Family Placement Respite Scheme

dalesman

Feb 8, 2009
Leeds
Has anyone any experience of respite breaks being provided through a family placement scheme? My partner has fairly advanced AD and is dependent on me for all her personal care and it's been proposed that she has breaks at a carer's home, to give me some respite. I can see that it would be much better than sending her for short stays in a residential facility, but I'm worried she'll be upset and disorientated while she's away. It's been a few years since we went away for a holiday, because I didn't think she'd cope. Any experiences - good or bad?
Thank you
John

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Dalesman..I've never heard of this scheme..but it sounds interesting.

Is it like foster care for a short while? And how did you come to learn about it?

Please tell me more....

Love xx

dalesman

Feb 8, 2009
Leeds
Hi gigi
Yes I suppose it's just like regular short-term foster care. The idea is that the person gets to know the carer and family, and feels comfortable in their home. It's the preferred model for respite breaks in this area.
Regards
John

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
I think it sounds wonderful...if the right family is matched with the right person! I assume the "foster family" is checked out etc.

My husband has just returned from a week in a Care Home..and while I benefited from the break I'm not so sure that he did.

It was a huge move for him from our quiet family life to a Care Home...

How did you access this? Was it via SS? Sorry..so many questions..:rolleyes:...but it's such a good idea...!

Love xx

dalesman

Feb 8, 2009
Leeds
Hi gigi
Yes it's a SS referral, and yes the carer's vetted - and trained. Now you know as much about it as I do :confused: It does sound good, I'm just apprehensive about "letting go".
John

foxhound

Jun 26, 2008
Now there's a username with good history! (cf my own!)

It does sound a good idea - but I do see where you are coming from about letting go, and a change of scene. One can't help feeling that a carer coming to stay (just like dog or house sitting) might not be better.

I suppose a first step might be to talk to the people who would be doing the caring and see if you click?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5