nighttime incontinence

wendyviv

Jun 18, 2009
essex. frinton
Hi, I have written before regarding my husband Roy, my question is can anybody relate to the fact that, he gets up to go to toilet and I think when he gets to toilet he doesn't know what to do so just wets, comes back to bed, I change trousers and about an 1 hr later same thing happens again. Being as Roy does not think he has a problem, how do I get him to wear some kind of protect of a night, he is OK during the day, any ideas:eek::eek:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Is this a new sudden thing, or has it been coming on for a while? I was thinking if it had just started (and bearing in mind you say it's just an hour between loo visits) you should consider the possibility of a UTI (urinary tract infection). When you say he's OK during the day, do you mean he knows what to do during the day (unzipping etc) or that he doesn't have to go so frequently during the day (or, I suppose, both)?

wendyviv

Jun 18, 2009
essex. frinton
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY, yes he knows what to do during the day, it is only night time. I don't think it is a water infection because he has cranberry juice every day and he doesn't go to toilet much during the day love wendy:)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
IT might be confusion Wendy because your husband will be half asleep and half awake.
My husband is unable to aim in the right direction day or night but when he`s tired or sundowning it is worse.
I have managed to get my husband to use a urine bottle. It has given him a sense of immense relief when the floor and his clothes stay dry. However I cannot rely on him using it without a reminder and I do help him if I can, especially during the night. [as long as I wake up].

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Wendy..

I'm not sure if my reply will be helpful or not...

But my husband has a similar problem..on waking usually..he doesn't seem to be able to "get there in time"

He also obsesses about wetting the bed. I buy pull up pants from B***s which give him reassurance through the night..and if he does have an accident they take the brunt of it.

The District Nurses did a continence assessment on him and we now have a Kylie sheet for the bed too...just in case (he's only ever wet the bed once..up to now)

How did I get him to accept the pants? It was hard work as he didn't think he had a problem either...:rolleyes:

I told him it didn't matter ..it wasn't his fault...and if his skin gets wet like that and isn't protected he would become very sore..so the pants were good for him to wear. He can still use the loo "normally"...but if there's an accident there's a measure of protection there. He accepts them readily now.

Have you thought about having a Continence Assessment for your husband? Your GP could arrange this.

Love xx

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Hello

Have you thought about having a Continence Assessment for your husband? Your GP could arrange this. Quote: gigi

Get the assessment, worth it:)
Ron has a sheath, it is like a durex. I put it on, it is attached to a night bag, which is on the floor at the side of the bed. This bag collects the urine, and keeps Ron dry. It works, well, in the main, but that is only if Ron has a disturbed night and tries to pull it off. It does not happen a lot. But under Ron in the bed is a matress protector, on top of that our sheet, on top of that a pound shop plastic tablecloth, and on top of that a towel. The matree has not suffered in any of this;)

Ron started with a bottle, then this did not work.
Now he has the sheath on during the day,as well as at night. This sheath is attached to a day bag. The bag is attached to Rons leg,and very comfy, I can empty it via the stopper at the bottom. No one can see it, and Ron is DRY.:D
Hope this helps.
PM me if you want further info. That applies to anyone:)

Barb XX

Last edited:

Dennis Brown

Jun 11, 2008
Worcestershire
Water Problem.

:)Hi Wendy, I have the water problems with my wife who has \alzheimers & dementia,she will go into the toilet and just looks at it and turns away, sometimes she is wet after several questions regarding going to the toilet, there is no set pattern and she has been assesed but they say it's too inconsistent to be able to help.
She has a pad on the bed which helps at night but even with disposable pants + large pads we have qute a few wet beds.
I am so used to it now I just wash it without thinking about it.
I do hope you get your problem sorted WendyLove Dennis B .

wendyviv

Jun 18, 2009
essex. frinton
Hi thank you all it has been so helpful I would like to know where you get your pants from Gigi as I think Roy would take to them if he thought it would keep him dry. Talking point is so good because we find people that are all going through the same things and I will get more matress cover, thank you all again love wendy:):eek::)

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Wendy, you should be able to get pads/pants through your continence advisor. I suspects it is not incontinence due to lack of bladder control, but increased confusion in his sleepy state.
Disposable or washable Kylie Sheets (mattress protector) are well worth the investment, and like Dennis said: you just get used to the daily rounds of washing :(
You most certainly are not alone with this problem!
Best wishes, C. x

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
He also obsesses about wetting the bed. I buy pull up pants from B***s which give him reassurance through the night..and if he does have an accident they take the brunt of it.

Gigi is saying that she got them from boots the chemist ( I first thought it was a swear word lol ) I am sure we are allowed to say where we brought something from as long as we are not promoting the product, only just helping someone? A moderator will correct me if I am wrong or right ?

I could never get those type of pants from our local authority incontinence nurse, but I have read on talking point it’s all down to post code lottery.

My mother was always getting up in the middle of the night even if mum had pads on for the night time. It must be a life time habit that mum never lost. In still using the toilet even if mum had pads on day or night, as mum still had a lot of cognitive awareness of still using the toilet

I would always find urine on the floor from her bed room floor to the bathroom floor when I woke up early in the morning . , but mum had diabetic anyway her Kidneys was not very good, So mum use to wake up at night time to urinate.
Must say that mum only wet her bed few times, in the 7 years I was looking after mum, Must be harder for a married couple who share the same bed if the person keeps wetting the bed.

Last edited:

wendyviv

Jun 18, 2009
essex. frinton
Hi once again I have so much help from TP, I will get Roy an incont. assessment as it is twice nightly at the moment. I'll keep in touch. I have got some stuff to spray on the carpet as we have 2 18 yr old cats and I don't want them getting the wrong ideas!!! thanks again love wendy::D

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Sheath

With a bag, daytime and night time.
Clean, dry and it works.

Why would you want to use pants on a man.
He is still sitting in his urine,and will be wet.
Get the sheath. Clean and dry. Try it, it works:)

Barb