Mum's about to go into a care home and is very cross with me,

Simon99

Oct 16, 2009
Cheshire
Hi,

I'm a new member and not posted before. My Mum is 62 and was diagnised with early onset Alzheimer's 6 months ago. She has had sypmtoms for a couple of years but we had dificulty getting a diagnosis from the GP. She has been on Aricept but it has had no effect and she has declined quickly. I am 35 and live locally so have been the pimary carer, my sister lives in London and comes up often for weekends, my Dad died 8 yrs ago. My Mum lives alone and I have been having to visit more frequently as she has got worse - eventually going every day and often more than once a day which has been difficult to balance with work and my own life, especially as there has been redundancies this year and my job was 'at risk'.

Anyway, Mum was becoming very anxious and depressed at home, retreating from all her previous activities (she is a very active and social person). She wasn't eating properly and was breaking furniture and the telephone on a near daily basis, she also has a doll which she beleives is a child and clings to all the time and talks to. She often told me she was very unhappy at home and just wanted to die, other time though we went out for dinner and day trips and she was happy. She became especially depressed when the DVLA took her driving licence from her (she would still drive locally to the shops). After all my and my siter's visits she would become distressed when I left and phoned me and my sister constantly until she could no longer use the phone. She started to beome violent and hit my uncle once and more recently myself. A couple of weeks ago when I rushed round before work, when the phone was broken, I found her half dressed with the gas on and unlit and the electricity out bcause she had broken a plug socket. I knew then she could never be left alone at all.

Things all came to a head last Monday. I had taken Mum away to Chester for the weekend, which she really loved and we got on famously, surprising given the previous week. I stayed over on the Sunday night as I didn't think she could be left. I don't think she slept at all and came into my room every hour. On two occassions she was totally furious wth me, having thought I had injured her or tried to steal her money. She tried to throw me out of the house, grabbed me and tried to attack me and threatened to get a knife and kill herslef (I'm sure she wouldn't actually have done anything like this but she could have hurt herself in her rage). At one point I had to lock myself in the bathroom. The next day my sister was coming up anyway to visit a care home with me with the hope of getting Mum there somehoe that week - we couldn't even discuss it without her getting cross. In the morning I called the communuty pschiatric nurse and told her what happened in the night, thinking Mum needed medication to calm her down. While my sister and I were out the nurse called us to say that she was going to have Mum sectioned because she was a danger to herself and others. We had to wait around all day and talk to doctors and social workers. In the end Mum went willingly into the ambulance but I was taken away from the scene as I was so distressed.

Mum has now been in an assessment ward in hospital for 10 days and the nurses tell us that although she was undestandbly distressed when she first arrived she is now sleeping well and eating well and engaging with the patients and nurses. Now she feels safe she seems not to be anxious and is not in need of any more medication, although her mental faculties have declined drastically. She is going to move into the care home we found in a week's time and has been telling the nurses how happy she is about this and how worried she is about my sister and I. The manager of the home came to see Mum in hospital and talk about he rmoving there and she got on well with them and was very keen. Unfortunately every time I visit her (the hospital is 1 hrs drive away and I visit every other day) it is a different story. She tells me how unhappy she is there, how it was awful of us to put her in hospital, how she doesn't want to move into the home and how it is all our fault because we weren't there for her when she needed help. She is upset when we haven't been to see her (although I go often) but when I am there I make her distressed and she makes me upset and I don;t know if visits serve any purpose. She is so different with the staff and with me (and my sister and Auntie) and I don't know which is the true Mum or how she truly feels.

Sorry for the long e-mail but this is the first time I have shared this. I feel sad she is in there, guilty for not moving her directly into a home sooner and worried that she will always be cross with me and I won;t have my Mum again. I would be interested to hear from anyone that has gone through a similar situation and hear how they coped, and whether their parents ever forgave them when they went to a home and whether they were able to resume a loving relationship. I spent so much time with Mum and had a very close relationship and I am missing her and hope that we can be friends again.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Yours is such a sad post Simon and so typical of many who arrange residential care for a parent and need reassurance they are doing the right thing.
I don`t know whether your mother will forgive you or not. It will depend on her state of mind and whether she is able to make a rational or logical judgement.
But really you need to forgive yourself for it seems you had little choice.
So all you can do now is visit your mother as often as you can to let the home know she is loved, and you are concerned for her well being. Keep an eye on the way she is being cared for and be thankful she is safe.

Sadly loving relationships are sorely tested when dementia comes knocking at the door. I do hope your mother settles and you are able to resume a better relationship with her but if not, you have done your best and your best is good enough.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
None of this can be easy for you Simon. It must be hard not to feel guilty but you have to remember that all of what you do is for your mum's own good. Try not to beat yourself up about it - easy for me to say, I know. Take care. Izzy x

roundy

Jan 1, 2009
southport
hi.
I have not posted for a while but I saw your post and had to reply!
If anyone ever says to me that putting someone you love into a care home is the easy option,well, to put it mildly,I would disagree. As many of the tp members know,putting my mum into a nursing home at just 60 years old was the hardest thing I have ever done,it was awful and I was devastated. That was back in Feb and although it still hurts every day,my mum is safe and we have kept our very close relationship. I even took her on holiday last month. She has settled in ok,there have been some tricky times but I can honestly say,I am as much there for my lovely mum as I have always been. I told her a few white lies to get her in and even now when she asks to come home I tell her it will be a couple of weeks and then change the subject.
I still find its not about my mum forgiving me,its about my own guilt and I know she is in the best place and she is safe but that guilt still hangs over me.
As far as mum and me,we are as close as ever, we go for lunch once or twice a week,I take her shopping and I visit her every day,so try not to worry,your relationship should not change, your mum will just be in a different place.
Hope this helps.
Take Care.
Lisa.

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Choices....

Simn I feel so much for you and do not feel you have done anything you could have avoided. Something struck my in your post and that was that you mother has hit you and your uncle (bothn males) and yet had been quite pleasant to the manager of the care home etc. I wondered if she has a problem relating to males, I'm sure she has no reason to feel threatened, but maybe she does?
As for the guilt everything everyone else has said is true, you have to forgive yourself. If you look t my rcent post about going on holiday you will see my experience. We took Mum and to be honest it was very hard, and she was unhappy a lot of the time, when my son asked her if she enjoyed it three hours after we returned she insisted she had not been away. Many Alz sufferers live very much in the moment which can be both a blessing and a curse, but at least they do not carry the burden of guilt we have as carers when we make decisions for them that we can not be sure of.
I hope you mother settles well.

milly123

Mar 15, 2009
England
simon dont feel bad about your mum going into acare home you have done your duty that is making sure she is safe its so sad when somone is diagnosed with alzheimers and at a young age to .when somone gets aggressive it is the most terrible situatoin and lots of people on tp will understand what you have gone through im sure in time your mum will settle just keep up your visits and show her the love and care you always gave her best wishes milly

Snip

Mar 16, 2009
Hallo Simon....you're obviously a loving, caring son...I'm sure your mum is proud of you, deep in her heart where it counts.

I can understand that situation where your mum presents a different 'face' to people outside the family. My mum was often like that...when she was in hospital I would sometimes see her as I walked down the ward but she hadn't seen me - she was smiling and chatting with a nurse, calling them dear and sweetie. Once I had arrived she would instantly tell me how awful the nurses were and how she would commit suicide if I didn't get her out of there immediately. I think this response is partly a residual memory of being polite with strangers...but mostly seeing family as an extension of onself and so you can blurt things out without 'screening' them first. If anything, I tried to get comfort from the fact that she still knew I was the one she could be honest with!! Plus, I do think that sometimes she was happier without family around her...she didn't have the trigger of seeing us and having a vague feeling of a connection to a life she had lost:eek:

Just keep loving her, listening to her, hugging her.....push the difficult behaviour into a bin marked 'Alzheimers' and treasure the good moments.

Very best wishes to you and your lovely mum.

Snip x

kuda12

Oct 17, 2009
You have done your very best Simon because you know that your mother is safe. When people move into a residential they go through periods of being overwhelmed, onto adjusting and then they go into initial acceptance. Some people will move along the stages smoothly while others will see-saw through them, thats when you visit and she is in the best of moods. For instance, one may seem to be settling only to return to the overwhelmed stage. From your posting you have done very well. Keep the love and visits flowing.

MJW

Sep 24, 2009
East Sussex
You have done your best

Simon, you really have done your best and have nothing to feel guilty about or reproach yourself for: anyone reading your post can see that.

You are probably physically and emotionally exhausted, and need a break. I know you said you are under stress at work, but even a weekend away from your usual situation will make a huge difference. Do you have a good friend you could visit, who would be happy to let you sleep and potter about and take the pressure off for a day or two? Please take care of yourself and your own situation because although your mother may not be able to understand what his happening now or appreciate what you have done to help her, her "old self" would be horrified if she knew what she has put you through.

Simon99

Oct 16, 2009
Cheshire
Thanks for all your replies. Yes, in reply to the last one, I think I probably am in need of a break and will try and get away soemwehere once Mum is settled in the care home.

I realise that I have done all I can and had no choice so I don't feel guilty and can forgive myself. I guess what is troubling me is the fact that Mum doesn't see it that way. I know that's due to the illness but it still hurts, and worries me that I won't have a relationship with her again. I have just got back from going to the hospital today and she said "you have broken my heart, I have finished with you". When I visit she is good for the first 5-10 minutes and then gets cross. When I go it just seems to make her and me upset. Only once was she good the whole time I was there. I hope getting her in the home goes ok on Friday and she is different once she is in there. I wish I knew how to deal with her to stop her getting cross or calm her down when she does. Does anyone have any tips?

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
Hi Simon

What is it that makes your mum cross from being ok with you at first? Is it because she asks about going home or soemthing like that?

Have you said that it isn't your choice, but the doctors have insisted that she 'recuperate' - by transferring the blame to an authority figure it may be easier for you to continue as the good guy.

With my gran, she cannot process too far ahead, so saying she would be in her CH 'forever' was too much, so we started with 'for a week or two', and it grew to 'after your birthday' until she was settled enough to accept 'you decided to stay don't you remember?'.
Plus, perception of a CH beofre going there is very different to the reality when she is actually there (gran thinks she is in a hotel).

We have become adept at avoidance of potentially 'igniting' subjects (going home, sale of house etc), and are better at changing subjects (we each have a couple of pet subjects guaranteed to change course on a tricky conversation). Only once have I said I am leaving if she is rude to me, but I have cut short a visit (unknown to her) if I cant get her out of a 'down' conversational loop.

good luck

Last edited:

daisy99

Aug 30, 2009
Hi Simon

My dad was also sectioned (is now on interim CTO) and we have the same sort of situation - sometimes he's really really angry (but only infront of us and rarely infront of staff) and other times he's in a great mood albeit talking about delusions etc, like this evening. We struggle to find the right words as well, and more often that not it doesn't help. Just try not to disagree and refer questions about getting out etc to the Drs/Staff ie it's not your decision etc. You are doing the right thing and once settled, I'm sure the social aspect will help her and your visits will become a bit more manageable. It's hard visiting every day so be sure and take a day here or there as a break as you are no use to your mum if you are worn out. I think we've learnt that the hard way too. It's difficult to accept and sometimes you'll question if you've done the right thing but that's totally natural. Make sure you get support. We;ve really had to search for it and I have been highly disappointed and the lack of any joined up support mechanism at all. Get an advocacy worker, take a look at the carers council, we found them to be great. Also, maybe look at some of the training courses - my sis has recently started attending a Vocal one and found it great, sometimes they do ones on challenging behviour etc.

D

Simon99

Oct 16, 2009
Cheshire
Thanks guys. There really is no reason I can see that makes Mum go from being ok to cross. It is nothing patricular I say. I do say that it was the Doctor that put her in the hospital not us (which is true) but she still blames us and it is impossible to have a rational discussion. She is not opposed to the idea of moving to the home either. She calls it 'her new house' and asks if I have seen it yet but never talks about going back to her old house. The symptoms seems remarkably similar to other replies. I wonder if she spends her time looking forward to my visit and then when she realises I will be going soon she gets upset - she said "I am just going to be sitting here on my own until tomorrow now". I am going every other day now. Anyway, hopefully things will improve.

penguin629

Nov 9, 2008
Shropshire
You did the right thing

Hi Simon
I know exactly how you feel. Last Xmas my mum, my brother and I were in the exact same position as you. My Dad has AD and was obsessed with sweeping the road in the dark which as you can imagine was very dangerous. he had no thought to his own safety but was driven by a compulsion and if we tried to stop him then he would get aggressive. In the end my dad was sectioned too and I thank God I wasn't there to witness it. My brother stayed with my Mum and by all accounts it was horrific. It must have been extremely hard and you've come through it and I think you will need the strength for the next stage.

Fortunately for us my Dad has never really questioned what he was doing at the assessment unit. But my Mum feels incredibly guilty especially when she's low and the house feels very empty, and in a way that never leaves you because part of you wonders if you did the right thing and you question was it really as bad as that, could we have coped with my Dad if we'd changed our methods? But the other part could see an accident unfolding before our eyes and had we ignored it then we would have neglected my Dad. The guilt doesn't go away, it may lesen but you learn to live it with it.

There's a man in my dad's nursing home who walks a lot and normally is polite and chatty but last Friday after he'd answered my question on how he was, he became very agitated and swore like a trooper! My Mum says it's because his wife came to see him and he blames her for putting him in there. I don't think it will always be like that for her. He may be fixated on it when he sees her, but if he misses home, he may not ever recognise home again should she take him there. Lots of people ni my Dad's wing have a fixation. One lady hates men, one man used to count, one is forever calling out "nurse" . If you could ask your mum in years to come did she blame you for 'putting her in there', really what would she say? I bet she wouldn't blame you for one bit. My Dad wouldn't blame my Mum at all if he could see how his behaviour put him at risk and made my Mum ill. He loves her too much to ever blame her.

It would have been better for US if my Dad had stayed with us at home but not for him. The best thing for him is to be safe, warm, fed and content and that's what you have to focus on. it's early days for you and your mum and yes, she may be angry but she won't always be. And yes, you will be friends again.
Please stay strong, you will need that strength for what the future holds, none of it is easy. Be kind to yourself and take time out.

Let us know how you and your mum get on.

Joanne

Rubberduck

Sep 14, 2009
Simon,
Your experiences with your mum sound familiar in some ways to my mum and family but mum is not at the stage of moving out yet as she is still with dad. I can't imagine how it feels for you, moving her somewhere new, but I know you have had to be very brave, grit your teeth and do what's best for your mum, even though she doesn't agree. And also you have to do what's best for you too. I find that reminding myself that mum isn't my proper mum and she still loves me, does help sometimes. Your mum underneath does love you and would have suppoted your decisions if they had been made in another situation. Our mums have been swallowed up by this nasty disease and that seems to cover everything else over. I hope you can keep your strength up, I think you've done the right thing and as long as you know you are there for your mum, there is not much else can be asked of you. Take care, keep in touch. X

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Simon,
There will come a time when your mother will be settled in the home and she will stop being cross with you. No one can predict when that will happen, so in the meanwhile, please try to remember it's the disease talking and not your mother.

Jisuba

Mar 23, 2009
Near London UK
Hi Simon,
What a sad post, I really feel for you and completely understand.
My mum went into care in february in very similar circumstances to yours and the pain goes on unfortunately.

I read somewhere once that our loved one has gone and an imposter has taken their place and this is really what happens. I saw my mum yesterday (I go every other day) and she was fine and happy and well looked after, I, however, cried and cried and felt incredibly depressed. I can't bear to see my beautiful, elegent, clever mum reduced to a babbling baby in nappies.

My mum was my best friend and we could talk for days on end and never run out of conversation and now she cannot string two words together and I miss her soooo much it breaks my heart.

Your mum does not mean all the things she says Simon, it's best not to try to explain or respond to the negative things she does.
I just say to my mum 'oh, you look pretty today mum' or some similar compliment which she loves still.

I hope friday is not too bad - the staff will make sure your Mum is happy and content - it's YOU who will suffer the most on friday. Good luck Simon, let us know how you are.

lesley60

Jan 29, 2012
My mum's first week in a nursing home

Hi Simon,

I have just found your thread on Talking Point and wonder how your mum is doing. My mum has just completed her first week in a nursing home and your situation and what your mum was saying to you at the time is so similar to my mum, it's almost like her talking. I feel very sad, lonely and guilty at the moment at having to put her into a nursing home and am grasping at a positive light at the end of the tunnel, but in my heart I'm dreading that there really isn't one. Hoping to hear from you or anyone else in a similar situation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
middledaughteruk