Registering an Enduring Power of Attorney

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
Hi FS

Almost any solicitor will do a certified copy for you. They just run it through the photocopier, and then the person will stamp it with the solicitor’s rubber stamp and sign on the stamp. I think it should be stamped and signed on each page.

Most solicitors will do this for you, though one has refused me. Amazingly this was a posh branch of the solicitor who had produced the original Power of Attorney.

There is no fixed price so it might be worth ringing one or two to see what they charge and if you need an appointment. The last certified copy I had done was by the local “no win… no fee” solicitor who said he was happy to produce a Certified Copy free of charge because he hoped I would remember the good service and come back when I had someone for him to sue.

Clive

myheadisinaspin

Nov 6, 2008
marlow bucks uk
Myheadinaspin:

I assume nothing has been drawn up? So you're talking about drawing up an LPA? (Lasting Power of Attorney that supecedes the old Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA) ) And your mother is still competent enough to do this?

Sorry for all the questions.

yes we are at the begining just goes to show i cant even get the name right hehehe

gill@anchorage5

Apr 29, 2007
Southampton
Enduring Power of Attorney - beware mounting costs!

Good evening all

Just a word of caution - I am in the process of totting up total cost for geting enduring Power of Attorney in place for Dad. The process has taken over a year and at latest reckoning - costs to solicitor & payments to the Office of the public Guiardian is approx £1,500!!!! Well above what we thought it would be.

Before making the latest payment requested by our solicitor I am going to ask for a full breakdown of all payments which have been made to date.

Ironically in the time this has taken to go through we now have attained NHS continuing care for Dad - so it is no longer necessary for me to be able to access his funds!

Kind regards to all

Gill

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello - £1500 sounds to be well over the correct level!! I cannot remember how much it took to draw both our EPAs up with a city solicitor some years ago - not more than £200. Then last year I registered directly with the OPG at a cost of £120 including two extra copies.

Perhaps you have expensive solicitors. :eek::eek:

worth you questioning it with them.

Love Jan

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
The court fees for LPA registration are higher (£150 per each type of LPA) so that would be £300, but I can't help feeling that even with the fee you also have to pay to the professional to attest to capability £1500 is pushing it.To be fair there is more to drawing up LPA's and there are two of them, but even so...

Sueholloway

Jan 7, 2009
Somerset
Hi

If you use Royal Mail Special Delivery it should get there, I'm told that post people are sacked if any of those go missing so they make darn sure they get delivered.

Sue

johne

Jan 8, 2008
Essex
Hi

If you use Royal Mail Special Delivery it should get there,
Sue

Also with Special Delivery you can, for a bit extra postage, insure against 'consequential loss'. So you could insure the original EPA/LPA for the consequential cost of arranging to be a deputy (you wouldn't get a new EPA/LPA because you wouldn't be registering it in the first place if the donor was still capable).
john.

fredsnail

Dec 21, 2008
Thanks for all the people who replied about where to get certified copies.

We didn't get copies when it was registered - but I've phoned the Office of Public Guardian and they will do 2 copies free of charge if I write and ask them.

That's one job for tomorrow then :D

fs

seaside

Sep 5, 2008
Just sent off EPA

I have got this in the post - my post office were not sure that consequential loss would be covered but I quoted this site, paid the fee and am hoping I will not have to find out! I got a certified copy of the EPA bfore I posted it, but I don't know if that would be accepted by the office of the public guardian if it came to it.

When it came to telling mum in law (as the law requires) we luckily got her on a lucid day, and she started talking about the car tax being due. From there it was an easy step to say 'you are right. You know you set up that power of attorney form, would it be a good idea to register it so we can take care of all that sort of thing for you as you are stuck in hospital?' She was able to agree (not a requirement I know, but it made her daughter feel better about it).

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
If it was necessary they would accept the certified copy, particularly as you have proof that you sent the original to them. I also hope you won't have to find out :)

Auntiep

Apr 14, 2008
Midlands
Solicitor???

I've downloaded the forms and will be filling them in for Mum. Is it necessary to involve a solicitor? I wonder whether the form can be completed and signed/witnessed, etc without a solicitor?

Has anyone else completed/registered an LPA without usuing a solicitor?

Thanks

Auntie P

Stephen Hants

Jan 2, 2007
hampshire
Hi - Yes I completed an LPA without a solicitor - it took me two attempts to get it right. A missed tick in a box caused the first form to be be rejected completely. It was a bit more complicated becuase I lived away but the SW was good in agreeing to sign and witness which saved some time. I found that the online system didn't give me all the forms ( maybe I missed some) but after the first rejection the the OPG sent me everything I needed. Best of luck. I'm sure the collective experience on here could answer any queries you have and it will save you a lot of money.

fredsnail

Dec 21, 2008
I completed without a solicitor too - I got a diy pack from WH Smiths.

If you use one of these packs I would recommend using the cd for instructions - they do each box and form step by step, where as the paper instructions are not as detailed.

Stephen Hants

Jan 2, 2007
hampshire
I completed without a solicitor too - I got a diy pack from WH Smiths.

If you use one of these packs I would recommend using the cd for instructions - they do each box and form step by step, where as the paper instructions are not as detailed.

I only came across that after I'd completed mine - it's good to know they are good.

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
LPA question

Can someone tell me what happens when you have registered the LPAs successfully, and you need to prove to someone that you have LPA for your parent (in my case). For instance the bank or DWP. Will I need to get copies to send to them as proof? Do these copies need to be from a solicitor or will any old photocopy do?
I helped mum prepare hers and we sent them off to OPG ourselves, with no solicitor involvement. She was also eligible for fee exemption, so haven't had to pay anything as yet!
Thanks,
Gill x

fredsnail

Dec 21, 2008
I had to send off a copy for the DWP for Grandad - the copies haven't come from the Office of Public Guardian yet so I took the original to the Job Centre Plus office and they copied it for me and stamped it etc so I sent that copy off.

They didn't charge me for it as I explained I'd been asked to send a copy off to DWP.

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
Hi Gill

You will need a Certified Copy of the LPA to show to or send off to anyone you are dealing with on behalf of the Donor (your loved one). Others on this site have got free Certified copies from the Office of the Public Guardian though I got mine from the local No WIN – NO PAY solicitor who did it free of charge as he believed it was good publicity for his company.

In theory you should just have to prove who you are (passport and utility bill), and present the Certified LPA, to be able to do anything as if you were the person who gave you the LPA. In practice it is usual to have to show identification for the person who gave you the LPA as well. It can save a lot of arguments to take plenty of documentation.

Recently it seems to have got easier to use a LPA but I would still recommend leaving yourself plenty of time when opening new bank accounts or dealing with officials. In my experience most clerks were half asleep when being trained about LPA usage and need slow careful delicate handling. Never leave the car in a one-hour parking zone or need to pick the kids up from school.

Clive