Dreams, Nightmares and Aromatherapy

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
:)This is not medical advice it’s just my own experience

Ever since I was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s I seem to be having some very weird dreams and nightmares which have been getting progressively worse and far more vivid so much so you can get to the point of thinking (was it reality? or is was it a dream?)

But one thing for sure is that it all becomes very disconcerting and disorientating for the confused mind and no matter what I’ve done to try and overcome the problem nothing has helped me “well that is until now” when I was reading about Aromatherapy and how they can help some peoples wellbeing so I decided to give it a try to see if would help me to sleep more peacefully.

I’m using two different aromas; in the lounge/sitting room I use a Lavender aroma which is said to give calmness to body and mind warding off aggression, then in the bedroom I decided to use Jasmine as it’s an aroma I associate with pleasant memories and a very relaxing fragrance and to my great surprise so far they’ve had positive results as I’m not getting so uptight when anything goes wrong as I feel much calmer, and going to sleep of a night time with a beautiful fragrance around me is making me sleep far more peacefully and the dreams aren’t as bad as they where before, so all I can say is that Aromatherapy seems to be helping me, although it might be a case of mind over matter!

Whether it would have the same effect for other people with our illness I don’t know but maybe it’s worth giving it a try for a good night’s sleep and a calmer mind.

Barry

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Morning Barry

It is really good to read that aromatherapy seems to be helping alleviate the severity of the dreams/nightmares:) It sounds like something definitely worth trying.

Love to you and your wife

Annoula

Dec 4, 2008
Greece
this is very interesting Barry.
i used ylang-ylang when i had a cold. i had some drops directly on my sheets and i felt better during the night.
maybe i should use aromatherapy in the house, to calm down my nerves and uprise our spirits.
:)

zoet

Feb 28, 2008
Macclesfield, Cheshire
My dad has always had very disturbed sleep throughout his life, we think due to a form of epilepsy. He doesnt have the same sort of fits now but he does suffer from nightmares sometimes which really distress him. I have used lavender fragrance oil for the last month and not one nightmare. This might be a coincidence, whos to know, but Im carrying on with it for now, even though i cant stand the smell myself, because its definately not doing any harm. I got the idea from my babys bubble bath which has lavender in to calm her at bath time. I use the same bubble bath for dad too now as its gentle an calming. Very calming ambience music also helps dad and it plays throughout the night. Nights are much much better since I have been doing the music and the fragrance.....for him and me!:)

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Hazel

:D:D I think you've just answered your own question :p:p

Love and I hope you are ok

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Barry

I read about Melissa on TP as an aroma helpful for troubled minds. I tried it with my husband, it was made up into a cream and I massaged his head. he enjoyed the massage but it didn`t really calm him. It might help others though.

ra ra

Jun 3, 2009
southampton
Excellent to see a few of you trying aromatherapy. I practice aromatherapy ,reflexology and reiki for macmillan.I know some gp`s, well a few provide complementary therapies to help with anxiety, insomnia etc. Should be available for carers too as is expensive privately.

Lavender is excellent for insomnia.try using few drops on pillow or if too strong a few drops in an earthen ware pot of water on the radiator in the bedroom( i know it`s not winter).

A lovely calming blend 30 mls grapeseed carrier oil and add to that 6 drops lavender, 4 drops frankincense and 3 drps mandarin.massage gently into loved ones shoulders v. soothing or forehead...only use a little.

library has plenty of books if this is deemed unsafe advice.

If your loved one is in a care or nursing home it is worth asking as I know quite a few therapists who work in this field.
love ra ra xxx

foxhound

Jun 26, 2008
On this theme, might be worth highlighting something which has struck me for a long time - smells seem to be remarkably effective in evoking memories - which does seem to suggest that smell connects pretty directly to somewhere fairly deep in the brain. Interesting.

Curiously, though, aromatherapy seemed to have minimal effect on my mother during her very rough patch last year.

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi Barry

Thank you for this information. I have had so many rough nights with these horrible dreams and nightmares, I will certainly give it a try.

I think anything is better than suffering these things which are a living hell, for most people with this illness, and many people don't understand what we go through.

I have tried to talk to my wife about some of these nightmares, but I think she struggles to understand it all.

Still aromatherapy is something that I often thought about, but I confess that I do not understand anything about it.

I was told quite categorically last week, that it is part of the dementia, having these horrible nightmares but my consultant does not believe any of it.

I do wonder where she was trained, as she seems to have little knowledge of dementia's

Thanks again Barry

Best Wishes

Ken

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi Ken,

It sounds as though you should come and see my doctor as she categorically agrees that my nightmares are due to my condition and the medication, but aromatherapy is worth a try, find an aroma that gives you a pleasant feeling of serenity

Cl13

Feb 19, 2009
Cumbria uk
Hi Barry and Ken, I too believe in aromatherapy and if to decide to use it as a massage you must remember to use a carrier oil, its not just another ingredient, essential oils are far to strong to massage on there own.
My husband suffers from RLS and uses oil of orange and chamomile with a carrier oil, lavender mixed with a carrier is nice to massage on the temples at bed time if you prefer.
Oil of orange about 6 or so drops in the bath is good for stress and also has a very calming effect on hyperactive children.
Aromatherapy makes very interesting reading.

Love Lynn