Jezdil

Jezdil

Mar 24, 2009
Does anyone have knowledge of, or ideally experience, of the drug combination Aricept & Ebixa. We are looking to start my mother in law on this treatment at the end of the week!

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Jezdil - I'm moving your post to the main forum because I think more people will see it there.

Welcome to Talking Point by the way :)

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Jezdil

I have not heard of those medications being used in combination - we used them successively for my wife, but not together.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Jezdil, welcome!:)

My husband John had Reminyl and Ebixa together, which is much the same thing.

It's OK to combine Ebixa with one of the other AD drugs, though I haven't heard of them being started together, Ebixa is usually prescribed in the later stages.

Having said that, adding Ebixa to John's Reminyl mad no difference whatsoever, so he was taken off it.

Jezdil

Mar 24, 2009
Sorry-maybe my message is confusing. Mum is currently taking Aricept, but we are looking at adding Ebixa too.A consultant has agreed to perscribe the drug privately,however there is little information to be found on the effectiveness of the two together!

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
All you can do is try it.

I fought long and hard to get Ebixa for John -- and it had no effect whatsoever. But it does work well for some people.

Good luck,

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I found this

"Research in the United States has suggested that combining Aricept and Ebixa is more effective than using Aricept alone. Although this research is not conclusive, there is little evidence to support a contrary view. Ebixa works in a completely different way from the acetylcholinesterase inhibitors, and if a person stopped taking Aricept in order to try Ebixa, their symptoms could become worse, which could then make it difficult to assess their suitability for Ebixa. However, whether doctors will prescribe both drugs together − especially on the NHS − is currently unclear."

from http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=147

I understand, though that you're looking for more personal testimonials. Have you checked the US alzheimer's site? As the combination is more commonly given there, you might get more responses. the site is alz.org. Incidentally I believe that while aricept is called aricept in the USA Ebixa is generally called namenda, so you might want to search for that.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Jezdil,

I have read of people who had initially been prescribed Aricept (or a similar drug - as a class they are called anticholinesterase inhibitors) then moving on to an additional prescription of Ebixa (generic name memantine) - in other words "combination therapy".

I did a quick search and this result looked fairly good and credible:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/581273

Try typing the following text into Google and you will find more:

anticholinesterase inhibitors memantine "combination therapy"

Many of the results may be research-oriented publications, but they can sometimes be useful.

Please let us know how you get on, as this was a route I was hoping would be available to my mother-in-law (currently on Aricept) when the time comes.

Take care,

Sandy

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hi Jezdil,
My mother is currently on Reminyl and Ebixa. I think it did help her for some time, particularly with behavioural issues. I don't think the meds having much of an effect any more but I refuse to have her taken off them while she still capable of taking them by mouth. We've (my sister and I) been satisfied with the effects.

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Hi Jezdil

Please let us know how you get on, as this was a route I was hoping would be available to my mother-in-law (currently on Aricept) when the time comes.

Yes, I too would be very interested to hear how you get on as my husband is currently just on Aricept.

Thanks

carol

Jun 24, 2004
Surrey/Hampshire
My mother in law takes Aricept and Ebixa together, and has done so for several years. I cannot say whether it has improved things, we have never noticed any difference , she was prescribed Aricept many years ago, and then when we heard of someone in our Alz. group being prescribed both my husband asked, and mother in law was put on both. Maybe by still being on the meds. it has slowed down the progress of the disease, rather than make any improvements. She is now in a nursing home, unable to communicate properly, doubly incontinent, is only mobile when walked with a carer, cannot weight bear on her own, has pureed food, cannot feed or drink by herself, is totally reliant on others, but she has been like this for 2.5 years, actually looks physically ok for a 86 year old, maintains a good weight because we ensure that she gets lots of food and drink, usually a family member is present at mealtimes, (not breakfast) M in law was officially diagnosed with Alzheimers over 10 years ago.

Territa

Jan 10, 2008
Hi Jezdil

My mum has been on Aricept for over five years, she is declining a lot quicker now. Mum was put on Ebixa 2 months ago. She seemed fine at first, she seemed to be a little more aware. Unfortunately this seemed to make her a bit more depressed as it seemed she was more aware of the fact she was not remembering things and started saying she was stupid. This seems to have settled now as her antidepressent was increased. It seems to be all swings and roundabouts. I have slowly come to realise that the docs. can be as baffled by this illness as we are, and seem to go by what we the carers say. What may work one day may not work they next so to speak. So this has probably not helped you at all Jezdil, sorry

Terri

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77