but they were little signs her behaviours had changed ...used teaspoons left on the drainer – this from a woman would wash up, wipe up, put away and polish the drainer after every cup of tea .... and the loo roll hanging the wrong way round from the holder :eek:– perhaps this was obsessional behaviour pre-dementia? :confused:

They were very small but very significant changes that there was a change in her .... goodness knows how many other signs I missed .....:(

Karen, x

vdg

Aug 6, 2009
Hampshire
I found that really interesting as my Mum was having unexplained falls a couple of years before anything else was obvious.She kept misjudging the kerbs when crossing the road.Also she started to have trouble with knitting patterns and jigsaws and crosswords.Things she had always done so easily before.The final thing that really alerted me to problems was her handling of money.She had always been a financial whizz but it became apparent she was making all sorts of errors ,then she got fixated with having enough cash on her to the point where she'd go to the bank and draw out hundreds of pounds and carry it around in her bag all the time.Very out of character for a woman who previously had been so very careful with money. She never could say where she'd got the money from or why she had it but would be obstinate and awkward about me trying to get her to put it back in the bank.It is a relief in a way to now be in charge of her finances [although it worries me too]
She still insists on having coins in her purse although she never goes anywhere alone so doesn't need it.At church when she puts her collection in she is convinced that paper money isn't worth anything and the bigger the coin the more it's worth.So sad seeing as she used to handle pay rolls for many shops in her hey day:(

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
With hindsight, I would say that the first indication that my dear MIL was going to fall victim to Alzheimer's was her total loss of her sense of smell. I think she was in about her late sixties then. She lived until 93, going into care in only about the last three or four years of her life, having been widowed some 20 years before.

Have found this thread very interesting. Had to smile at Gigi's "white knuckle ride" description, as this was how Brian was driving not long before his stroke in 2007 and I chose to drive us around instead, leaving him to drive when he took himself off to golf. Love, Nan XXX

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Interesting. Bill certainly started to show signs of being less able to DIY and practical things some time before diagnosis. I also know of a colleague whose mum and dad both had early onset. She said that one of the things with her dad was that she found out he was putting golf clubs in car and driving to golf club then eventually coming home because he didn't know what to do with clubs when he got there.