finance and care homes

Hammer

May 20, 2009
Hello I’m looking for help, my wifes mother is suffering from Alzheimer’s and is at the stage where a care home is imminent. My father in-law has no real income or savings but has a house in joint names that is paid for. Will he have to sell the house to pay for his wifes care as she owns 50% of the property? Sorry if this has been covered before, I thought it easier to ask than to search through all the threads.

gemini

Sep 8, 2003
Nottingham
Hi Hammer

I am in a similar situation in that my mother in law has only just gone into a home. The best advice i can give is to tell your Father in law NOT TO SIGN ANYTHING before you've checked it out. DON'T assume that the local authority will neccesarily be working with HIS best interests in mind! THEY WON'T BE! It's a minefield. They tried all sorts of dirty tricks to get my husband to sign a Third Party Top up contract which we later found out would have obligated us to a financial commitment towards MIL's care!

They will come across as all caring and helpfull but ultimately all they want is their money back any way they can get it!!

In our experience they seemed to assume we knew how the system worked! No one explained anything to us. They constantly forget that we haven't been here before? One department will tell you one thing then another department tells you something else. Find out as much as you can yourselves in advance.

Best of Luck.

Gemini