Any Advice?

weeze

Oct 4, 2006
nottingham
Right am back off to london tomorrow for a meeting with mum snd her SW to discuss mum moving to a home and the SW is supposed to be doing mums assement for going into a home.
The SW doesn't seem very on the ball, anyone got any tips on things I should make sure are done or are discussed?
Want to make the most of this meeting as mums SW is very hard to get hold of.

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
Morning call check if you can?

Worth checking in morning before you set off that he/she is going to be there? Have turned up at meeting with CPN and SW(in my case 45 mile round trip with 19 month old)only to find CPN there- SW off sick/in meeting/emergency case etc

Just my thoughts..

Love Julie xx

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
I agree with Julie - it's worth double checking that who you are expecting to be there is also on their way.

Otherwise, I'd try to treat it a bit like a work meeting (it shows you are serious and expect an outcome)

Have you an agenda in mind? - list what you want the meeting to cover e.g. Care to date / current situation / future plans / who will do what / timeframes / finances / whatever - We took a list of Questions and ticked them off as we got them answered.

Also, ask the SW to send you a copy of her notes from the meeting (they ALWAYS do notes from meetings - but they dont always issue them afterwards)

lots of luck

e

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi weeze,

As your mother is asking to move into care and be closer to you, you won't have to spend to much time on the issues of consent - unless your mum changes her mind :eek: .

So really, you need to make a case as to why your mother is unsafe in her current situation and stress any aspect that might show that her welfare is in jeopardy.

I think strategically you need to be thinking - from the council's point of view - why does the council need to pay for residential care ? They are possibly thinking: Could she move near to her daughter and be housed in a sheltered housing scheme?

If you can respond to that line of thinking with reasons why residential care is needed, you should have a good case.

Remember, the SS's greatest fear is that some the needs of some elderly, vulnerable person are underestimated and then an accident occurs with all the unwelcome publicity and probing questions.

Take care,