Mums in hospital

susiewoo

Oct 28, 2006
Bromley Kent
Mum has succumbed to a urine infection and has spent 48hrs very poorly on an IV plus antibiotics. Is now waking up and responding so great sighs of relief all round.
What I find so frustrating is the attitude of the nurses. I speak as a nurse myself but if I had ever behaved as some of these girls have then I would have been disciplined.
Mum wanted to go to the toilet and gets very agitated when she is busting to go. Asked named nurse for help to get Mum to toilet......'I'm just going on my break and will be back to sort her out later'

Over an hour went by and no sign of nurse. Eventually went and found her and told her that Mum was sodden up to her chest perhaps she could come and sort her out now!

They don't want you to stay and help during meals but keep writing 'meal refused' on Mums chart. Yes it is struggle to get her to eat but with time and patience it can be done..obviously they don't have the time so why not use me?

They can't get her out of bed until the physio is available...my sister and I walked Mum up and down to day with a zimmer frame with no problems...Mum getting stronger all the time. Left to the staff she would still be in bed getting muscle wasting.

Their way of coping with Mum staying awake all night is to say that such patients are normally sedated....Mum does not tolerate sedation and tends to still be awake but more liable to fall over. I had already told the doctor that she was not to be sedated and if needs be I would stay with her but then we are back to the no staying policy!!!!!!!!!!!AGHHHHH!!!!

germain

Jul 7, 2007
Hi Susiewoo,

I'll second your opinion of some nurses (not all) - we had huge problems each time our Mum went into hospital.

However, a litle bit of digging in of heels helped.

I used phrases such as

"if you're not going to look after her then I'll just stay and do it " - stated as fact - not a question or asking for permission.

Calm use of the words - neglect, starvation, unprofessional, at risk etc.

The situation re neglect was clarified for us when I helped Mum to the loo - OK very slowly - and afterwards was told by her nurse "oh but Mrs L*** can't walk at all ! "

I kept an icy politeness in public and then came onto TP threatening to "deck them" It helped enormously to have somewhere to let off steam and helped me keep my cool on the ward.

Try PALS in the hospital for help and advice, your Mums consultant for an appointment re her treatment and get the name of the Chief Exec.

Good luck and hope your Mum is out soon. Once UTIs are treated the recovery can sometimes seem nothing short of miraculous.

regards
Germain

Valeria

Sep 25, 2008
Staffordshire
I am so sorry you are going through this. I know exactly how you feel. My husband was admitted to hospital just after Christmas, he needed patience and encouragement to eat and drink, but had none. His stay there was two weeks, during which he lost half of his body weight and went down to just over four stone.
After a lot of paper work and telephone calls, I eventually had him transferred to a wonderful home. He passed away on
January 18th and his funeral is 3rd February.

My heart is breaking, as it does when I read some of the stories on here.

I do hope your mother will be alright. Someone suggested PALS.....go for it, they are marvellous.

Take care.

Much love ...Anya x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Susiewoo, I think that's disgraceful.

There's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't come in and feed your mum, I did that when John was in hospital, and it saved the nurses time, as they had one less to feed, as well as ensuring that John ate well.

I was thrown out at bedtime, because it was a men's ward, relatives could only stay with patients in single rooms.

Refusing to take your mum to the toilet is appalling, and I's be inclined to complain about that. So many people with dementia leave hospital incontinent, when it wasn't a problem before.

Try PALS, this sort of thing shouldn't still be happening.

suzanne

Jul 25, 2006
wiltshire
Nhs

My blood runs cold when ever I read a message about poor quality nursing care. I too was a nurse, gave it up to look after mum as I was never happy with what I had witnessed over the years of the standards of care for dementia patients,I had a terrible time with the hospital at the last admission for my mother so much so the whole family has agreed that she will never go into hospital again. PALS are a start but do not leave it with them, they are just likely to bury and bully you out of a complaint, copy everything to the CEO of the hospital,the local press and I even went as far as emailing the Prime Minister, just to get it off my chest.Nothing was done, nothing was changed but they have the knowledge that I wouldn't let it lie.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
However, a litle bit of digging in of heels helped.

I used phrases such as

"if you're not going to look after her then I'll just stay and do it " - stated as fact - not a question or asking for permission.

Calm use of the words - neglect, starvation, unprofessional, at risk etc.

The situation re neglect was clarified for us when I helped Mum to the loo - OK very slowly - and afterwards was told by her nurse "oh but Mrs L*** can't walk at all ! "
regards
Germain

Susie, this is excellent advice from Germain (with my emphasis added). Stay for meals - they really should appreciate the help. Don't let them pressure you into leaving if you want to stay. Be pleasant, smile a lot and don't budge an inch.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I also agree with Germain. Mind you, on the whole hospital food was very unappetizing for my mother so I would take food in for her anyway.

I found, having had experience of US hospitals the whole NHS, the patient and visitors are a nuisance, approach both shocking and depressing.

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
Mum has succumbed to a urine infection and has spent 48hrs very poorly on an IV plus antibiotics. Is now waking up and responding so great sighs of relief all round.
What I find so frustrating is the attitude of the nurses. I speak as a nurse myself but if I had ever behaved as some of these girls have then I would have been disciplined.
Mum wanted to go to the toilet and gets very agitated when she is busting to go. Asked named nurse for help to get Mum to toilet......'I'm just going on my break and will be back to sort her out later'

Over an hour went by and no sign of nurse. Eventually went and found her and told her that Mum was sodden up to her chest perhaps she could come and sort her out now!

They don't want you to stay and help during meals but keep writing 'meal refused' on Mums chart. Yes it is struggle to get her to eat but with time and patience it can be done..obviously they don't have the time so why not use me?

They can't get her out of bed until the physio is available...my sister and I walked Mum up and down to day with a zimmer frame with no problems...Mum getting stronger all the time. Left to the staff she would still be in bed getting muscle wasting.

Their way of coping with Mum staying awake all night is to say that such patients are normally sedated....Mum does not tolerate sedation and tends to still be awake but more liable to fall over. I had already told the doctor that she was not to be sedated and if needs be I would stay with her but then we are back to the no staying policy!!!!!!!!!!!AGHHHHH!!!!

Oh boy does this ring true with me!! You MUST stand your ground and speak out.

I DID!!

My Mum (sadly died 30th December) was admitted to hospital with UTI and suspected TIA (I still don't know whether or now she had one....). She was also in early stages of dementia, made worse by UTI. My Mum had suffered from anxiety all her life, so at 91, together with severe visual impairment, was very, very anxious about her current predicament and needed family support. She also needed a special diet due to colitis, otherwise she would have diarrhoea.

The first day on the ward, I went in at lunchtime with her food and was promptly told off for being there during "protected mealtimes". My Mum was desperate to see me, in fact she was crying with relief. I tried to find her false teeth (!!) and was thentold I should not be there. I had to walk out and leave her crying.

I decided I was going to ignore the power policies of those who thought they knew best and continued with my lunchtime visits. My Mum had various tests and was diagnosed with clinical depression. I learnt this from accidentally bumping into her Consultant. I asked him what I could do to help and he said "be there as much as you can, although I realise it's difficult". I said "so I can visit any time?". He said "Yes" so I took that as carte blanche to continue with my lunchtime visits with Mum's special diets. Between whiles they fed Mum food differing from her diet and she developed diarrhoea so had to be moved into a single room - total disaster for someone virtually blind and with clinical depression. No stimulation whatsoever. I continued with my lunchtime visiting only to be reprimanded by the Consultant "What are you doing here? We look after your mother, you need to look after yourself otherwise we have 2 patients not 1". I promptly burst into tears and was put in the nurse's room to recover.

I decided to ignore his reprimand and continued daily with my lunchtime visits, sitting quietly in a corner. My Mum was prescribed an anti-depressant, which made her giddy and feel sick. She was then prescribed an anti-emetic, which seemed to make her very sleepy so I asked for her to be taken off this (on a Sunday). They obliged. During the rest of the week I watched her deteriorate into a zombie, hunched over, crying, wailing, calling incessantly for me and asking for tablets to end it all. I raised my concerns with the staff nurse and asked for her to be taken off the anti-depressant. They said they would mention it to the Consultant on his next visit, which wasn't until the end of the week. By Thursday she was so ill and almost in a coma they phoned the Consultant and she was finally taken off the anti-depressant on the Friday and put on a drip. What I didn't realise was she was DEHYDRATED because nobody was popping in to that single room to ensure she was drinking, bearing in mind she was also visually impaired!!! So she ended up in bed on a drip, caught the first chest infection (I think it could have been avoided). Also, 1 day I left with Mum on the potty at 2pm and returned at 5pm to find her still on the potty and in pain!!

Between whiles I ended up in floods of tears of frustration in the Chaplain's office, complaining that a single room was not the right environment for my Mum. It took 3 horrific weeks for them to move her, despite my incessant complaints, during which time motivation and mobility were lost.

She was moved to a lovely ward with 3 others, which was comforting. However, I noticed a deterioration on Christmas Day when she would not get out of bed (the antibiotics and drip had been stopped). No doctors visited the ward Christmas Day, Boxing Day, or Saturday, or Sunday following (4 whole days - in hospital......). On the Sunday she was hallucinating wildly until she was purple in the face. I ran to see the staff nurse who told me patronisingly "she is just confused". When I asked when the doctor had last seen my Mum I was told "the doctor has only seen those patients who are seriously ill, just go home and don't worry. If anything changes we will phone you". I received a phone call at 6:30 am on Monday to say my mother had taken a turn for the worse and on Tuesday she died from broncho-pneumonia.

SPEAK UP, is my advice to anyone.

Coming home from the funeral I realised I had lots of unspoken business to complete before I would be able to move on, so I wrote to the Clinical Director at the Hospital and have received an acknowledgment that "my complaint" will be dealt with in the next 21 days.

My gut feeling is that there seems to be no recognition of the family's "emotional" needs and also a slow uptake on comments made by family who from years of caring recognise changes in their loved ones far better than hospital staff who perhaps have known the patient for only a few days.

SPEAK UP!! And apologies for waffling, but I probably needed to write all that down.....!! Thank you. Good luck Susiewoo and SPEAK UP!!

Last edited:

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Mary W how I admire your post and your fight for your mother. We were a bit like that with my mother in law. She had a stroke, and they were prepared to write her off within days. No speech, no movement, no understanding. I visited and talked to her, she was just lying there. I asked for her to be propped up to possibly prevent pneumonia. They did that, what a good idea, said one nurse! After about 4 weeks, she started to speak to me. Speak. It was a jumbled incoherent mumble to them but to me it was speech. I told her we had decorated the kitchen at home. She said "Does it look nice?". Clear as day. I told her that Catherine had a new job, and she said "Is she enjoying it?". There were lots of things she responded to. I put this to the nurse who told me she was only responding automatically, she did not understand what I was saying. Eh? In week 5, she pointed to a male nurse, and I didn't know why she was pointing to him. I said "Has he done something to you?". Answer "Yes". I asked "What has he done?" and she pointed to her wedding ring finger, which I had not noticed was bare. She said "Rings taken". I went immediately to the office and said My mother in laws rings are missing do you have them? Answer No. So I told them of the male nurse being pointed to by my mother in law, and said he had taken them. It turned out that they were in his pocket, he said he had removed them because her fingers were swollen (not) and had intended depositing them in the safe. I am now wearing them.

So Mary, speak out, do your best, accept no ****, believe nothing, it shouldn't be like this, but it is.

Stay strong and keep asking us lot for support when you need it - every day if necessary.

Love

Margaret

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
I also agree with Germain. Mind you, on the whole hospital food was very unappetizing for my mother so I would take food in for her anyway.

When Mum was in hospital last year, I took all her food in.
If you saw the meals:eek:
Why is this still going on ?

Barb x

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
he said he had removed them because her fingers were swollen (not) and had intended depositing them in the safe. I am now wearing them.

So Mary, speak out, do your best, accept no ****, believe nothing, it shouldn't be like this,

I am at a loss
Speak out, YES.

Barb X

susiewoo

Oct 28, 2006
Bromley Kent
Thanks to all of you who responded to my message......have been fully occupied with the snow to get back online.......!

Managed to get moved back to the home on Monday despite the weather and she is flourishing. No antibiotics prescribed from the hospital and yet Mum still had obvious symptoms of UTI. Her GP came to the rescue on Tuesday and things are improving.

Mum still knocked sideways by this episode and if left to the hospital would still be in bed if not worse.

To be honest I'm not sure I have the strength to fight these battles any more..nothing seems to improve as other people have had similar or worse experiences.Perhaps thats the worst thing...we are all so worn out that the fight seems too overwhelming.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Susie

I'm glad your mum is now flourishing and that the GP has come to save the day with the necessary antibiotics:) I know what you mean about the constant battles but you are battling for your mum and she is benefitting. Have a rest now and recoup some of your energies:)

Love